Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

Newcastle post match thread

People who bring up Dyer keep missing the point. Yes, I found it hard to see him leave, but he's at the other end of his career and he really is all about pace.

It is also important to stress the fact that we got him from MK Dons when he was already 26 years old and thus pretty much a finished article.

And he spent 90 percent of his career with us in the Championship, one season in League One and it is still questionable whether he would have made the cut in the Premier League at all.

On the other side, we have Jeffrey Schlupp.

A 21-year old youngster who has been deployed in many positions throughout his career so far, found it hard to break into the team, had his trials and tribulations and who is far from fulfilling his true potential yet.

How some of you can compare the two is beyond me.

But Dyer wasn't just about pace - he was about belief in himself.

I'd doubt there's much difference in pace betwen Dyer and Schlupp but Dyer kept persisting when he got into the front third. Yes, he could be so frutstrating but there was always this air of expectation because if things went wrong a dozen times, he'd still try again til he was too knackered to run anymore.

Schupp is so responsible you'd hardly know he has some of his ability. What you get from him is mostly predictable with the odd highlight when he gets behind the opposition or a one-on-one. He needs letting off the leash as he was when he scored a hat-trick in a cup match up against Rotherham once. 

That day lots of his influence came from central positions, places where he had options.

At Newcastle we offered him so few options.

Attackers need options but against Newcastle we gave him so few. Dyer would still have had a go but Schlupp doesn't have that make -up. If there's nothing "on" he looks to keep the ball but too often there was nothing and certainly not the kind of pass-and-move situations which might get him round the back of defenders.

THE FACT 0F THE MATTER IS DYER IS GONE, AND WE HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT,

AS FOR JEFF, NICE ENOUGH LAD BUT PREMIER QUALITY NO WAY.

II THINK NIGEL NO LONGER KNOWS WHO TO PLAY AND WHAT SYSTEM TO PLAY,

IF ANYONE COULD PREDICT THE TEAM FOR SWANSEA THE BOOKIES WOULD LAY 100 TO ONE.

PERSONALLY I WOULD PREFER NUGENT AND VARDY UP FRONT, IT WOULD BALENCE THE TEAM,

BETTER, ULLOA KNOWS WHERE THE GOAL IS ALLRIGHT BUT AT WHAT COST TO OUR MIDFIELD AND DEFENCE

AS THEY ARE CARRYING THE EXTRA BURDEN OF LOW ENERGY UP FRONT.

You're right about the 100/1 and most everything else too.

It's amost like pre-season with so many options being bandied around. Yet none are particularly convincing because we don't seem ot have signed anyone who's categorically better than what we had, and that includes Dyer.

Yes, I can see the quality in Cambiasso's touch and organisational ability. But has he really stood out and made a difference? 

The rest....I'm underwhelmed and probably wouldn't recognise any of them in the street apart from Ulloa who did look a danger for a while and now seems to have been neutered by our own approach and complete lack of the right kind of support for a striker of his kind.

Reflecting right now I'd give us no more than three or 4/10 for our shopping in the close season yet I thought we were supposed to have this  wonderful scouting and development system.

Well, I can't wait to see it all come to fruition because the seeds should be germanating by now.

There's little doubt that Dyer is a more effective left winger than Schlupp. While inconsistent, Dyer always required attention because of his frightening pace and he'd more often than not get the ball into the box because of his raw pace. Moreover, he wouldn't be doubled up on as much as he was in the Championship as PL teams often tend to leave the full backs to deal with their wingers, especially against the lower clubs. He also worked hard and contributed defensively so there's no problems there, unlike with Knockaert.

He's by no means the perfect player but he's a better option on the left wing than both Schlupp and Knockaert, and to think he's sat on Watford's bench when he could be playing in the PL for us is a very frustrating thought.

So why can't he get a fame for Watford in the championship then?

Archived