Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbage Fox

Only Championship Team to have signed no-one

The fact that 5th and 6th place were record low points totals and the so called weak teams got relegated on record high totals would suggest that a lot of other managers couldn't outthink or outplay them either. Or maybe they weren't as weak as you think

This points to a weak division, which is what it was last season.

A weak division filled with a collective of weak teams. Considering who we are, the club, the stadium, the fairly decent attendances, the supposed wealthy owners, isn't it about time we broke away from the collective weak group?

This points to a weak division, which is what it was last season.

A weak division filled with a collective of weak teams. Considering who we are, the club, the stadium, the fairly decent attendances, the supposed wealthy owners, isn't it about time we broke away from the collective weak group?

Why does it mean they're collectively weak? Peterborough were the form team in the last few months, taking points off just about everyone and went down. That doesn't mean everyone they took points off was weak.

It always has been and always will be the case that teams in this division are weaker than teams in the top division but that doesn't mean they're weak. Just that the gap between the top and bottom of the division has narrowed a bit.

The reason we haven't broken away is we were suffering from a post-administration hangover until Mandaric. Our chance of breaking away was blown by Martin Allen and blamed on Holloway. Our next chance of breaking away was blown by forcing Pearson out and our last chance was blown by the Sven administration in one mad season of spending, forcing us into the position we're in now. A manager who has both hands tied behind his back, unable to get rid of the players we need to get rid of and unable to bring players in yet curiously blamed for it all.

We're unlikely to be breaking away any time soon. At least not untill the players handicapping our club are gone.

It is possible however, we have a decent squad which I expect to make the play offs again and this time, that bit of luck might go our way for a change. Just don't expect anything better than that just because of who we are. The size of our club will have little to no effect under FFP for a couple of years at least and then we'll still be handicapped by relegated teams having massive parachute payments.

It's just as possible that our chance of breaking away has gone forever

Why does it mean they're collectively weak? Peterborough were the form team in the last few months, taking points off just about everyone and went down. That doesn't mean everyone they took points off was weak.

It always has been and always will be the case that teams in this division are weaker than teams in the top division but that doesn't mean they're weak. Just that the gap between the top and bottom of the division has narrowed a bit.

The reason we haven't broken away is we were suffering from a post-administration hangover until Mandaric. Our chance of breaking away was blown by Martin Allen and blamed on Holloway. Our next chance of breaking away was blown by forcing Pearson out and our last chance was blown by the Sven administration in one mad season of spending, forcing us into the position we're in now. A manager who has both hands tied behind his back, unable to get rid of the players we need to get rid of and unable to bring players in yet curiously blamed for it all.

We're unlikely to be breaking away any time soon. At least not untill the players handicapping our club are gone.

It is possible however, we have a decent squad which I expect to make the play offs again and this time, that bit of luck might go our way for a change. Just don't expect anything better than that just because of who we are. The size of our club will have little to no effect under FFP for a couple of years at least and then we'll still be handicapped by relegated teams having massive parachute payments.

It's just as possible that our chance of breaking away has gone forever

Last season was the best chance we've had for years, and it still hurts that they threw it all away during that dismall nosedive run of the last 1/3 of the season.

Lets just hope the league is equally crap next season - I very much doubt it, but here's hoping.

It could end up being a good thing not signing anyone because that same squad which yes albeit failed but with a full season together behind them and a few of them being together for 2 years we could have a good settled team and a great team spirit. Whereas Forest splashing the cash like we did could see them fail badly like we did because they trying to build a team really quickly. Just a theory.

I'm really not looking forward to the season were the only team not preparing for the season by brining in fresh faces. I don't care what the reasons are Wigan, watford, forest, QPR and reading all look stronger than us now. We win do well to finish the season in top 6, IMO it will be 8/9!

I have followed this topic for a bit and to be honest the squad we have should have gone up last year.  I can't remember for a long time us having such a talented bunch of players so it isn't really that surprising that we haven't been signing anyone.  Also, with the new financial constraints that I don't begin to totally follow we may have been expecting this and so signed players last year.  The club has really shown that it will hold onto our best players and we need to get rid of the players on high wages who don't perform. 

But -I'm sure we would be able to get offers for Waggy & Vardy.  Presumably Vardy is not on top wages.  IMO for both these players there is a mountain to climb to prove themselves at Leicester but they may go elsewhere and prove a great success.

Big successes last time for me were Schmeichel, Schlupp on his return from Utd and why not try him in a more attacking role, Morgan, DeLaet, Knockaert, Dyer, James when he came into the team, King and the Chris Wood we saw in the early days, Nugent but only latterly.  I like as players Marshall and Drinkwater but they have not been bedded into the formation to get the best out of them. I thought Moore was good too. Keane would be a good addition if available.

It could end up being a good thing not signing anyone because that same squad which yes albeit failed but with a full season together behind them and a few of them being together for 2 years we could have a good settled team and a great team spirit. Whereas Forest splashing the cash like we did could see them fail badly like we did because they trying to build a team really quickly. Just a theory.

I actually agree.  We have a young squad that did reasonably well last season. For 10 years we have brought in new faces for the new season and it hasnt really improved our position at all. Bringing in new signings disrupts the team (and can of course improve the squad) but I am pretty confident that we have an ok situation for the coming season. We dont need to gel a number of new signings, the team has gone through a "lot" in the past season (to say the least) and I think that we will be a force to reckon with. S prove me wrong by May 2014..:)

Archived