Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ADK

Our defence after the penalty?

I don't really want to watch the replay of the match but i'm confused why we had absolutely no defence when they scored. What were our defenders doing? Surely they don't need to be up for the penalty? It seemed completely unprofessional, surely as a defence you should be acting as though the penalty will be missed and the opponent will break but we were completely out of position. It was almost like our players thought **** it and allowed them to score.

Guest ttfn

I don't think this has been brought up enough.

Seriously, what the hell happened? This wasn't like Brentford last week. For them it was shit or bust. For us, we had 30 minutes of extra time afterwards. We didn't need everyone up.

King (I think it was) did ok to cover but didn't tackle, Schlupp didn't seem to make the challenge. Keane (I think it was) was out of position, so De Laet had to cover when Morgan went over. Who knows what Kasper was doing either with the star thing.

But we can all think/say 'what if'. We probably shouldn't have had that many players forward.

We're shite at defending, players are constantly and severely out of position. We threatened to be caught out like that all match.

It was not an acceptable way to concede a goal. Their second was terrible as well, and  for the first chance Vydra had Dyer was at right back and was our last defender.

But that last goal should never, ever have happened. They should be embarrassed.

Yep. Cannot believe one of Morgan, Kasper on Nigel didn't think to mention that he might miss, they might get the ball and we might need to defend for 30 more minutes. Schoolboy stuff. Think they were all wanting to be the first one to jump in the crowd to celebrate. Ended up seeing who could be the first one to avoid being mobbed by laughing Watford fans. 

Enough of the Captain Hindsight ****, I was screaming 'boot him into touch' at the time. They break with pace, that's how they score goals. I'm amazed you didn't know that at the time.

Exactly, even you knew they could break with pace if we missed. Why didn't any of our team, squad or coaches think of that? 

Something I've been banging on about all season.  The reason for this was lack of experience in the side especially in the midfield.  What we lack is an old head who dictates the play.  Somebody in the Gary McAllister mould who'd have marshalled them after the penalty miss.

Archived