Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Winnershfox

Financial fair play

Would like to debate this. The reason is that I am confused by the rules. Why is it that Forest can spend spend spend surely increasing their salary budget above the limit. Clubs coming down from the prem seem to be above the rules. Quite frankly i am confused by the whole system. Can somebody please clarify!.

I wonder if forest are buying their players now, cheaply while the markets slow, ignoring GDP. If they get promoted they get a fine, if not they get a transfer embargo and have to keep the same, decent squad assembled at a reasonable price. The only problem I can see is they can't freshen up or add to the squad if they have long term injuries.

I think Top had a masterplan to buy in loads of players in 11-12 so that when FFP comes into play 13-14 we could sell many of them off generating a decent sales income. Unfortunately it all went tits up when players signed high wage contracts and started playing shite.

Not really about FFP but just a fact if anyone's interested. I just read that when our owners first took over they were worth just £240 million but now just a few years later they are now worth £1.6 Billion, that's quite remarkable really and they're worth more than anyone in this league other than QPR's owners and worth more than a lot of Premiership teams owners

Doesn't the fact that teams such as us have now stopped our extravagant spending mean that FFP is sort of working? Sure some of the rules are still a sham (how parachute payments and FFP can coexist is beyond me). The threat of huge fines and transfer embargoes means that we haven't spent £3-4m this summer as we probably would have

Works both ways though, no other business can you go in and loan a load of money to it, take it back in other ways and then if goes wrong watch it go bankrupt and instead of going to prison for a long time you just go home.

When do business people go to prison if their companies go bankrupt?

Are you aware of what the bankers got away with?

Not really about FFP but just a fact if anyone's interested. I just read that when our owners first took over they were worth just £240 million but now just a few years later they are now worth £1.6 Billion, that's quite remarkable really and they're worth more than anyone in this league other than QPR's owners and worth more than a lot of Premiership teams owners

Not sure how reliable those numbers are since they operate mainly in a market with much less regulation than over here. But I wouldn't be surprised if they've made that kind of money. They own lots of prime land in a booming country and own the entire duty free complex at the world's most visited aiport, amongst other delicious pies. They are seriously rich by now. Just a shame they can no longer offer much help to us.

Guest MattP

When do business people go to prison if their companies go bankrupt?

Are you aware of what the bankers got away with?

Some bankers, some still made money for their banks with their investments, had those bankers who lost a fortune gambling and creating the private debt that helped caused the crash been taking interest payments to their own accounts from their company they would have been in serious trouble with the law. Let's be honest what a lot of football club owners do isn't too far removed from embezzlement.

Not sure how reliable those numbers are since they operate mainly in a market with much less regulation than over here. But I wouldn't be surprised if they've made that kind of money. They own lots of prime land in a booming country and own the entire duty free complex at the world's most visited aiport, amongst other delicious pies. They are seriously rich by now. Just a shame they can no longer offer much help to us.

Doesn't even bother me, maybe a stable young side with no changes is what we need.

Everytime this club has had money to blow in my lifetime we have spunked it up the wall and ended up in a mess.

Yeah it just amazes me how much their wealth has grown in such little time, I think our little Sven period of spending will benefit if we did get promotion as I cant see the owners doing a QPR with all their money now especially not with Pearson but I do think they will invest in other areas which will be good

Doesn't even bother me, maybe a stable young side with no changes is what we need.

Everytime this club has had money to blow in my lifetime we have spunked it up the wall and ended up in a mess.

It won't bother anyone while we're winning. Might change when we're sitting around in mid-table and unable to bring in the one decent Pearson-friendly winger we need to push us into the play offs.

Agree with the last paragraph. More down to crap managers though. I reckon Pearson would do a pretty astute job even with a massive budget.

It won't bother anyone while we're winning. Might change when we're sitting around in mid-table and unable to bring in the one decent Pearson-friendly winger we need to push us into the play offs.

Agree with the last paragraph. More down to crap managers though. I reckon Pearson would do a pretty astute job even with a massive budget.

I'd like to see a list of all the players signed by NP along with their transfer fees to weigh up just how 'astute' he has been. I suspect he's been largely successful.

Guest MattP

Wouldn't argue one bit with the last line.

I'd like to see a list of all the players signed by NP along with their transfer fees to weigh up just how 'astute' he has been. I suspect he's been largely successful.

Link for last season:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/leicester-city/transfers/verein_1003_2012_default_default_alle_a_default.html

Net transfer spend of just £1.5m, resulting in a much younger squad and a better league position. This while we were still being called "big spending Leicester". If you add on this year's business he has now brought in more money in the transfer market than he has spent.

I get frustrated with NP as much as anyone but when you look at the big picture it's hard to argue with what he has achieved.

You mean lend us money to be paid back with intrest.

Sorry I'm glad it's over we are not and never have been a rich club and the sooner people understand that the better.

The fact they let whoever at the club waste the money in the first place is the reason we are in a mess now.

You mean lend us money to be paid back with intrest.

Sorry I'm glad it's over we are not and never have been a rich club and the sooner people understand that the better.

The fact they let whoever at the club waste the money in the first place is the reason we are in a mess now.

Yeah they shouldn't have trusted the manager to make the right signings. They should have made their own signings and forced them onto the manager. Everyone loves it when owners do that.

Yeah they shouldn't have trusted the manager to make the right signings. They should have made their own signings and forced them onto the manager. Everyone loves it when owners do that.

Was more thinking huge wages on no mark players loans of unfitt players.

Or do you love us being top of the debt league.

• 1 month later...

I'm confused.

Just looking at the football league website http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html

Sanctions

Failure to stay within the defined limits will lead to the imposition of sanctions.

However, there will be no sanctions implemented during the first two seasons (2012/13 and 2013/14) in order to give clubs a sensible period of transition.

From the 2014/15 season, sanctions will be introduced that will differ depending on whether the club ultimately remained in the Championship, was promoted to the Premier League or was relegated to League 1.

i. Sanctions for clubs remaining in the Championship

Clubs that fail to comply with the Financial Fair Play regulations (from December 1st 2014) will be subject to a transfer embargo. This embargo will come in to force ahead of the subsequent transfer window beginning on January 1, 2015.

Does this mean that FFP sanctions fines/transfer embargo doesn't come in until next season?  Aha re-reading it

I think it is the poor wording - failing to comply from 1 dec 2014 - how will anyone know until the figures are in, in dec 2015?

The whole thing's a joke anyway as the penalties aren't any kind of deterrant.

Clubs like Forest will just spend a lot on big transfers before FFP comes into force, then a tranfer ban won't matter cos they've done their shopping already. And I don't think a Kuwaiti sheikh or Thai billionaire will mind being fined.

It needs penalties based on point deductions or refusal of promotion - that's the only thing clubs will listen to.

That said, I think it's done us a bit of a favour anyway, creating stability and encouraging good housekeeping in the club. Anything that tries to improve the way the game is run can't be such a bad thing.

Archived