Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Jackie Sinclair 1943 -2010

From OS

Leicester City Football Club is saddened to announce the passing of Jackie Sinclair, one of the clubs greats of the 1960's.

John Evens Wright Sinclair, better known as 'Jackie', joined City in 1965, a £25,000 signing from Dunfermline, by then manager, Matt Gillies.

The pacey winger forged an instantly successful combination with Derek Dougan at the forefront of City's attack, which would go on to earn him his first full Scotland cap in his very first season at Filbert Street.

During a two year spell at the club, Sinclair went on to score a hugely impressive 53 goals in just 113 games for the Foxes, before moving to Newcastle United during the 1967/1968 season.

Cracking little player always a pleasure to watch one of handful of excellent Scottish player we had during the Matt Gillies era.

Another boyhood hero passes on.

How we could do with a winger who could score goals that frequently and he was only a wee fellow.

I never saw Sinclair play, but his nephew, "Ooh" Tommy Wright, was very much of the same mould.

What would a winger with Sinclair's scoring record be worth in today's market?

RIP :(

Watched him many times. Such a clever and effective player whether scoring or making goals. Quality wingers abounded in those days and Sinclair was another to marvel at, in a long list. Just reminds me of exciting the football was in the sixties (llike the rest of life) and how cautious and professionally predictable it was under Pearson and his predecessors. I just hope that Sousa gets the chance to reverse the trend before the "boring doesn't matter if we win" brigade get their way.

From the Merc

Death of wing wonder Jackie Sinclair, aged 67

1759235.jpgFormer Leicester City winger Jackie Sinclair has passed away, aged 67.

The winger, who formed a fine partnership with Derek Dougan at Filbert Street in the mid 1960s, died earlier this week after a long battle with stomach cancer.

Born John Evans Wright in Fife, Scotland, Sinclair, who was known as Jackie, arrived at City in May 1965 after manager Matt Gillies paid £25,000 for his services.

The Scotland international played 113 games for City and scored 53 goals, an impressive tally for a winger, before Newcastle United paid £67,500 for him in December 1967.

He was a part of the Magpies' European Fairs Cup winning side of 1969 and scored in the semi-final at St James' Park against Rangers.

Club ambassador Alan Birchenall said: "He left before I arrived but I played against him and he was a terrific player for City.

"It is a sad day but he will be remember with affection by all City fans, not just from that era but the modern era."

I remember him very well indeed. There were some fantastic wingers in the game in the 60s but he never looked out of his depth or outclassed and always played well against the big sides of the day and had a fearsome shot on him as I recall. I also thought he looked too small to be a sportsman but was very brave and skilful .

RIP Jackie and thanks for the memories

jackie was a brilliant player and always had time for his fans,we use to get his autograph in the cafe before the owner kicked us out.on the field i think he was as good as giggs,and i do not think city have never had another pair as good as him and derek, little and large but lethal...god bless you for the memories..a legend

Archived