Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thomas_Kirkup

Has anybody Hackintoshed their PC?

Hackintosh, for those who don't know is where you run a Mac OS on a Windows PC.

I seem to have the correct hardware but have a few questions from some people who may have tried it before i take the plunge.

Is it easy to install? Or is it going to take a weekend of problem solving to get working? 

And once up and running is it stable? Or has it got a lot of problems?

Thanks for any Help in advance.

Hackintosh, for those who don't know is where you run a Mac OS on a Windows PC.

I seem to have the correct hardware but have a few questions from some people who may have tried it before i take the plunge.

Is it easy to install? Or is it going to take a weekend of problem solving to get working? 

And once up and running is it stable? Or has it got a lot of problems?

Thanks for any Help in advance.

Yes, and it's not easy (a LOT of reading up on forums that make little sense to start with), and yea a weekend of fiddling around. I never got the sleep to work. Also every time there is an update you have to do a load of hacks again, else it can break. Not worth it unless you are way more time rich than money rich

Yes I have and it's easy if you have the right set of hardware.

There are certain laptops in which it will work almost out of the box.

What a lot of people don't realise, inside a Mac is the same bits and bobs as inside a PC. It's just OS X generally only has the drivers/support for specific components. Find a PC with same/similar components and there is little difference.

You can potentially build a Hackintosh same spec as the old mac pro's for a hell of a lot less, I know people who have done this and have very stable machines.

Of course you could also run OS X in a virtual environment on Windows. I have OS X running on a Microsoft Surface inside Vmware.

"You can potentially build a Hackintosh same spec as the old mac pro's for a hell of a lot less," my Mac Pro (2009) was £850, quad core Xeon, 500GB SSD, 16GB ram, BlueTooth, dual gigabit ethernet, space for 5 hard drives, DVD re-writer, WiFi etc. not much for such a quick machine (yea it's 5 years old but everything is still instant!) that looks lovely too.

Might save a £100 or so getting a PC equivalent, but really not worth the messing around for me as I just don't have the time, especially going forwards with updates (i.e. Yosemite is out soon).

Yeah agreed on that count, however with like a HP probook which will work almost out the box as a hackintosh, you get 2009 spec MBP for about £200. Considering 2009 MBP's still fetch £350-400, is a good saving if you're not bothered about the case.

In the most part it is a lot of faffing about, depends how much your time is worth. I did it out of curiosity rather than necessity!

2-5 year old Mac pros are a steal second hand, they don't seem to hold their value as well as the laptops.

Yeah agreed on that count, however with like a HP probook which will work almost out the box as a hackintosh, you get 2009 spec MBP for about £200. Considering 2009 MBP's still fetch £350-400, is a good saving if you're not bothered about the case.

In the most part it is a lot of faffing about, depends how much your time is worth. I did it out of curiosity rather than necessity!

2-5 year old Mac pros are a steal second hand, they don't seem to hold their value as well as the laptops.

Makes sense now.

Archived