Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

Fair play to rooney for reaching that milestone, but at the end of the day it is only one stat, one aspect, of being a striker. I'd be interested to see what looking at one primary stat for other positions would turn up for best defender, midfielder, keeper etc.

How is the post dumb? Because my opinion differs to your own? I really struggle to see how Rooney not breaking his foot would have prevented penaltys in a tight game where we struggled to make any chances. It's not like the strikers on the field missed sitters that night that rooney would have tucked away. And I very much doubt that rooney would have carved his own chances, his work rate off the ball and general trickery have never been his strong points.

Because England were dominating until that injury (and were the better side on the day anyway)? Also, don't forget we're talking 2004 Rooney, who was a hardworking flair machine (which is why I reckon he's more of a flop than a great - when he showed that much potential, to never have really turned it on in tournaments beyond then is a disappointment).

How is the post dumb? Because my opinion differs to your own? I really struggle to see how Rooney not breaking his foot would have prevented penaltys in a tight game where we struggled to make any chances. It's not like the strikers on the field missed sitters that night that rooney would have tucked away. And I very much doubt that rooney would have carved his own chances, his work rate off the ball and general trickery have never been his strong points.

But carving chances on his own and his work rate was pretty much what made him so good back then. The defenders were scared stiff of him all tournament, couldn't cope with him. Don't understand you saying his work rate has never been his strong point?

Also how did Beckham and Owen carry us in that tournament? Over a number of years you can argue they did but In Euro 2004, the success we had in the games until Rooneys injury was predominantly down to himself in my opinion.

so you can only be an england legend if you win a major tournament? decent. we've got a solid set of legends all from one team but nobody else. as i've just said he has "done stuff" in major tournaments. it's just cool to say he never has and to say he'll never be a legend because he scored some goals in qualifiers and somehow he's solely responsible for us not winning every world cup for the past 10 years.

You have misquoted me there. I said or that Wayne Rooney hadn't won a major tournament OR offered much at major tournaments. To be a legend you have to fit one of those categories at least. He has done neither and to be honest hasn't even been close to either.

You have misquoted me there. I said or that Wayne Rooney hadn't won a major tournament OR offered much at major tournaments. To be a legend you have to fit one of those categories at least. He has done neither and to be honest hasn't even been close to either.

Well he was great in 2004... I think he offered a lot then, and also was our best player at 2014

But carving chances on his own and his work rate was pretty much what made him so good back then. The defenders were scared stiff of him all tournament, couldn't cope with him. Don't understand you saying his work rate has never been his strong point?

Also how did Beckham and Owen carry us in that tournament? Over a number of years you can argue they did but In Euro 2004, the success we had in the games until Rooneys injury was predominantly down to himself in my opinion.

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Never thought he offered much and don't remember defenders being 'scared stiff" at all. Not having anyone say Rooney has ever carried us at any tournament ever, sorry.

but... he has?

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Never thought he offered much and don't remember defenders being 'scared stiff" at all. Not having anyone say Rooney has ever carried us at any tournament ever, sorry.

were you legit blind from 03-06? 

How many years has rooney actually been "Great"?

define great?

if the question is how many years has he been one of if not the best players for his country as well as his club who he's won basically everything with and is soon gonna be their record goalscorer as well as his countries then basically his whole career. 

if you mean how many years has he won the world cup then none. 

Did you watch Euro 2004?

Not saying he's done much at major finals since bar be the best of a very bad bunch in 2014 but he was just about unplayable in that tournament. As he was for United when they signed him at that age.

define great?

if the question is how many years has he been one of if not the best players for his country as well as his club who he's won basically everything with and is soon gonna be their record goalscorer as well as his countries then basically his whole career. 

if you mean how many years has he won the world cup then none. 

I mean for how many years has he been an exceptional international footballer - this discussion is about his England Career. Personally I think he was good for 3 years tops.

I wonder if the people who see him as a "legend" are people who were kids when he broke through so revere him and have grown up with him as the England striker whilst those of us that don't rate him as highly are comparing him to players we've seen play for England over the last 40+ years.

Over his career I've felt that the Attack have been our (England's) weakest department by far and the midfield our best.

If I had to choose England's best player over the last 10 years it'd probably be Gerard but Rooney wouldn't even be in my England top 5.

I understand this is all personal choice and views though so I'm only saying that for me he's not "all that" whereas for you I see he is. 

Well ronaldo only has 3 World Cup goals to his name, so should we start calling him not a great... he hasn't won anything at international level and not scored every game... he also hasn't netted regularly at the euros... But qualifiers don't count so we can't talk about those goals.

I think you have to take into consideration the players that Rooney has had to play with, we didn't even qualify for 2008

Did you watch Euro 2004?

Not saying he's done much at major finals since bar be the best of a very bad bunch in 2014 but he was just about unplayable in that tournament. As he was for United when they signed him at that age.

I did watch it. I have just never rated him that highly. Maybe I expect more of a striker than others, I expect more than just goals. Just seen a stat on BBC, Rooney has only scored 8 goals from outside the box for England, I think that stat goes a long way to proving those saying he carried the team wrong. Without a cross or a through ball he wouldn't have scored 42 goals within the box. Would love to know how many Owen/Becks/Gerrard assisted him.

Can't stand the bloke and often talks rubbish, but I agree with Joey Barton saying that Rooney isn't world-class due to his lacklustre mental approach.

Rooney has let himself down in the past with falling-outs with others when he's denied goal-scoring opportunities, and also being in the face of the ref many times.

I did watch it. I have just never rated him that highly. Maybe I expect more of a striker than others, I expect more than just goals. Just seen a stat on BBC, Rooney has only scored 8 goals from outside the box for England, I think that stat goes a long way to proving those saying he carried the team wrong. Without a cross or a through ball he wouldn't have scored 42 goals within the box. Would love to know how many Owen/Becks/Gerrard assisted him.

By the same logic you could argue that Van Nistelrooy never carried Man Utd at the turn of the millennium despite being bloody lethal - I don't rate Rooney that highly and I do think he's dining out on past glories and just getting his goals against cannon fodder but there's no denying he carried England in Euro 2004, and they probably would have won it if he hadn't got crocked.

No Spanish, Brazilian or German player can ever be a legend. All their goals come against weaker opposition.

In all seriousness, you have to give credit to Rooney. In Euro 2004 he was unplayable and scoring a goal every other game is no mean feat.

It could only be in England where we disregard his achievements.

Archived