Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

By the same logic you could argue that Van Nistelrooy never carried Man Utd at the turn of the millennium despite being bloody lethal - I don't rate Rooney that highly and I do think he's dining out on past glories and just getting his goals against cannon fodder but there's no denying he carried England in Euro 2004, and they probably would have won it if he hadn't got crocked.

Exactly he didn't. The turn of the millennium when United had the likes of scholes, giggs, Keane, Neville and becks, I don't think anyone was carrying that team. Especially when the likes of Solksjear only got a few less than Ruud and becks chipped in with 11. Rooney isn't carrying anything but hair transplants that were fused from his pubic hair (fact)!

No Spanish, Brazilian or German player can ever be a legend. All their goals come against weaker opposition.

In all seriousness, you have to give credit to Rooney. In Euro 2004 he was unplayable and scoring a goal every other game is no mean feat.

It could only be in England where we disregard his achievements.

Ffs Spain, Brazil and Germany have all recently won major tournaments, why? Because they build a team, only in England do we pander to one player and big them up into something they're not, only to watch them fail and plunder in yet another unsuccessful campaign.

Let's build our team around an out of form (or even worse injured in one tournament) Wayne Rooney, despite in form players sitting on the side line itching to prove themselves. It was the same with lampard (Mr undroppable), the same with Ferdinand and so on. We have to stick to what we know despite form or other factors, it really annoys me.

Rooney offers very little on the pitch, especially recently where he has looked really poor. We have better waiting to get there chance. Let it happen.

Ffs Spain, Brazil and Germany have all recently won major tournaments, why? Because they build a team, only in England do we pander to one player and big them up into something they're not, only to watch them fail and plunder in yet another unsuccessful campaign.

Let's build our team around an out of form (or even worse injured in one tournament) Wayne Rooney, despite in form players sitting on the side line itching to prove themselves. It was the same with lampard (Mr undroppable), the same with Ferdinand and so on. We have to stick to what we know despite form or other factors, it really annoys me.

Rooney offers very little on the pitch, especially recently where he has looked really poor. We have better waiting to get there chance. Let it happen.

ffs, the fact that the second sentence started with "in all seriousness" showed the first sentence was tongue in cheek.

To suggest Rooney doesnt offer anything on the pitch as well is incredibly bizarre. Even in last nights game which was hardly a vintage performance, he still showed tactical versatility in playing 2 different roles, the intelligence of movement to find space and run in behind at times, bring others into play and cooly slotted the penalty.

Hes a focal point of the team

ffs, the fact that the second sentence started with "in all seriousness" showed the first sentence was tongue in cheek.

To suggest Rooney doesnt offer anything on the pitch as well is incredibly bizarre. Even in last nights game which was hardly a vintage performance, he still showed tactical versatility in playing 2 different roles, the intelligence of movement to find space and run in behind at times, bring others into play and cooly slotted the penalty.

Hes a focal point of the team

You evidently watched a different player to me? Are you sure you weren't watching Kane after he came on? Oh wow he showed that he can drop deep and shout at the referee every time he blasted into one of their players and knocked them off the ball (3 times he clumsily fouled their rb and CB) suprised he wasn't booked. He then proceeded to continue running with the ball when he could have slotted other players in on numerous occasions (On Saturday Vardy was screaming for the ball on several occasions, playing on the shoulder on a counter, Rooney either didn't think fast enough or refused to pass to Vardy). He frustrates the hell out of me as a player.

Like I said maybe you saw a different game? Maybe it was on sky repeated from 2004?

You evidently watched a different player to me? Are you sure you weren't watching Kane after he came on? Oh wow he showed that he can drop deep and shout at the referee every time he blasted into one of their players and knocked them off the ball (3 times he clumsily fouled their rb and CB) suprised he wasn't booked. He then proceeded to continue running with the ball when he could have slotted other players in on numerous occasions (On Saturday Vardy was screaming for the ball on several occasions, playing on the shoulder on a counter, Rooney either didn't think fast enough or refused to pass to Vardy). He frustrates the hell out of me as a player.

Like I said maybe you saw a different game? Maybe it was on sky repeated from 2004?

lol maybe we did watch a different game. Im not sure given the posts I read from you on most of the threads whether you can read yourself, or if you have the intelligence to ever make a coherent post but i said Rooneys performance was HARDLY A VINTAGE PERFORMANCE.

Youre just far too prone to hyperbole im afraid. To discredit Rooney's impact and achievements completely is ridiculous. Im not getting into a petty argument with you anyway.

Such a bizarre thing for people to have such differing opinions on. I understand some may not rate Rooney as highly as others but quite how some can criticise him and think he's poor is utterly ridiculous!

He's 30 and has just become our all time top scorer. 50 in 107 internationals isn't exactly too shabby! Christ, come to think of it, no one has scored more for England. That must mean Linekar, Greaves, Charlton must be average too!

He's also set to become Man Utd's top scorer and will probably go onto play 130+ times for England.

He might not be as quick as he used to be but he is by a million miles England's most technically gifted and intelligent (on the pitch) player. He's not a no.9 really anymore and has always played better just off or alongside another forward.

Play Sterling and Ox / Welbeck either side of him off Sturridge or Kane and he'll perform.

I understand people have their opinions but he has set the benchmark for England internationals and only in England would half of our fans criticise and ridicule our country's leading ever scorer and captain!

lol maybe we did watch a different game. Im not sure given the posts I read from you on most of the threads whether you can read yourself, or if you have the intelligence to ever make a coherent post but i said Rooneys performance was HARDLY A VINTAGE PERFORMANCE.

Youre just far too prone to hyperbole im afraid. To discredit Rooney's impact and achievements completely is ridiculous. Im not getting into a petty argument with you anyway.

Lovely so my opinion differs to yours so you then come in with a completely unjustified lack of intelligence line? What a load of drivel. I will have you know that I can read and am actually well educated, not that it's any of your business.

I have made reasoned arguments in here with stats and figures to back up my argument, so I would like to know how that leads to not posting 'coherently'.

You are far to prone to insulting people just because of difference in opinion I'm afraid. To credit Rooney with a legendary status and say that he carried us at any point is ridiculous, it just shows you have a low expectation of a player. Judging by your recent posts you are clearly unable to be polite and use a forum correctly (for debating and discussing). Good day to you sir!

Such a bizarre thing for people to have such differing opinions on. I understand some may not rate Rooney as highly as others but quite how some can criticise him and think he's poor is utterly ridiculous!

He's 30 and has just become our all time top scorer. 50 in 107 internationals isn't exactly too shabby! Christ, come to think of it, no one has scored more for England. That must mean Linekar, Greaves, Charlton must be average too!

He's also set to become Man Utd's top scorer and will probably go onto play 130+ times for England.

He might not be as quick as he used to be but he is by a million miles England's most technically gifted and intelligent (on the pitch) player. He's not a no.9 really anymore and has always played better just off or alongside another forward.

Play Sterling and Ox / Welbeck either side of him off Sturridge or Kane and he'll perform.

I understand people have their opinions but he has set the benchmark for England internationals and only in England would half of our fans criticise and ridicule our country's leading ever scorer and captain!

The funny thing is that if/when he does break the Man Utd scoring record, he'll still not be seen as a 'legend' by the their fans as Carlton, Giggs, Scholes etc are. Why is that I wonder? 

Lovely so my opinion differs to yours so you then come in with a completely unjustified lack of intelligence line? What a load of drivel. I will have you know that I can read and am actually well educated, not that it's any of your business.

I have made reasoned arguments in here with stats and figures to back up my argument, so I would like to know how that leads to not posting 'coherently'.

You are far to prone to insulting people just because of difference in opinion I'm afraid. To credit Rooney with a legendary status and say that he carried us at any point is ridiculous, it just shows you have a low expectation of a player. Judging by your recent posts you are clearly unable to be polite and use a forum correctly (for debating and discussing). Good day to you sir!

And youve only served to show that you cant read again, because I havent stated anywhere that he has "legendary status" or "carried us".

Just make something up if nothing else fails lol

I said its silly to discredit a player who has 50 international goals at the strike rate he has, and to have had the club career he has doesnt happen because youre a poor player.

Yes, he should have more major tournament goals, this is hardly something thats unique to him though is it?

Hes still comfortably our best forward and a versatile one at that.

The funny thing is that if/when he does break the Man Utd scoring record, he'll still not be seen as a 'legend' by the their fans as Carlton, Giggs, Scholes etc are. Why is that I wonder?

Because they live thousands of miles away and have never seen him play?

To be fair to Rooney he has had to play in a poor England Team over the years..consistently out of the top 10 teams in the world. So to ask him to do it on the big stage in a poor team every time he play's  is a big ask.

He's 29 has a few more years left in him and has achieved as much in his career as any other player i can remember over the years

To say a man who is now our leading all time top Goalscorer in the national team does not cut the mustard is crazy.

One of the best i've ever seen.

To be fair to Rooney he has had to play in a poor England Team over the years..consistently out of the top 10 teams in the world. So to ask him to do it on the big stage in a poor team every time he play's  is a big ask.

He's 29 has a few more years left in him and has achieved as much in his career as any other player i can remember over the years

To say a man who is now our leading all time top Goalscorer in the national team does not cut the mustard is crazy.

O.K. I'm sold. The 'Bravo' and 'Golden Boy' awards swung it for me 

Rooney's main problem is that he's a giant nob.

We have a winner lol

This is the same repeated argument, "he has scored lots so he must be technically gifted and better than those he has scored more than". Linekar offered pace and fantastic ball rentention, while scoring some wonderful goals in some really important matches. Greaves was strong and won headers all day long. Charlton was tricky and had an eye for a through ball. I expect so much more than just goals from a striker.

Rooney poached goals (which fair play is a skill in itself, and he is better than our current crop at it) and ..... And..... And..... He isn't fast, he doesn't win many headers, his ball rentention is average and he doesn't get many assists, what does he offer that makes him great alongside his scoring record? All those other greats scored hat fulls and offered so much more at the same time. I am getting stick here for standing my ground, but I am certainly not the only one who has a differing opinion to the Rooney is 'class' fellows who are yet to put together a "coherent'" argument.

O.K. I'm sold. The 'Bravo' and 'Golden Boy' awards swung it for me 

We have a winner lol

Actually to win the golden boy award is no mean feat just look at the past winners i think you will find it's a tough award to win

2003 Rafael Van Der Vart 

2004 Rooney

2005 Messi

2006 Fabregas

2007 Aguero

2008 Anderson

2009 Pato

2010 Balotelli

2011 Gotze

2012 Isco

2013 Pogba

2014 Sterling

So not in bad company?

And youve only served to show that you cant read again, because I havent stated anywhere that he has "legendary status" or "carried us".

Just make something up if nothing else fails lol

I said its silly to discredit a player who has 50 international goals at the strike rate he has, and to have had the club career he has doesnt happen because youre a poor player.

Yes, he should have more major tournament goals, this is hardly something thats unique to him though is it?

Hes still comfortably our best forward and a versatile one at that.

I was actually referring to what others had said in the thread, if you had read it. And again you haven't read my posts, where have I said he is poor? I said that he doesn't offer much else to the team other than poaching goals (which fair play is an important skill and he is great at it), I said that I expect more than just that from a striker. The greats poached goals as secondary skill to their main skill, linekar being quick and having great ball retention, greaves being strong and great at holding up the ball, Charlton having pretty much it all. My expectations of what makes a great striker is obviously a lot higher than yours.

This is the same repeated argument, "he has scored lots so he must be technically gifted and better than those he has scored more than". Linekar offered pace and fantastic ball rentention, while scoring some wonderful goals in some really important matches. Greaves was strong and won headers all day long. Charlton was tricky and had an eye for a through ball. I expect so much more than just goals from a striker.

Rooney poached goals (which fair play is a skill in itself, and he is better than our current crop at it) and ..... And..... And..... He isn't fast, he doesn't win many headers, his ball rentention is average and he doesn't get many assists, what does he offer that makes him great alongside his scoring record? All those other greats scored hat fulls and offered so much more at the same time. I am getting stick here for standing my ground, but I am certainly not the only one who has a differing opinion to the Rooney is 'class' fellows who are yet to put together a "coherent'" argument.

His pace has dropped in the last year or so, which is an indication that yes, he has gone slightly past his peak. But he has also adapted his role and plays deeper. Around the 2004 time which no doubt youll pick up on and discredit, he had significant pace and could trouble defences with direct running.

He doesnt win many headers. Might explain why a quarter of his open play goals are headers then. He is good in the air.

Whats ball retention got to do with anything? hes a striker, he loses the ball most of the time through shooting. When i think of the great ball retainers i hardly think of Gary Lineker

I was actually referring to what others had said in the thread, if you had read it. And again you haven't read my posts, where have I said he is poor? I said that he doesn't offer much else to the team other than poaching goals (which fair play is an important skill and he is great at it), I said that I expect more than just that from a striker. The greats poached goals as secondary skill to their main skill, linekar being quick and having great ball retention, greaves being strong and great at holding up the ball, Charlton having pretty much it all. My expectations of what makes a great striker is obviously a lot higher than yours.

Out of interest, how would you describe Miroslav Klose as a player. Would you describe him as a great striker?

He is the all time World Cup leading scorer...............

I think you have just lost your own argument....Linekar was the best goal poacher there ever was you would never see him smash 2 in from  20 yards on match of the day.Also i think Rooney's ball retention was better than our Gary's. But Linekars pace off the mark... Ohhh.now he was quick!

But the big debate is: Did he carry the team to win the BBC sports personality of the year award? lol

I think you have just lost your own argument....Linekar was the best goal poacher there ever was you would never see him smash 2 in from  20 yards on match of the day.Also i think Rooney's ball retention was better than our Gary's. But Linekars pace off the mark... Ohhh.now he was quick!

That wasn't my argument? I was saying that all those strikers were great goal poachers but offered much more than just that. Which I personally feel Rooney offers great poaching but not a lot else. I am being grocely misquoted tonight and ironically i am being accused of not reading people's posts lol

Donut: Ball retention for a striker is majorly important, holding the ball up to link up play with other players around you is vital. Gary was bloody great at that! Donut I am afraid Rooney has never been fast and great at running at defences. I will happily hold my hands up if you can find more than 20 examples of highlights over his 13 or more year career of him running through defences effectively. He doesn't win headers very often (especially not when trying to win the ball as a CF role), he has scored 11 headed goals, 11 isn't a quarter of 50, fair play that is a decent stat.

Archived