Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Henry

Ta. I think it'd be good publicity for city. They could reassert their position as a family and community orientated club. You can imagine it, in the Mercury. There's a picture of old Henry in the studio giving it some and a little piece about how great it is for the lifelong city fan. Classic PR stunt!

Sad to hear about Henrys condition but no matter how much you want to do something if you're crap at it sorry, bye!

Otherwise i'd be in a Leicester shirt out on the pitch every week.

The guy was an embarassment and this news has made my day, nice one City!

Sad to hear about Henrys condition but no matter how much you want to do something if you're crap at it sorry, bye!

155677[/snapback]

Agreed i am sorry to hear about Henry's condition but im glad he's gone , so long Henry :)

from the Mercury

HAS HENRY PLAYED HIS LAST POST HORN GALLOP?

More News | Back to home page

BY TOM PEGDEN

10:30 - 12 August 2005

For two years he has welcomed football players onto the pitch in his riding boots and jodhpurs, blasting out the Post Horn Gallop.

Now, Henry Shipley has been left heartbroken after being told he is no longer needed to play as the teams run on to the pitch at the Walkers Stadium, in Leicester.

Instead a recorded version of Leicester City's signature tune will be played just before kick-off.

Henry can still play the tune - and did at the match against Stoke on Tuesday - but has been offered a spot 15 minutes before kick-off, when the stadium is barely half-full.

Henry says he is now in two minds about whether to take to the pitch ever again.

Mr Shipley, of Syston, said: "I do not want to hang my post horn up. I still want to go down there and play, but I do not feel like playing when there are no people in the stadium.

"At the moment I'm even hesitant about whether I should go down on Saturday or just take my seat and watch the match.

"I could even go down and say I'm going to play it for the last time. I'm in a puzzle."

Following a public appeal in the Mercury, Henry, who was recently diagnosed with leukaemia, was brought in to rouse the fans in 2003. In the 1930s and 40s he played in brass bands at the Filbert Street ground.

Although unpaid, he said he and wife Cathlyn get free season tickets.

The club says it has asked Henry not to play just before 3pm because they are trying out new pre-match music packages - including tunes by Leicester band Kasabian and Oasis - with Henry and his 1939 horn taking a lesser role.

Fans' websites are buzzing over what should be done with Henry. He hopes they will call for his return.

Henry said: "When you go on 15 minutes before, there's nobody there. I'm playing to no-one, but when I come back before kick-off everyone is there and I'm playing to a crowd. I'm very disappointed."

Club community manager Angela White, who broke the news to Henry, said the change was made after consulting fans.

She said: "I accept that he was upset when I told him but we still want him to play 15 minutes before, as he did against Stoke.

"With the recorded version, when the teams come out, we can get the fans clapping along.

"I think fans are of the same opinion.

"Of course it would be a shame if Henry hangs up his post horn. I hope he continues to play."

Foxes Trust spokesman Steve Lewitt said: "The ultimate decision was the club's, but the trust was invited to comment and we polled our members.

"The response was extremely mixed."

155512[/snapback]

**** off then, ungrateful bugger. If City offered me the chance just to set foot on the pitch to play a tune of any sort i'd take it as i'd feel proud to do it.

Durnerz you the man. Can't agree more, AND THE UNGRATEFUL B*STARD AND HIS WIFE GETS A FREE SEASON TICKET!!!

Here you go mate a couple of season tickets , just stand in the middle of the pitch looking like a twat and blow into that tube thing, then wait for everyone to laugh at you then turn around with your arms in the air, then walk off.

"you can stick your ****ing trumpet up your arse....# :):):)

Durnerz you the man. Can't agree more, AND THE UNGRATEFUL B*STARD AND HIS WIFE GETS A FREE SEASON TICKET!!!

Here you go mate a couple of season tickets , just stand in the middle of the pitch looking like a twat and blow into that tube thing, then wait for everyone to laugh at you then turn around with your arms in the air, then walk off.

"you can stick your ****ing trumpet up your arse....# :):):)

155693[/snapback]

:laugh:

Oh you'll go to hell you know.

All the FTalk do-gooders will be bursting blood vessels in anger at that statement.

:laugh:

i gotta admit that this news of henry going is cracking news .thanks for your efforts but now lets have the recorded version back !

my ears are overjoyed :scarf:

Personally I'd rather listen to a hundred Henrys blowing their horns, duff notes and all, rather than some electronic crap coming out of a tinny speaker (like every other club in the country)

Stay on mate-you've got my vote. And ignore the 12 year olds on this forum. They'll miss you when you've gone....

Personally I'd rather listen to a hundred Henrys blowing their horns, duff notes and all, rather than some electronic crap coming out of a tinny speaker (like every other club in the country)

Stay on mate-you've got my vote. And ignore the 12 year olds on this forum. They'll miss you when you've gone....

155780[/snapback]

i'm 26 thanks and certainly won't miss his shit music one little bit, from day one of him being here i've been against it. It's two years too late in my opinion.

He ruins the atmosphere, when the old music was played PROPERLY over the tannoy the crowd got up for the game. His playing makes people want to run away.

We can all pick on peoples ages mate, just because peoeple are young on here doesn't mean their opinion is worth less than yours. We could say only old farts like you and henry like it.

155677[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly.

I sympathise with him because of his health problems, but just because he is old and loves playing the PHG to a big crowd it shouldn't give him the automatic right to play at the WS forever. He has had his 15 minutes of fame and has got 2 free season tickets, he should be proud of what he has done and achieved.

Times move on and he should understand that. He wasn't good enough, simple as that. He should know himself that he was lucky to be in his position and that it wouldn't last forever. There's no use in complaining about it and throwing your toys out of the pram now Henry - if you don't want to play again at the WS you won't see anybody begging you to make one last appearance.

Goodbye Henry, let's move on now.

It's amazing how many people used to criticise his playing and all that and now some hack does a sympathy story in the Mercury and it's all bad news.

He has health problems (which is unfortunate), but so do a lot of other City fans but they don't get an out poring of sympathy on these boards. The 2 faced nature of City fans has never been more evident this week. First everyone claims they knew de Vries would come good ( <_< ) then they are up in arms about some sideshow at a FOOTBALL game. :mad:

This isn't the same Leicester City I started supporting back in the 80's :thumbdown:

It's amazing how many people used to criticise his playing and all that and now some hack does a sympathy story in the Mercury and it's all bad news.

He has health problems (which is unfortunate), but so do a lot of other City fans but they don't get an out poring of sympathy on these boards.  The 2 faced nature of City fans has never been more evident this week.  First everyone claims they knew de Vries would come good ( <_< ) then they are up in arms about some sideshow at a FOOTBALL game.  :mad:

This isn't the same Leicester City I started supporting back in the 80's  :thumbdown:

155790[/snapback]

exactly, a friend of mine who i got to know through another friend went to every game she could, and passed away in the summer. She had throat cancer but you dont hear no sob story for her :mad:

(She is having her memorial service at the LCFC garden if anyone wanted to pay respects - Sunday 12pm)

He has health problems (which is unfortunate), but so do a lot of other City fans but they don't get an out poring of sympathy on these boards.  The 2 faced nature of City fans has never been more evident this week.  First everyone claims they knew de Vries would come good ( <_< ) then they are up in arms about some sideshow at a FOOTBALL game.  :mad:

This isn't the same Leicester City I started supporting back in the 80's  :thumbdown:

155790[/snapback]

Its not because of that at all for me if you read back through my posts I've always said I liked Henry playing :D

'Cos he is/was an embarrasment to the club , every time he played the PHG it made me cringe  :ph34r:  :(  :cry:

155585[/snapback]

That wasn't his bloody fault though was it!!! He loves doing it as he is passionate about the club.

Lay off him and stop being so pig-headed.

I do feel for his condition, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, but I think we've offered him a good deal really and he's knocking us back (maybe) because he wants more. To me that doesn't sound like something a Leicester fan would do. I'm not disputing that he is a fan but if he loves the club he should be grateful that he gets what he does from the club and gets to do what he does. He gets to park outside the ground for nothing and every other fan has to pay for a parking pass, he gets into every home game for nothing in the better seats in the house along with his wife and he gets to walk on the hallowed turf twice every week. The only thing that's changing now is he walks on the hallowed turf once a week.

I was undecided about him before but I think the club have tried to reach a happy medium between himself and the fans and he's considered turning it down. I'm sorry but I think you've abused your privelege Henry. Good luck to him with his illness but it's time for a change now.

That is an excellent suggestion, I think you should let the trust see this idea.

Well done.

155644[/snapback]

Just read the post & forwarded to other Trust board members to gauge a reaction.

We are still working on re- recording Smilin, maybe this could also feature on the CD (and it could be note perfect then)

Info on the Trust's & the Fans Forum role in all of this:

The club are reacting to feedback from fans during several Fans Forum's over the last 12 months. From our survey it appeared older fans enjoyed Henry playing, younger ones hated it. The results presented to the club were:

Q3 Henry playing the Post Horn Gallop live has received criticism from a number of fans, which statement best expresses your current view:

a) I like Henry playing it live & think he should continue 38.5%

b) I believe Henry should play the Post Horn Gallop live at some games 7.8%

c) Although I liked Henry playing live initially, I think its time for a change 15.1%

d) I’ve always preferred the recorded version of the Post Horn Gallop 32.4%

e) I believe the live version of the Post Horn Gallop has a negative effect on the build up of the atmosphere and should be dropped 3.9%

We then summarised the stats to the club as follows:

So the majority want a change, yet over a third still in favour, but few want selected games - difficult one (certainly seems to turn younger fans off), in additional comments several fans suggested dropping the 15 min prior part & just play live as the players come out, maybe a compromise of just playing once?

- and that compromise they have taken up which following the last Fans Forum meeting those attending overall said they preferred him playing 15 mins before the start with recorded PHG as the players come out

all decided no knowledge of any illness

Archived