Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

Euro 2004 he was excellent got injured, 2008 we didn't qualify and 2012 he missed the first two games out of 4 we played.

World Cup 2006 wasnt he injured and should never have been there, 2010 he was shit but he wasn't alone in that and 2014 he was probably our best performer although not saying much.

There are mitigating circumstances as to why he hasn't delivered in tournaments, he needs good players around him.

I've not checked stats but ronaldo and messi have hardly been outstanding either. Klose was exceptional at tournaments but pretty shit outside, is he classed as a world great?

this is a great post. we would've won euro 2004 if he stayed fit and it would've mainly been down to rooney aged what, 18?

It is embarrassing how suddenly people on Facebook are crowning how he is equal to Messi and better than Ronaldo on goals per games ratio. Messi played against stronger sides (Brazil,Uruguay,Chile,Colombia etc) regularly in South America qualifying league and Copa America. As for Ronaldo, fair enough but he played quite lot of games on the wing first before moving to centre forward (if he does play there for Portugal?) 

Justify that statement immediately.

if you watched euro 2004 you'd know I'm right. greece won it for ****s sake. with rooney and owen we blitzed everyone until injury hit (bar a crazy five minutes vs france). rooney's replacement was darius vassell and we still only lost on penalties.

if Rooney was two or three years older we'd have won the World Cup in 02 as well.

if you watched euro 2004 you'd know I'm right. greece won it for ****s sake. with rooney and owen we blitzed everyone until injury hit (bar a crazy five minutes vs france). rooney's replacement was darius vassell and we still only lost on penalties.

if Rooney was two or three years older we'd have won the World Cup in 02 as well.

I couldn't disagree more. Rooney has hardly offered anything in his entire England career. We had a good side in 2004 which was excellent at through balls to the strikers. The fact that vassel bagged a few proved that. If anyone was carrying the team it was becks and Owen.

We were knocked out on penaltys, exactly. So rooney would made no major impact on that particular scenario. He is a very good poacher, that is great, but other strikers have been poachers and offered a lot more to the team than the hot headed (red card under pressure waiting to happen) shrek lookalike.

That game last night was crying out for Vardy. I really felt sorry for him. He got a full game against San Marino and did ok, even though they put 11 behind the ball and there was no space to exploit.

With Switzerland last night playing a pressing game there was loads of room for Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain to exploit. As Dixon and Ian Wright pointed out at half time, they didn't do it, Sterling missed great opportunities to run into space and kept turning into players.

I feel Vardy would've loved to have got on and have a chance at that defence.

Surely the England coaching staff know Vardy's strengths.

Good luck to him, I hope he gets a call up for the squad for the finals.

I couldn't disagree more. Rooney has hardly offered anything in his entire England career. We had a good side in 2004 which was excellent at through balls to the strikers. The fact that vassel bagged a few proved that. If anyone was carrying the team it was becks and Owen.

We were knocked out on penaltys, exactly. So rooney would made no major impact on that particular scenario. He is a very good poacher, that is great, but other strikers have been poachers and offered a lot more to the team than the hot headed (red card under pressure waiting to happen) shrek lookalike.

i mean most of this post is pretty dumb but the highlighted bit?! we'd never have needed penalties if rooney didn't break his foot. 

i mean most of this post is pretty dumb but the highlighted bit?! we'd never have needed penalties if rooney didn't break his foot. 

You are all about winding people up aren't you?

I agree with Scousefox, though I do not think England would have won Euros 04 (If Greece can contain everyone they played against then they could have beat us in the final or Holland could have beaten us in semi final)  if Rooney has not been injured but I do think England would have at least beat Portugal in either normal time or ET if Rooney has not went off. His injury definitely knocked sails out of our winds for a bit.

How is the post dumb? Because my opinion differs to your own? I really struggle to see how Rooney not breaking his foot would have prevented penaltys in a tight game where we struggled to make any chances. It's not like the strikers on the field missed sitters that night that rooney would have tucked away. And I very much doubt that rooney would have carved his own chances, his work rate off the ball and general trickery have never been his strong points.

nah not really. sometimes. not this time though. 

rooney was immense in euro 2004, and he went off injured after we (he) had demolished switzerland and croatia and were leading in the quarter final vs the eventual finalists. who lost to greece. if he had stayed fit we would have beaten portugal for sure. then who knows after that, holland would've been a tough semi final but the kid was on top of the world and was making us a great team with great players around him. we were a good ten, maybe twenty times better than greece, just got hit hard by an injury to our best player at the time and then lost on penalties. proper english.

but the point was rooney "hasn't done it at a major tournament" for quite a few reasons, some more unfortunate than others. a tournament breakdown shows that. 

euro 2004 - 3 goals, some great performances, we were going to win it and he broke his foot. 

world cup 2006 - he broke a different part of his foot a few weeks before the tournament. the whole team was shit, perhaps in part due to the fact rooney wasn't fit.

euro 2008 - we didn't qualify so it would've been tough for him to "do it" there. 

world cup 2010 - he was pretty rubbish. 

euro 2012 - suspended for two games, not match fit for the third but scored the winner, we played eleven behind the ball in the quarters and lost on pens. or look at it a different way, he was the only player to score when he was on the pitch across two games. 

world cup 2014 - scored and assisted our two goals. probably our brightest player. everyone was shit. 

you could put bobby charlton in our world cup 2010 team and we would've still got battered by germany. 

nah not really. sometimes. not this time though.

rooney was immense in euro 2004, and he went off injured after we (he) had demolished switzerland and croatia and were leading in the quarter final vs the eventual finalists. who lost to greece. if he had stayed fit we would have beaten portugal for sure. then who knows after that, holland would've been a tough semi final but the kid was on top of the world and was making us a great team with great players around him. we were a good ten, maybe twenty times better than greece, just got hit hard by an injury to our best player at the time and then lost on penalties. proper english.

but the point was rooney "hasn't done it at a major tournament" for quite a few reasons, some more unfortunate than others. a tournament breakdown shows that.

euro 2004 - 3 goals, some great performances, we were going to win it and he broke his foot.

world cup 2006 - he broke a different part of his foot a few weeks before the tournament. the whole team was shit, perhaps in part due to the fact rooney wasn't fit.

euro 2008 - we didn't qualify so it would've been tough for him to "do it" there.

world cup 2010 - he was pretty rubbish.

euro 2012 - suspended for two games, not match fit for the third but scored the winner, we played eleven behind the ball in the quarters and lost on pens. or look at it a different way, he was the only player to score when he was on the pitch across two games.

world cup 2014 - scored and assisted our two goals. probably our brightest player. everyone was shit.

you could put bobby charlton in our world cup 2010 team and we would've still got battered by germany.

So your basically saying that rooney is amazing but everyone around him is too shite to allow him to score at major tournaments? Sound logic.

So your basically saying that rooney is amazing but everyone around him is too shite to allow him to score at major tournaments? Sound logic.

yeah basically thats why he is our record goalscorer ever and he's played alongside the likes of james milner and gareth barry for most his time 

yeah basically thats why he is our record goalscorer ever and he's played alongside the likes of james milner and gareth barry for most his time

Right so if you can score against San Marino and minnows then you become an England legend, despite offering next to nothing in major tournaments and winning nothing.

Harry Kane is going to have a whale of a time, he's got a few already!

Hasn't Gerrard or Lampard played in the team over that time?

Rooney was pretty good for a couple of years but now he's just one of an average lot of strikers that England has.

When you're only playing 1 striker against teams like San Marino he's likely to score.

Dodoo got a hat-trick against Bury, does that make him a better striker than Okazaki?

Right so if you can score against San Marino and minnows then you become an England legend, despite offering next to nothing in major tournaments and winning nothing.

Harry Kane is going to have a whale of a time, he's got a few already!

so you can only be an england legend if you win a major tournament? decent. we've got a solid set of legends all from one team but nobody else. as i've just said he has "done stuff" in major tournaments. it's just cool to say he never has and to say he'll never be a legend because he scored some goals in qualifiers and somehow he's solely responsible for us not winning every world cup for the past 10 years. 

Wayne Rooney is England's leading goal scorer. I don't usually like doing this but FACT.

Doesn't mean he's the best England player of all time.

No one knows whether we would have won 2004 with a fit Rooney or we'd have performed better if he was fit at 2006. But we'd have stood a better chance.

Hasn't Gerrard or Lampard played in the team over that time?

Rooney was pretty good for a couple of years but now he's just one of an average lot of strikers that England has.

When you're only playing 1 striker against teams like San Marino he's likely to score.

Dodoo got a hat-trick against Bury, does that make him a better striker than Okazaki?

what? obviously not, nobody is basing this on a one off game like that scenario. this is being based on the whole of rooney's career, where he's scored more goals than any england player ever has before. what a crazy thing to say. 

what? obviously not, nobody is basing this on a one off game like that scenario. this is being based on the whole of rooney's career, where he's scored more goals than any england player ever has before. what a crazy thing to say. 

But just scoring more goals doesn't make you a better player than someone else - as Dodoo example proves-  and it certainly doesn't make you the best.

He's scored more England goals than let's say Welbeck because he's played more games and most of them against poor opposition. I'd say Welbeck is the better player (but Welbeck of course is just an example and many other players could be chosen). 

As much as I dislike Alan Shearer I'd say he was a much better striker than Rooney.

Certainly not in the conversation with Loinaker, greaves or charlton.

Archived