Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Rooney

What did he do?

He made a reckless challenge, got booked then as he walked away clapped his hand in front of the ref in a sarcastic way and got booked again!

You have to see it...but its really funny and i love it when he loses his rag!

He made a reckless challenge, got booked then as he walked away clapped his hand in front of the ref in a sarcastic way and got booked again!

You have to see it...but its really funny and i love it when he loses his rag!

The ref, show pony Kim Nielsen (sp) has lost his rag as well and people have not paid hard earned money to go and watch him, rather they want to watch the players. His whistle should be taken away from him. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The ref, show pony Kim Nielsen (sp) has lost his rag as well and people have not paid hard earned money to go and watch him, rather they want to watch the players. His whistle should be taken away from him. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

To be honest, he's been almost flawless these last few years. Deffo one of the most consistently good refs still around...

To be honest, he's been almost flawless these last few years. Deffo one of the most consistently good refs still around...

Brilliant. :D:D As I was writing that I knew one person at least who leap to his defence. :D:D:);):thumbup:

Brilliant. :D:D As I was writing that I knew one person at least who leap to his defence. :D:D:);):thumbup:

Well I've been very unhappy about him in the past...most notably his performances from 1998-2002 were largely scandalous...but I see him a lot in the Danish League, and he's by far and away the best ref up here...;)

Spot on. People in football get clean away with breaking the legs of guys like Wes but some harmless spat like Rooney's gets blown up out of proportion till he ends up sent off.

Can you imagine Collina sending him off? No way. He'd have calmed the whole situation in seconds with a smile and a few well chosen words.

If referees are forever having to book people and send em off they are doing something badly wrong and should take a good look at themselves.

As you say, people pay £40 a time plus to see their heroes in action, not to see some referee pontificating and making a name for himself. What the hell harm does a bit of sarcastic clapping do?. It's not very respectful, that's all. But respect should be earned, not demanded.

And that ref certainly doesn't deserve respect for making a mountain out of a molehill.

He made something of nothing, needlessly disturbed the fair balance of the match, made a talented and passionate personality leave the pitch so no-one could watch him play and all for the sake of a smile and a few wise words.

If you're so sensitive to a bit of sarcasm, a few heat-of-the-moment comments or a bit of verbal criticism, you shouldn't be a referee.

There are more important things to deal with on a football pitch.

I think the ref was right to send him off. If you were watching Leicester and saw an opposition player make a reckless challenge to earn a yellow card, and then sarcastically clap at the referee for his decision, you'd want that player to be sent off too. Neilson had no choice, Rooney was asking for it.

As for other players getting away with dangerous tackles, that's a different issue completely. Players should respect the referee's decision even if they disagree with them. I applaud Neilson for being brave enough to stand up to the petulance of Rooney. His actions cannot be justified.

I think the ref was right to send him off. If you were watching Leicester and saw an opposition player make a reckless challenge to earn a yellow card, and then sarcastically clap at the referee for his decision, you'd want that player to be sent off too. Neilson had no choice, Rooney was asking for it.

As for other players getting away with dangerous tackles, that's a different issue completely. Players should respect the referee's decision even if they disagree with them. I applaud Neilson for being brave enough to stand up to the petulance of Rooney. His actions cannot be justified.

Rooney also used foul and abusive language towards the Ref which is a sending off offence anyway, hes a stupid idiot sometimes Rooney for someone with so much talent you'd think he'd learn but no.

How do you respect a referee who makes a stupid decision - like that infamous penalty for Chelsea in the FA Cup?.

You train all week, perhaps put in hours of extra shooting practise, you are desperate for points and you play out of your skin. Then what happens?. The referee gives a penalty that proves to be a mistake and sends off the innocent offender? Result. You lose.

How do you respect that. How can a referee EVER give what they do not see?.

And my point stands with the Rooney thing. If the referee had used wise words, a smile and a bit of common sense the incident wouldn't have developed as it did.

This isn't said to condone Rooney. I don't. But the refs reaction was as over the top as Rooney's...and two wrongs resulted in a totally out of proportion outcome.

Brave? Where does brave come into it?. Ellen MacArthur is brave. Astronauts are brave. The ref just blew up an inconsequential incident and contributed to football getting pages full of bad publicity it could do without. Brave? Reactionary and thoughtless, I'd say?.

If that referee really had a rapport with the players and really did have their respect, he wouldn't get sworn at. Again, Collina offers the outstanding example.

I agree with you about dangerous tackles. They are different. They are the things which MOST want stamping out cos people can lose their careers to a bad tackle.

Sarcastic clapping just momentarily offends the sensitivities. It doesn't hurt anyone and a minute or two later it doesn't mean anything. It's certainly not worth headlines in the bloody newspapers.

Archived