Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Henry

from the Mercury

HAS HENRY PLAYED HIS LAST POST HORN GALLOP?

More News | Back to home page

BY TOM PEGDEN

10:30 - 12 August 2005

For two years he has welcomed football players onto the pitch in his riding boots and jodhpurs, blasting out the Post Horn Gallop.

Now, Henry Shipley has been left heartbroken after being told he is no longer needed to play as the teams run on to the pitch at the Walkers Stadium, in Leicester.

Instead a recorded version of Leicester City's signature tune will be played just before kick-off.

Henry can still play the tune - and did at the match against Stoke on Tuesday - but has been offered a spot 15 minutes before kick-off, when the stadium is barely half-full.

Henry says he is now in two minds about whether to take to the pitch ever again.

Mr Shipley, of Syston, said: "I do not want to hang my post horn up. I still want to go down there and play, but I do not feel like playing when there are no people in the stadium.

"At the moment I'm even hesitant about whether I should go down on Saturday or just take my seat and watch the match.

"I could even go down and say I'm going to play it for the last time. I'm in a puzzle."

Following a public appeal in the Mercury, Henry, who was recently diagnosed with leukaemia, was brought in to rouse the fans in 2003. In the 1930s and 40s he played in brass bands at the Filbert Street ground.

Although unpaid, he said he and wife Cathlyn get free season tickets.

The club says it has asked Henry not to play just before 3pm because they are trying out new pre-match music packages - including tunes by Leicester band Kasabian and Oasis - with Henry and his 1939 horn taking a lesser role.

Fans' websites are buzzing over what should be done with Henry. He hopes they will call for his return.

Henry said: "When you go on 15 minutes before, there's nobody there. I'm playing to no-one, but when I come back before kick-off everyone is there and I'm playing to a crowd. I'm very disappointed."

Club community manager Angela White, who broke the news to Henry, said the change was made after consulting fans.

She said: "I accept that he was upset when I told him but we still want him to play 15 minutes before, as he did against Stoke.

"With the recorded version, when the teams come out, we can get the fans clapping along.

"I think fans are of the same opinion.

"Of course it would be a shame if Henry hangs up his post horn. I hope he continues to play."

Foxes Trust spokesman Steve Lewitt said: "The ultimate decision was the club's, but the trust was invited to comment and we polled our members.

"The response was extremely mixed."

Fans' websites are buzzing over what should be done with Henry. He hopes they will call for his return.

155512[/snapback]

Poor Henry....I think he'll be disappointed if he thinks the fans message boards will save him.

Thats a bit harsh!

Poor bloke is only followinf tradition

155527[/snapback]

Exactly. I feel for him, he must be gutted, but there's no need to rub it in chaps!

Thats a bit harsh!

Poor bloke is only followinf tradition

155527[/snapback]

Sorry, but it is not harsh at all and it is about a season too late. We went through the two decades of playing the PHG over the tannoy and it was good enough for everyone back then.

His renditions were dreadful and he thought we were all applauding him!!!!! At least Oasis and Kasabian are football fans and modern and it means something to the majority of people at the game.

Traditionally we played it recoreded and I am glad we have returned to that. Hopefully he'l decide against trotting out at 2:45pm as well.

Poor Henry....I think he'll be disappointed if he thinks the fans message boards will save him.

155514[/snapback]

We are called the 'Foxes' yet the traditional post horn gallop will never be heard again at 3pm.

Next thell get rid of the recorded version and put CRAZY FROG on...

I feel for henry, and you youngsters should look at what makes our club different.

GUTTED! :angry:

The poor guy is only following tradition and he does it well. I have always enjoyed seeing Henry for the past few years and i will be disappointed if he stops. He's an old man who's doing something that he enjoys and i enjoy seeing him doing it. I think you're all being a bit harsh on the poor man.

Sorry, but it is not harsh at all and it is about a season too late.  We went through the two decades of playing the PHG over the tannoy and it was good enough for everyone back then.

His renditions were dreadful and he thought we were all applauding him!!!!!  At least Oasis and Kasabian are football fans and modern and it means something to the majority of people at the game.

Traditionally we played it recoreded and I am glad we have returned to that.  Hopefully he'l decide against trotting out at 2:45pm as well.

155550[/snapback]

Henry is a football fan...he loves Leicester.

Leicester is a club full of tradition and the PHG is part of it. He was doing no harm what so ever playing it live. When he does its sense the club are in touch with history and it shows the fans play a big part in it.

Traditionally we didnt play it recorded as we havent always been able to.

We are called the 'Foxes' yet the traditional post horn gallop will never be heard again at 3pm.

Next thell get rid of the recorded version and put CRAZY FROG on...

I feel for henry, and you youngsters should look at what makes our club different.

GUTTED! :angry:

155551[/snapback]

yet the traditional post horn gallop will never be heard again at 3pm. :blink:

It was tradition about 80 years ago! The past 10 seasons have been recorded- so you could say that was the 'new' tradition.

Yes he may like doing it, but he cant do it! you look around and everyone is cringing and laughing at him for doing duff notes. Recorded version has always been better...

We love you Henry, we do. We love you Henry, we do. We love you Henry, we do. Oh, Henry we love you!

I think you should keep on playing mate! :D

155574[/snapback]

Ive got a song for Henry.

**** off Henry , Henry **** off :D:D;):unsure::rolleyes:

I can understand Henry not wanting to play to a less than full stadium at 2.45, but maybe getting it played twice live in 15 minutes was too much ?.

If the teams are due out at 2.55, could he not walk into the centre circle a minute earlier, give the first few blasts of the PHG to announce that the teams arrivial is very soon.

Then at 2.55, the teams enter the pitch to the recorded version ?

Archived