Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Leicester City should fear no-one in the Championship - Ritchie De Laet

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-City-fear-Championship-Ritchie-Laet/story-19504183-detail/story.html#axzz2Yj8CwkHT

Leicester City should fear no-one in the Championship this season, says defender Ritchie De Laet.

The Belgian full-back said City are capable of handling any challengelb_icon1.png they face in what is a notoriously difficult Championship.

QPR, Wigan and Reading are all expected to be strong after relegation from the Premier League, while the likes of Nottingham Forest, Bolton, Watford and Brighton are all expected to be in contention again.

But with the season kicking off in under four weeks at Middlesbrough, De Laet, pictured, said City were in confident mood, spurred on by the memory of their play-off semi-final exit at Watford last season.

"It doesn't matter which clubs are in there, it is a tough league every season," he said.

"It will be tough again this season but there is nothing we can't handle.

"We are all a year older now. It was my first full season in the Championship, and it wasn't just me, there were loads of us experiencing it for the first time.

"But we have more experience now and we know what it is all about. Hopefully, we are better prepared for the new season.

"We are a tight group and, with no-one leaving, we all know each other's game and personalities. Hopefully that will help us."

De Laet admits his experience at Watford, when City crashed out in added time in dramatic fashion, had galvanised the City squad.

"It took me a few days to get over it, but you have to get yourself over that," he said.

"It has made everyone more determined. We came so close, everyone is hungry to taste success."

He's spot on. I just hope he puts it into practice. Fear is without a doubt the biggest barrier from promotion in this league IMO. I'd love us to go away from home and take the same attitude we have at home games - go in and try and dominate from the off. We will take the odd beating but we'd get more points from it over the whole season. I really don't see why so many managers allow themselves to almost worry about playing away from home. Just cannot get my head round it.

De Laet will be a crucial part of the team especially if Knockaert plays on the wing, I think a Gareth Bale type change into a winger would suit him.

I'd like us to try this:

Kasper

Moore Morgan New CB

RDL King James Schlupp

Knocky

Wood. Nuge

As would I but I fear with these financial problems and our seemingly punctured muscles in the transfer window, we won't have the power to strengthen where we need.

Totally agree with your side though. We'd be outrageous going forward.

He's right, we've nothing to fear.

I'd feel happier if we could offload Wellens, Gally, Danns & SSL to get low enough below the FFP ceiling to be able to bring in 1 or maybe 2 to strengthen though. Even Beckford too is still not done yet

Our position of HAVING to massively reduce the wage bill seems to be working against us as the paltry £800k agreed fee is turning into a sticking point (not that we'd see any of that money as that's apparently the value of the final payment required to Everton, but other clubs know our position which is why they're able to have our pants down offering us **** all knowing we have next to no choice, making a further mocker of the last management structure... like I said at the time that splurge will hinder us for years to come.

anyway, all that matter is that the squad performs with the tempo it did in the first 2/3rds, and the final 1/3rd of the season is put behind us.

We'll be up there, I have no doubt but Bolton have incredible momentum and still benefit from meeeelions in parachute payments as do the relegated clubs, Forest may be owned by a clown, but Davies is no fool and will be up there too, the relegated clubs could get quite a shock though, just like the last 3... It's very rare (if ever) that all of them challenge near the top.

Said before that he should be made into a winger ala Bale. De Laet is very good going forward, has a lot of pace and fairly decent in the air but defensively he is far from solid. Even if we kept 442, I like the idea of playing Moore at right full back behind De Laet.

Said before that he should be made into a winger ala Bale. De Laet is very good going forward, has a lot of pace and fairly decent in the air but defensively he is far from solid. Even if we kept 442, I like the idea of playing Moore at right full back behind De Laet.

Completely agree. Hope this is tried in the friendly, then put Knocky or Marshall on as attacking midfielders - seriously as apparently his is where they play better

De laet as a winger lol

He doesn't have the touch or the skill to be a winger, he is best attacking wise when he breaks from his own half and commits opposition players and creates more space.

De laet as a winger lol

He doesn't have the touch or the skill to be a winger, he is best attacking wise when he breaks from his own half and commits opposition players and creates more space.

No he doesn't have the skill, but that's why we should have coaches to improve that part of his game isn't it? He isn't good defensively, I've said it before and got slated, but it's true.

No he doesn't have the skill, but that's why we should have coaches to improve that part of his game isn't it? He isn't good defensively, I've said it before and got slated, but it's true.

He is more than good enough at this level, made the most tackles in our team last season. He is already a good right back and we have good enough wingers already without having to use him on the wing and sign a new right back.

I've never taken to De Laet. I don't even know why, he doesn't elicit any feeling from me one way or another. Perhaps it's the sheer averageness that gets my back up.

But I think he's wrong. True, it's the right thing to be saying but right now I reckon there's about half a dozen teams that are better than us.

Archived