Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

Surprised no one mentioned Scholesy yet. No interest in the media for almost his whole career, and strived to make the most of his fantastic ability, give and get as much as he could from the sport for as long as he was capable, and still live as quiet a life as possible.

On the pitch he could be naughty, but never off that I remember. Maybe to you it's not perfect that he retired so early from international duty, but he's the first man I think of when discussing role models in football.

Indeed.

My 6 year old boy has just joined his first football club and I'll start watching MOTD with him soon. Who should he look up to as 'role models' in today's game I wonder? Suggestions? Anyone?

As he is 6 I dont think he will care or even realise footballers are real people who make bad decisions and stupid mistakes.

Use them all, point out the gooduns, explain whats wrong with the bad.

Heroes, maybe....  

Okazaki?

Albrighton?

King?

Kasper?

Wes?

and thats just in our squad.

Keep in mind we dont get all the crap reporting here that you guys do, so if any of them have "disgraced" themselves, scrap the suggestion :)

Webbo, I'm guessing you're old enough to remember Charlton, Greaves, Keegan, Lineker etc. Don't tell me you put Rooney up there amongst those England greats. He might have the record but he'll never win over me and many others. Just not a national icon or ambassador for our game for me. Sorry, I just don't like him...

I'm not quite old enough to remember Charlton & Greaves in an England shirt but no, I don't put Rooney in the same class as them, Lineker, Shearer, Owen for goal scoring, I don't even put him in the same class for his general play as Beardsley or Heskey. For me, the greats do it when it matters, in tournaments against the big teams. Where are Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc in his goalscoring list? 5 against bloody San Marino ffs, his list is full of the minnows of world football.

If he finally does something at a tournament, I may change my mind about him but we all know he won't.

Congratulations to him though, he's still filled his boots against the also-rans and broken the record but an England great? Not for me, not till he does it against the big teams.

Rooney gets all this basically down to people being jealous. £250,000 a week, all time leading England goalscorer, premier league champion, champions league winner, fa cup winner. 235 goals for club and country, in 518 appearances. Always helps the team out, is often found all over the pitch.

What do you want him to be like? It's sad tbh...

wrong. Never won FA cup.

I'm not quite old enough to remember Charlton & Greaves in an England shirt but no, I don't put Rooney in the same class as them, Lineker, Shearer, Owen for goal scoring, I don't even put him in the same class for his general play as Beardsley or Heskey. For me, the greats do it when it matters, in tournaments against the big teams. Where are Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc in his goalscoring list? 5 against bloody San Marino ffs, his list is full of the minnows of world football.

If he finally does something at a tournament, I may change my mind about him but we all know he won't.

Congratulations to him though, he's still filled his boots against the also-rans and broken the record but an England great? Not for me, not till he does it against the big teams.

Well said!

Not in the same class as Hesky? lol

this is what i was trying to say last night he hasnt done it when it matters

Honestly think Rooney has had the advantage of the vast majority of English strikers being complete dog **** compared to the world's best in recent years.

Its great for him he's achieved that record.  But is it 2 goals in 4 euro/world cups?

He scored 2 more tha Lineker but took 27 more games to do it.

Lets face it a few tap ins and pens against San marino, Estonia, Lithuania isn't exactly difficult.

But granted you can only play what's in front of you its just that Wayne rooney has been fortunate to play against a lot of very poor sides.

Consider me a little bias but for me Rooney just happens to be the best of a bad bunch,

As for his goalscoring, yeah great for him to get there, but has scored less than 1 in 2 in some pretty crap qualifying groups down the years. Think both Lineker and Shearer had better ratios.

And the 2 people he has gone past, well 1 won a world cup and the other dragged his county trough a wc qf and scored in the semi and has a golden boot from another wc.

Rooney may set the benchmark for goals, but in the context he has scored them in, not a patch on some of those who have gone before him.

I mean, Heskey and Upson have as many goals at the WC as shrek.

Euro 2004 he was excellent got injured, 2008 we didn't qualify and 2012 he missed the first two games out of 4 we played.

World Cup 2006 wasnt he injured and should never have been there, 2010 he was shit but he wasn't alone in that and 2014 he was probably our best performer although not saying much.

There are mitigating circumstances as to why he hasn't delivered in tournaments, he needs good players around him.

I've not checked stats but ronaldo and messi have hardly been outstanding either. Klose was exceptional at tournaments but pretty shit outside, is he classed as a world great?

Don’t see how anybody could deny that Rooney is one of England’s greats. If you look at the four people below him : Charlton, Lineker, Greaves and Owen, then he certainly deserves to be amongst that company.

He probably can’t compete with Charlton who won a WC, or Lineker who won the Golden Boot, but he definitely deserves to be ahead of any other England striker.

If Rooney’s not a “great” England striker, then who the hell is?!

I don't buy this "no-one will break his record for generations" rubbish.

The next decent young striker will break it simply due to the amount of meaningless friendlies (which will no doubt keep increasing) and lack of quality opposition in qualifying.

After reading this thread I decided to look at who Charlton and Lineker had scored their goals against compared to Rooney; in terms of standard of opposition and the importance of the game in question.

Rooney has, I think, only scored 6 goals in 18 games at competitions (World Cup Finals, European Cup Finals), 12 in Friendlies, 30 in qualifiers. But he's played in an era where more weak sides, like Gibraltar and so on, have been invited to participate in these qualifiers. 

I'm not saying friendly goals, or qualifier goals against weaker opposition don't count, but you have to say that you'd expect - given enough time - even the best second tier strikers to have a good return against Andorra, San Marino, Luxembourg etc. And if you discount the goals scored in friendlies, or in qualifiers against very weak opposition, Lineker and Charlton have far, far better records of scoring against competitive opposition in competitive games than Rooney. In fact in these key areas his record is disappointing. 

I know a lot of people talk about the low standard of England team in Rooney's era, but I'm not sure that's fair to Lineker. He represented England in an era when English clubs were banned from European competition and our league was not considered to be among the best few in Europe, but we could still put together a side from our domestic league which reached a QF and an SF. Rooney, on the other hand, arrived with our league at its peak and at the rear end of the so-called 'golden generation'. He was one of many very good players who underperformed, and I'm not sure we can use that as an excuse for his lack of success at the highest international level.

It's a good point about Ronaldo having had a similar problem, though I think Portugal have tended to fair a little better than us over the past decade. Correct me if I'm wrong. And Messi has reached, what, four major finals at least with Argentina.

The fact that the best players don't always have the greatest success at this level underlines the need to depend on players, like Vardy, who aren't necessarily your best but perhaps give that little bit extra for the national side, offer something different and forge a stronger national team unit. And, of course, the need for the international team to do its bit in terms of scouting young talent in lower leagues (how good might Vardy, Lambert or even Ian Wright have been at international level had they been found 4 or 5 years earlier?). Look at Spain discarding Raul, aged 29 and with 40+ goals to his name just before their golden era, or Argentina discarding Cambiasso before their resurgence, or Germany discarding Ballack, among others. The national team needs to seize the initiative more than we've managed to.

Honestly think Rooney has had the advantage of the vast majority of English strikers being complete dog **** compared to the world's best in recent years.

I think I've rarely been as unimpressed by an England Striker as I have been with Rooney. Never seen him as world class and always been surprised to see that he's on the England team sheet.

As you say we must've had a few lean years in the striker's stakes.

Don’t see how anybody could deny that Rooney is one of England’s greats. If you look at the four people below him : Charlton, Lineker, Greaves and Owen, then he certainly deserves to be amongst that company.

He probably can’t compete with Charlton who won a WC, or Lineker who won the Golden Boot, but he definitely deserves to be ahead of any other England striker.

If Rooney’s not a “great” England striker, then who the hell is?!

Rooney is a great striker, I agree, but it's very hard to say he's a great England striker because he hasn't enjoyed the success of Lineker (Golden Boot and a WC semi-final), Greaves (24 competitive goals in 28 games, and played throughout most of a WC campaign which we ended up winning) or Charlton (WC winner), or even Hurst (very few friendly goals, 18 in 26 competitive games, WC Final hat trick and winner's medal). He's scored so many of his goals against weaker opposition, and in less important games than the others that it's a difficult comparison. But I tend to think that when players do very well but enjoy next to no success that it's a bit like comparing Ian Hume's 12 goals in 2007 with Ulloa's 12 goals in 2014-15. The same go for Owen's 40 goals, only 6 of which were in competitive finals; we simply can't compare him to far more successful players who won competitions, accolades and tended to score their goals against tougher opposition, at a more competitive level.

And all of this kind of leads us to the uncomfortable conclusion that there simply haven't been very many great strikers at international level for England. Charlton and Lineker have to be the most clear-cut exceptions, but as much as I like Rooney, I find it very hard to count him amongst them.

Archived