Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alexikokopops

Dubstep

:dunno:

Says exactly what it says on the tin.

As a long standing jungle/dnb fan I just find the music very boring and monotonous.

The bass I hear in different dubstep tunes isin't original and has been used for years in dnb, just at a slower tempo.

Personally I like music which at least progresses but I just find with dubstep your left wanting more. I can just bare it as background music, but the thought of going to a night which consists of nodding your head non stop doesn't do it for me.

The one exception is burial and I have been feeling a few of his tunes but again to me I wouldn't say that's your conventional dubstep and is at least more musical.

I have time after time tried to give it a chance and I have countless mixtapes but still it just doesn't do it for me. Ive listened to all spectrums of dubstep and most producers on the circuit but still can't get into it.

As a fan of low bass I do appreciate that aspect but just find the fragmented beats so boring.

Just last night round my mates he was mixing some dubstep tunes and after a spliff all I wanted to do was fall asleep on his sofa. I have had this argument loads with my dubstep loving friends and it always goes round in circles. I respect what people like and that is just my opinion and you probably wont like it but that's music everyone has different tastes. :thumbup:

I'm getting smacked off my tits on ecstacy pipes and going to a dubstep festival a week today with my (former) neighbour. It says festival, it's one night. I know nothing about dubstep really except I should probably be on some kind of drug cocktail. This is going to be fun.

Anyway, lets talk dubstep. I'm going to learn overt his next week and be an expert by Friday.

:D drop a bit a stone in there and have a pop on that

Come! We can snort ketamine and rub MDMA into each other's gums. It will be romantic.

:D You learn somethin new every day! Careful how often else you might end up like me and no-one wants that! '91 to '06 on full boar action like that had an effect :eek:

Says exactly what it says on the tin.

As a long standing jungle/dnb fan I just find the music very boring and monotonous.

The bass I hear in different dubstep tunes isin't original and has been used for years in dnb, just at a slower tempo.

Personally I like music which at least progresses but I just find with dubstep your left wanting more. I can just bare it as background music, but the thought of going to a night which consists of nodding your head non stop doesn't do it for me.

The one exception is burial and I have been feeling a few of his tunes but again to me I wouldn't say that's your conventional dubstep and is at least more musical.

I have time after time tried to give it a chance and I have countless mixtapes but still it just doesn't do it for me. Ive listened to all spectrums of dubstep and most producers on the circuit but still can't get into it.

As a fan of low bass I do appreciate that aspect but just find the fragmented beats so boring.

Just last night round my mates he was mixing some dubstep tunes and after a spliff all I wanted to do was fall asleep on his sofa. I have had this argument loads with my dubstep loving friends and it always goes round in circles. I respect what people like and that is just my opinion and you probably wont like it but that's music everyone has different tastes. :thumbup:

Fair play. My post was more confusion over what you meant by "poor mans drum n bass". Although there are similarities I don't think dubstep is trying to be slowed down drum n bass or anything like that, for me the best dubstep sounds like reggae with an edge. Stuff like Bay Area Dubstep (thanks Hairy!) for example.

We're coming at this from the same angle. I've been listening to drum n bass for over 10 years now, occasionally mixing it and doing the London clubs. What I love about dubstep though is that it sounds fresh which only a small section of drum n bass producers are achieving at the minute. For me there's not loads going on past Intalex, Commix, D Bridge, Break, Calibre, Lynx, etc. The pure liquid sound has been caned, the dark stuff hasn't really gone anywhere and the RAM Records anthem factory is starting to get a bit samey.

Dubstep makes a nice alternative when the relentless rewinds get a bit much! Like you I'd not be that bothered about a just dubstep night but I love it when it's there as an option alongside dnb.

As you say though it's all about opinions and taste and if it doesn't do anything for you then fair enough. Sounds like you've given it a good go at least...

• 10 months later...

That tune hairy posted is more 2 step than dubstep but it's quality nevertheless.

I'd recommend looking around a site called Boomkat, they have loads of good stuff on there. Am not listening to as much dubstep as I used to but I'd recommend Distance (two good albums), obviously Burial, Clubroot (think someone recommended them on here), Starkey, King Midas Sound and anything else on Hyperdub (they have a 5 year anniversary album out called 5: Five Years of Hyperdub, which is quality).

Archived