Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

lol I'm not trying to diminish his record mate, fair play to him. The issue for me is that I want my countries leading scorer to be a national hero, an icon, an ambassador, someone the whole world respects and admires that we can be proud of. I don't feel proud that Rooney holds the record. Maybe the real issue is that I'm a massive Lineker fan and he was my boyhood hero. I can't stand the fact that Shrek has more England goals than him. Lineker did it when it matters and is a World Cup legend. Rooney never did it on the big stage for me and that's why it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...

He did do it on the big stage... back in 2004

He did do it on the big stage... back in 2004

Mate. Please. That wasn't a World Cup quarter or semi final was it. Lineker won the golden boot FFS. Rooney hasn't even scored in a World Cup finals has he?

Mate. Please. That wasn't a World Cup quarter or semi final was it. Lineker won the golden boot FFS. Rooney hasn't even scored in a World Cup finals has he?

Yes he did, in 2014... so only World Cup quarter finals or above count... no euros , gosh you must have a very small pool of quality players

Yes he did, in 2014... so only World Cup quarter finals or above count... no euros , gosh you must have a very small pool of quality players

Absolutely right. To be an England legend and the all time highest scorer you should come from a very small pool of quality players. Rooney isn't in that pool IMHO

Rooney gets all this basically down to people being jealous. £250,000 a week, all time leading England goalscorer, premier league champion, champions league winner, fa cup winner. 235 goals for club and country, in 518 appearances. Always helps the team out, is often found all over the pitch.

What do you want him to be like? It's sad tbh...

Rooney gets all this basically down to people being jealous. £250,000 a week, all time leading England goalscorer, premier league champion, champions league winner, fa cup winner. 235 goals for club and country, in 518 appearances. Always helps the team out, is often found all over the pitch.

What do you want him to be like? It's sad tbh...

Allegations of being with prostitutes. Lashing out at England fans who dared to boo. Bust ups with Ferguson and bullshit transfer requests to earn more dollar. Booze up trips to Vegas etc. etc.

the 'model pro'. All that's wrong with modern footballers.

Allegations of being with prostitutes. Lashing out at England fans who dared to boo. Bust ups with Ferguson and bullshit transfer requests to earn more dollar. Booze up trips to Vegas etc. etc.

the 'model pro'. All that's wrong with modern footballers.

Well you only have to look at Jamie vardys recent actions and the players in Thailand. It's not modern footballers, it's modern society.

Well you only have to look at Jamie vardys recent actions and the players in Thailand. It's not modern footballers, it's modern society.

Indeed.

My 6 year old boy has just joined his first football club and I'll start watching MOTD with him soon. Who should he look up to as 'role models' in today's game I wonder? Suggestions? Anyone?

Indeed.

My 6 year old boy has just joined his first football club and I'll start watching MOTD with him soon. Who should he look up to as 'role models' in today's game I wonder? Suggestions? Anyone?

Gareth Barry. Solid pro, made the absolute most out of his talent through hard work and dedication.

Frank Lampard for the same reason. Never courted controversy

Alexis Sanchez, gives his all and is a team player, puts the team ahead of himself. Is genuinely grateful to be a footballer.

Juan Mata, a gentleman and a technician

Indeed.

Watch the football league show... I worked with a lot of people down the lower end of the football scales last year and the majority are decent normal down to earth lads who will go above and beyond to help people out....because in the grand scheme of things at the end of the year they come away with as much as a well paid Manager/Director of a business.

I'm sure there's plenty in the Premier League too, it's just the point that the ones lower down are still living out their dream but have to think of their families and futures too.

Indeed.

Someone like Andy King would be a good choice from Leicester. Hard working player, seems very down to earth and grounded, excellent finisher, appears to be the sort of player not to make a fuss when things don't go his way.

Joe Hart is a good professional.

Yep. Apart from when he head butted George Boyd. Like him in the Head and Shoulders adds too...

Someone like Andy King would be a good choice from Leicester. Hard working player, seems very down to earth and grounded, excellent finisher, appears to be the sort of player not to make a fuss when things don't go his way.

Hallelujah! Great shout. Thank you.

Players who arent necessarily the BEST, but the ones who have taken every ounce of ability they have and maximised it to have a good career, and have done so without causing controversy, going about their job with humility and professionalism.

Hmmmmmm suppose the guy Isn't just looking for on the pitch though is he........

Players who arent necessarily the BEST, but the ones who have taken every ounce of ability they have and maximised it to have a good career, and have done so without causing controversy, going about their job with humility and professionalism.

That's all I ask Donut. But can you name many?

Frank Lampard for the same reason. Never courted controversy

Maybe one of a last dying English breed. Shame he's retired from the PL but I bet he still regrets the whole Man City episode.

That's all I ask Donut. But can you name many?

If you watch Premiership Years with him or old matches, Gary Speed would be a good model.

Shay Given. A consumate professional who has enjoyed a long and distinguished career at the top.

James Milner another. Underrated as a player, a real team ethic, doesnt cause a problem and will help in any way he can.

Alexis Sanchez for his team ethic and appreciation of what football has done for his life.

If you watch Premiership Years with him or old matches, Gary Speed would be a good model.

Yep, was thinking more of today's pros though.

Shay Given. A consumate professional who has enjoyed a long and distinguished career at the top. I like Shay Given. Top pro, good shout

James Milner another. Underrated as a player, a real team ethic, doesnt cause a problem and will help in any way he can. True. Got a lot of time for Milner. A bit of a throw back

Alexis Sanchez for his team ethic and appreciation of what football has done for his life.

Fair play. Looking for English role models if poss. From all the suggestions, the only one I can see of today's crop is James Milner. Which is sad...

Jordan Henderson: Filling big shoes left by Steven Gerrard and proving his critics wrong, has always looked to hone and improve his game for club and country.

Tim Cahill: Became an Everton cult hero with his energetic and committed displays, got 110% out of what he had, and his dedication led to the sort of career longevity we saw at the world cup.

Leighton Baines: Again, talented and assured, had an excellent career whilst being humble and low key

Indeed.

Michael Carrick.

Always does his job on the pitch when called upon for club and country. Hasn't moaned when he's not been played and a lot of the time at club level has played his way into the side - should of been used way more for England. Never been involved in any controversy either.

Michael Carrick.

Always does his job on the pitch when called upon for club and country. Hasn't moaned when he's not been played and a lot of the time at club level has played his way into the side - should of been used way more for England. Never been involved in any controversy either.

Good shout i like that

Indeed.

Messi - gets up and gets on with it and is brilliant (when he signs for Leicester in January)

Indeed.

im 21 an andy king is still my role model and hero choose him

Archived