Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

Out of interest, how would you describe Miroslav Klose as a player. Would you describe him as a great striker?

He is the all time World Cup leading scorer...............

Poor argument, Klose is known for being one of the best players in the world at playing on the shoulders of defenders, he also known for holding the ball up well and being an integral part of his teams link up play. A poacher with many other skills and talents to offer alongside his fantastic scoring record.

His pace has dropped in the last year or so, which is an indication that yes, he has gone slightly past his peak. But he has also adapted his role and plays deeper. Around the 2004 time which no doubt youll pick up on and discredit, he had significant pace and could trouble defences with direct running.

He doesnt win many headers. Might explain why a quarter of his open play goals are headers then. He is good in the air.

Whats ball retention got to do with anything? hes a striker, he loses the ball most of the time through shooting. When i think of the great ball retainers i hardly think of Gary Lineker

That wasn't my argument? I was saying that all those strikers were great goal poachers but offered much more than just that. Which I personally feel Rooney offers great poaching but not a lot else. I am being grocely misquoted tonight and ironically i am being accused of not reading people's posts lol

Donut: Ball retention for a striker is majorly important, holding the ball up to link up play with other players around you is vital. Gary was bloody great at that! Donut I am afraid Rooney has never been fast and great at running at defences. I will happily hold my hands up if you can find more than 20 examples of highlights over his 13 or more year career of him running through defences effectively. He doesn't win headers very often (especially not when trying to win the ball as a CF role), he has scored 11 headed goals, 11 isn't a quarter of 50, fair play that is a decent stat.

Jesus christ youre actually thick.

OPEN PLAY GOALS. Goals that arent penalties or free kicks.

Poor argument, Klose is known for being one of the best players in the world at playing on the shoulders of defenders, he also known for holding the ball up well and being an integral part of his teams link up play. A poacher with many other skills and talents to offer alongside his fantastic scoring record.

Right, so you discredit Rooney for apparently having nothing in his game other than his poaching ability, but then describe probably the worlds most famous poacher who quite literally had a skill for poaching and nothing else as one of the best in the world.

What a basket case.

Jesus christ youre actually thick.

OPEN PLAY GOALS. Goals that arent penalties or free kicks.

Yes 11 headed goals altogether that means taking out free kicks, penaltys and corners (where he is most likely to score headers from) then it will be even less than 11! So definitely not a quarter. I am not the idiot here.

Yes 11 headed goals altogether that means taking out free kicks, panaltys and corners (where he is most likely to score headers from) then it will be even less than 11! So definitely not a quarter. I am not the idiot here.

I think i can speak for almost everyone when i say yes, you certainly are.

Right, so you discredit Rooney for apparently having nothing in his game other than his poaching ability, but then describe probably the worlds most famous poacher who quite literally had a skill for poaching and nothing else as one of the best in the world.

What a basket case.

lol I suggest you go and read up on Klose who was known for being far more than just a poacher. Klose was known for his link up play and ball rentention, he was strong and held the ball up fantastically well.

http://www.onlinearsenal.com/showthread.php?27298-Miroslav-Klose/page2

Some arsenal fans (completely unbias) discussing that exact fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=miroslav+klose+great+at+holding+up+the+ball

Here is a Google search that refers to his ability to hold the ball up and/or win flick ons on many occasions.

Again I would like to clarify that my stance is that Rooney is great at poaching goals, one of the best. But he lacks that something extra that makes him a real asset to the team. Other greats have all done the goal scoring while having a distinctive skill that sets them apart and adds something extra to the team.

I.e. Klose with his strength and aerial ability, Villa for pace and direct runs, Maradonna for his tricks and never let it go attitude, shearer for his aerial ability, lineker for his pace and trickery, Charlton who was way ahead of his time with skill mastery. I just don't think in years to come I am going to say Rooney with ........ It will be Rooney who scored lots of goals, but offered little else and was hot headed and in danger of suspension when a goal drought came his way.

lol I suggest you go and read up on Klose who was known for being far more than just a poacher. Klose was known for his link up play and ball rentention, he was strong and held the ball up fantastically well.

http://www.onlinearsenal.com/showthread.php?27298-Miroslav-Klose/page2

Some arsenal fans (completely unbias) discussing that exact fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=miroslav+klose+great+at+holding+up+the+ball

Here is a Google search that refers to his ability to hold the ball up and/or win flick ons on many occasions.

Again I would like to clarify that my stance is that Rooney is great at poaching goals, one of the best. But he lacks that something extra that makes him a real asset to the team. Other greats have all done the goal scoring while having a distinctive skill that sets them apart and adds something extra to the team.

I.e. Klose with his strength and aerial ability, Villa for pace and direct runs, Maradonna for his tricks and never let it go attitude, shearer for his aerial ability, linekar for his pace and trickery, Charlton who was way ahead of his time with skill mastery. I just don't think in years to come I am going to say Rooney with ........ It will be Rooney who scored lots of goals, but offered little else and was hot headed and in danger of suspension when a goal drought came his way.

You suppliment your debate with a google search term that brings up articles about fifa on the playstation and a link to an Arsenal forum where most people discuss......tadaaaa.......his poaching.

And for crying out loud, if i see you type LINEKAR one more time, Ill get the managerial world to have a word with you.

You suppliment your debate with a google search term that brings up articles about fifa on the playstation and a link to an Arsenal forum where most people discuss......tadaaaa.......his poaching.

And for crying out loud, if i see you type LINEKAR one more time, Ill get the managerial world to have a word with you.

Clearly you didn't read the posts talking about how arsenal could use him as a target man with Walcott and ox either side then? Why would I have linked it in the first place. Secondly you didn't scroll down very far, 3 links out of ten on that page link to Fifa, the rest link to other sites that clearly discuss he link up play and holding up of the ball.

For goodness sake you are just being hard headed and obtuse for the sake of playing wind up now. Lineker is a world great, simple as that. He also happens to be a fantastic arrow in my counter argument against your 'Rooney is technically gifted' and one of the best England have ever had (others have said) viewpoint.

Clearly you didn't read the posts talking about how arsenal could use him as a target man with Walcott and ox either side then? Why would I have linked it in the first place. Secondly you didn't scroll down very far, 3 links out of ten on that page link to Fifa, the rest link to other sites that clearly discuss he link up play and holding up of the ball.

For goodness sake you are just being hard headed and obtuse for the sake of playing wind up now. Linekar is a world great, simple as that.

Youre comedy gold. I dont think i ever saw LINEKAR play to be honest, was he decent?

For goodness sake you are just being hard headed and obtuse for the sake of playing wind up now. Linekar is a world great, simple as that.

The Arsenal forum talks about how he comes alive in the box and theyd have to change their formation to keep getting the ball to him in the box.

In other words, supplying a poacher.

The Arsenal forum talks about how he comes alive in the box and theyd have to change their formation to keep getting the ball to him in the box.

It also talks about him being useful as a target man with quick players playing off him. In several posts. He is known for being a target man and a fantastic poacher alongside. I have seen the man play several times for goodness sake, he is a class act.

Oh ok so if you haven't seen a player play live then you can't discuss them? Oh ok we had better take Charlton, Linekar and Greaves out of the the argument then. Oh, now Rooney is the best striker England have ever had. Apart from Owen who would have carried us to winning several tournaments had he not been injured so often. lol

Ive seen Klose play several times too. In fact ive seen a lot of his games.

But ill hold my hands up. Ive never watched LINEKAR.

For your benefit I have corrected the auto correct on my IPad seen as you clearly feel that by pointing out a spelling error you are in some way more intelligent. My iPad is clearly programmed to spell it that way to link to http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/linekar-recruitment/o445180 this popular recruitment agency.

The Arsenal forum talks about how he comes alive in the box and they would have to change their formation to keep getting the ball to him in the box.

You're comedy gold. I dont think i ever saw LINEKAR play to be honest, was he decent?

Ive seen Klose play several times too. In fact ive seen a lot of his games.

But ill hold my hands up. I've never watched LINEKAR.

Sorry, lack of apostrophes and use of words that aren't accepted in the English language, such as they'd instead of 'they would', are a real pet hate for me.

Archived