Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Oxford Match thread

Let's not carried away with Wilcox. It was only a friendly after all. He'll have to impress me against Sheff Utd next week before I start singing his praises (and to some extent the same applies to MDV). Although I'll admit that 2 goals for Wilcox and a goal for De Vries was just what they both needed to boost their confidence.

I listened to the game and it really didn't sound like Oxford were a match for City once we upped the tempo a little. I don't want to sound pessimistic but Sheff Utd will prove a much sterner test...I'd be delighted if we got a draw from the game...

Just a friendly but I would have hated to have lost before the start of the new season.

147159[/snapback]

;)

I really don't know how important friendly results are. I'd imagine all the players will have nearly forgotten the Oxford game come Saturday. After some intense training and the season opener to look forward to, the Oxford game is most likely out of the system already...

First half was dreadful...

Second half complete turnaround, i was stunned at Wilcox's ability to score twice. The first Wilcox goal was fantastic football.

One thing i worry about is the Dublin De Vries partnership, it was woeful again. It's worse than the Akinbiyi Trev partnership.

Source - An Oxford Perspective + pictures

A fantastic performance by United again.

By Big_ox

Date: 31/7/2005

Leicester were not 2 goals better than united as the scoreline suggests but a tough performance gave many players Pride and passion back in time for season opener in Grimsby.

Foxes prove too strong.

A deceptive 3-1 scorline looks as though leicester had it easy but Oxford matched lem throuought the 90 minuets.

A tough first half saw neither side able to make the breakthrough despite a number of chances.

Talbot Replaced Tardif with Turley in goal so they both had a full game in the pre seasons, Basham was also replaced Craig Davies to partnet the Prolific Bradders up front.

Jude Stirling and Rob Hughes were also given a chance to try to impress enough to earn a contract Stirling on the bench Hughes starting.

Stirling and Hughes to sign?

Brighton and Leicester may both be in the championship but the sides were leagues apart on their displays. Where Oxford easily brushed Brighton aside within the first quarter of an hour it soon bacame aparent Leicester were going to be a completely different kettle of fish.

Dion Dublin had Turley under pressure as early as the fourth Minute, but the reformed druggie managed to tip the ball over the bar.

In a real end to end match Bradders hit his shot at the Foxes keeper in return.

Just after the quarter hour mark Hargreaves placed a delicate pass for Bradders to put away but the usually prolific forward couldnt quite get the lift required to chip the keeper as Douglas saved well.

Bradders come close for Yellows.

Ten Mins later Davies fed Robbo who crossed instead of going round the whole leicester team, the subs, all the south stand and then scoring as he did against brighton, the cross came to Bradders but before he could make contact Johansson managed to take the ball of the unlucky strikers toe.

With the first half coming to a close Sylla forced a good save from Turley in what started to be a prolonged attack from the Visitors with De Vries and Dublin all being foiled.

United were still giving the visitors plenty to worry about as they proved they were not going to be the walk overs they were expected to be as the sides went in at the break goalless.

Half time saw a change in the heart of the defence that has remained so solid throughout the pre season matches as Jude Stirling was brought in to replace the Injured John Ashton.

With the second half only four minutes old Sylla launched a surprise surprise attack and passed through to the on running Mark De Vries who finished well past the advancing Turley to give the visitors the lead.

Sylla his Surprise Surprise attack put Vries through.

a few minutes later a brilliant header from Mansell cut out another Sylla effort as the foxes pushed for a second.

Oxford were attacking for an equaliser when Jude Stirling lost the ball on the edge of the Leicester box before the yopungster could get back Leicester had got the ball up field to Jason Wilcox who fired home.

Bradders made way for Basham and trialist Hughes made way for young Ben Weedon just before the hour mark as Talbot hoped a fresh pair of legs would give us the momentum we needed.

Shortly after Turley was replaced Injured after tweaking his groin and Tardif took up his rightful place back in the United goal.

Davies then made way for Danny Morgan keen to impress after a long injury has ruled him out of first team football.

Dublin threatened Tardif's goal but a bullet off the aged star's head flashed wide, before Tardif then managed to deny the striker as he ran on to a through ball. Leicester were piling on the pressure and it was only a matter of time before they extended their lead and could relax.

Again it was Cilla who masterminded the move cutting in from the right and Tardif could only pat the ball into the path of the advancing wilcox who slammed the ball home.

All credit to Oxford they didnt let their heads drop as has happened in previous seasons but they battled hard and were rewarded virtually straight away as Hackett took a corner, it was flicked on by Basham to Danny Morgan who rose above everyone else and headed the ball into the net to give the Fans hope of a revival.

Morgan gets the Yellows back in it.

six Minutes later Oxford could have pulled another back but as Morgan put Hackett through he was adjudged to be off side in what was a glorious scoring opportunity.

Basham fired over a couple of momens later as oxford failed to give up as thay did so many times in previous seasons.

As the clock ticked down Chris Hackett was replaced by McCleary probably so the youngster could get the accolade he deserved.

Oxford gave a fantastic performance and were unlucky to lose by 3 goals to 1 but they will have taken heart from the team work yes i said TEAM WORK they showed and the never say die attitude of so many of the players. The team is on a high lets home as we travel to Lincolnshire for the start of the season for the third season in a row we can make it 2 wins on the opening day out of 3.

Brian Talbot has given my team something which they have not had in a long while PRIDE.

the boys are playing with pride and Passion they are really loving the game and playing their hearts out for a place on the team as morale is so high lets home come may the league position is as high as the morale we have at the moment.

Source - An Oxford Perspective + pictures

A fantastic performance by United again.

By Big_ox

Date: 31/7/2005

Leicester were not 2 goals better than united as the scoreline suggests but a tough performance gave many players Pride and passion back in time for season opener in Grimsby.

Foxes prove too strong.

A deceptive 3-1 scorline looks as though leicester had it easy but Oxford matched lem throuought the 90 minuets.

A tough first half saw neither side able to make the breakthrough despite a number of chances.

Talbot Replaced Tardif with Turley in goal so they both had a full game in the pre seasons, Basham was also replaced Craig Davies to partnet the Prolific Bradders up front.

Jude Stirling and Rob Hughes were also given a chance to try to impress enough to earn a contract Stirling on the bench Hughes starting.

Stirling and Hughes to sign?

Brighton and Leicester may both be in the championship but the sides were leagues apart on their displays. Where Oxford easily brushed Brighton aside within the first quarter of an hour it soon bacame aparent Leicester were going to be a completely different kettle of fish.

Dion Dublin had Turley under pressure as early as the fourth Minute, but the reformed druggie managed to tip the ball over the bar.

In a real end to end match Bradders hit his shot at the Foxes keeper in return.

Just after the quarter hour mark Hargreaves placed a delicate pass for Bradders to put away but the usually prolific forward couldnt quite get the lift required to chip the keeper as Douglas saved well.

Bradders come close for Yellows.

Ten Mins later Davies fed Robbo who crossed instead of going round the whole leicester team, the subs, all the south stand and then scoring as he did against brighton, the cross came to Bradders but before he could make contact Johansson managed to take the ball of the unlucky strikers toe.

With the first half coming to a close Sylla forced a good save from Turley in what started to be a prolonged attack from the Visitors with De Vries and Dublin all being foiled.

United were still giving the visitors plenty to worry about as they proved they were not going to be the walk overs they were expected to be as the sides went in at the break goalless.

Half time saw a change in the heart of the defence that has remained so solid throughout the pre season matches as Jude Stirling was brought in to replace the Injured John Ashton.

With the second half only four minutes old Sylla launched a surprise surprise attack and passed through to the on running Mark De Vries who finished well past the advancing Turley to give the visitors the lead.

Sylla his Surprise Surprise attack put Vries through.

a few minutes later a brilliant header from Mansell cut out another Sylla effort as the foxes pushed for a second.

Oxford were attacking for an equaliser when Jude Stirling lost the ball on the edge of the Leicester box before the yopungster could get back Leicester had got the ball up field to Jason Wilcox who fired home.

Bradders made way for Basham and trialist Hughes made way for young Ben Weedon just before the hour mark as Talbot hoped a fresh pair of legs would give us the momentum we needed.

Shortly after Turley was replaced Injured after tweaking his groin and Tardif took up his rightful place back in the United goal.

Davies then made way for Danny Morgan keen to impress after a long injury has ruled him out of first team football.

Dublin threatened Tardif's goal but a bullet off the aged star's head flashed wide, before Tardif then managed to deny the striker as he ran on to a through ball. Leicester were piling on the pressure and it was only a matter of time before they extended their lead and could relax.

Again it was Cilla who masterminded the move cutting in from the right and Tardif could only pat the ball into the path of the advancing wilcox who slammed the ball home.

All credit to Oxford they didnt let their heads drop as has happened in previous seasons but they battled hard and were rewarded virtually straight away as Hackett took a corner, it was flicked on by Basham to Danny Morgan who rose above everyone else and headed the ball into the net to give the Fans hope of a revival.

Morgan gets the Yellows back in it.

six Minutes later Oxford could have pulled another back but as Morgan put Hackett through he was adjudged to be off side in what was a glorious scoring opportunity.

Basham fired over a couple of momens later as oxford failed to give up as thay did so many times in previous seasons.

As the clock ticked down Chris Hackett was replaced by McCleary probably so the youngster could get the accolade he deserved.

Oxford gave a fantastic performance and were unlucky to lose by 3 goals to 1 but they will have taken heart from the team work yes i said TEAM WORK they showed and the never say die attitude of so many of the players. The team is on a high lets home as we travel to Lincolnshire for the start of the season for the third season in a row we can make it 2 wins on the opening day out of 3.

Brian Talbot has given my team something which they have not had in a long while PRIDE.

the boys are playing with pride and Passion they are really loving the game and playing their hearts out for a place on the team as morale is so high lets home come may the league position is as high as the morale we have at the moment.

147480[/snapback]

And this report was from people who use...

2005073100540940.jpg

...in their reports.

I didnt see the game but from what i made out from other reports we seemed to deserve the victory.

Archived