Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alexikokopops

Dubstep

I don't think Skrillex has ever claimed to be anything to do with dubstep, if anything it's mainly fidget house. I've been into Skrillex for a while now and a lot of his best stuff isn't particularly dubby at all. His earlier stuff is genuinely innovative.

Plus I'm not happy with the idea that, just because he's recently started getting Radio 1 airplay, that he's some kind of candy-floss, faux-underground, populist, popstep monster.

All that said, I think his take on dubstep is brilliant.

Eg. this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOfficialSkrillex#p/u/42/8aScLKxAVXI

(Sorry, can't get it to inbed)

Shame, I quite like Foreign Beggars (Asylum Speakers is a great album) and was actually quite intrigued to see what they had done with Skrillex. As it happens that tune is absolute gash. It's not because it's him, it's THAT sound. That screechiness. So far removed from the quality, moody atmospheric stuff.

Would be interested to hear some of his fidget house though if you could stick a link up?

Shame, I quite like Foreign Beggars (Asylum Speakers is a great album) and was actually quite intrigued to see what they had done with Skrillex. As it happens that tune is absolute gash. It's not because it's him, it's THAT sound. That screechiness. So far removed from the quality, moody atmospheric stuff.

Would be interested to hear some of his fidget house though if you could stick a link up?

Right. Not sure how closely any of these can be described as fidget, but they're certainly not dubstep:

Not dubstep by any means, but didn't want to create a new thread for the sake of it. Anybody that's a fan of Flying Lotus, Knxwledge or Shlohmo (again, I'm aware that none are dubstep) will love Teebs, one of my favourite artists, completely love the guy.

No idea what the genre for this type of down-tempo stuff is called, hence why I didn't start up a fresh thread.

Not dubstep by any means, but didn't want to create a new thread for the sake of it. Anybody that's a fan of Flying Lotus, Knxwledge or Shlohmo (again, I'm aware that none are dubstep) will love Teebs, one of my favourite artists, completely love the guy.

No idea what the genre for this type of down-tempo stuff is called, hence why I didn't start up a fresh thread.

Only ever known 1 other person who is a Knxwledge fan until now. Lovely

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The general rule of thumb for me is that as soon as an underground electronic scene results in a "Ministry of Sound" compilation then that scene has run it's course, and it's time to move on because in general it will have become tired

The new Burial ep is insanely good though

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not seeing most of the Dubstep hype tbh... has nothing on old school bassline.

Well.. they're completely different, really, aren't they?

Unless you're referring to the current trend of having a bit of wub wub wub in your pop or rock song. In which case, that's not really dubstep, it's just exploiting a technique popularized by the genre. It's a phase that will pass.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Found this song because of a scene in the TV show Hustle (love that show). I really like it. A nice chilled out version of dubstep.

Blackmill have been my early morning/late night chill go to for a while now. Not too into dubstep but really relaxing.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another mix I dug out from a while back. This one is dubstep / garage. Some obvious choices in there and some probably a bit less well-known. 

Tried to keep the mixing interesting and layered up a few bits with some loops, etc.

Do a listen. s1.gif

pantone-186c.png
http://dnbshare.com/download/The_Colour_Red_Mix.mp3.html

Dubtek - Rampant (SHIFT DIGI 007)
Scaffold - Saviour (STAIN002)
RSD - Accepted (R8-004)
Cyrus - Grot Bags (DUBSTARS 019)
L-OW - Moment Of Truth (OTE 005)
Rob Sparx - Vagabundo (DUBOUT006)
Black Finger - Fearless (TBC02)
UltraBlack - You Need Jesus (UBR002)
Optimum - Max Power (ZIQ283)
Jakes - Boom Boom Bass (HENCH016)
Digital Mystikz - Eyez (DMZLP001)
Skream - Trapped In A Dark Bubble (TEC026)
Tayo - March Of The Soundbwoyz (CAD-003)
Uncle Sam - Round The World Girls (Tes La Rok VIP Mix) [ARG017]
Sclist - Darkroom (SCRUMP05)
Skream - Lightnin VIP (Not On Label)
Benga - Skank (BAM002)
DJ Dee Kline - I Don't Smoke (RAT 001)
Vex'd - Thunder (ZIQ115)

Archived