Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Gaelic Athletics Association - Irish Sport

38 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

All Ireland Football final this evening at 5. 

Dublin v Mayo.

You know the score. #MayoforSam

Absolutely!  Cant see past the Dubs and think the Mayo curse will live on.

For anyone who doesnt watch GAA, if you think we were unlucky with our FA Cup final record, spare a thought for poor Mayo who have lost 9 finals in a row. Read on to find out more about the 'Mayo Curse':

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/what-mayo-curse-last-win-23190832

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Mayo have won.  17-14. Stunning 

The end of an era for Dublin.

The end of a run of 6 All-Ireland titles for Dublin says the Internet (I knew they'd been dominant in recent years, but wasn't aware it was as many as 6)....

I only occasionally pay attention to Gaelic Football (English of Irish parentage) but enjoyed watching games on TV and a couple of games live on visits to Ireland.

Most of my family came from Kerry and were fierce Kerry supporters - my Dad, a couple of his brothers & various cousins played in a local team in their youth.

I see there's a crisis over the other semi as Tyrone are unable to fulfil the fixture (v. Kerry) due to a Covid outbreak in their squad.....difficult one to resolve: a Kerry bye to the final would be tough on Tyrone, but a postponed semi tricky to arrange, too...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The end of a run of 6 All-Ireland titles for Dublin says the Internet (I knew they'd been dominant in recent years, but wasn't aware it was as many as 6)....

I only occasionally pay attention to Gaelic Football (English of Irish parentage) but enjoyed watching games on TV and a couple of games live on visits to Ireland.

Most of my family came from Kerry and were fierce Kerry supporters - my Dad, a couple of his brothers & various cousins played in a local team in their youth.

I see there's a crisis over the other semi as Tyrone are unable to fulfil the fixture (v. Kerry) due to a Covid outbreak in their squad.....difficult one to resolve: a Kerry bye to the final would be tough on Tyrone, but a postponed semi tricky to arrange, too...

I'm not far off the Kerry border myself in West Limerick. Always good old banter in my home town with them. A lot of people from the area would go to Ballybunion in North Kerry for the summer. They live for Football back there. It's absolute religion.

I say Tyrone are disgusted now that Dublin are gone but I don't reckon they would be strong enough for Kerry. FWIW I'd bring Monaghan back in as they narrrowly lost to Tyrone a fortnight ago.

Last night was extraordinary. First half was pretty dismal. When its bad for Mayo it can be awful to look at. Made a lot of errors. I did say though that they would get a run at them but didnt expect what was to follow. Were down by 5 points with 10 left to being it back level. Once they got it to extra time Dublin started to look badly shaken which hasn't been the case in a decade(8 out of 10 titles since 2011). It wasn't the greatest standard and was well down the level of the last decade of Dublin-Mayo but it was compelling viewing for a finish.

To put in into 'Leicester' terms this would have been like us coming close to winning the league in 2017-18 and they did it without their Vardy who is out for the year. A phenomenal rebuilding job done by their Nigel Pearson figure who brought them out of the wilderness in 2011 only to return 3 years ago.

Kerry might be upset that they didn't get a chance to finish Dublin but it was fitting it was Mayo that did it.

Kerry have caused Mayo as much agony as Dublin have back in the Late 90s/Mid 00s so this could have be all in vain yet. Would be some story for Mayo to follow up last night's heroics. Can't wait for the next chapter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

I'm not far off the Kerry border myself in West Limerick. Always good old banter in my home town with them. A lot of people from the area would go to Ballybunion in North Kerry for the summer. They live for Football back there. It's absolute religion.

I say Tyrone are disgusted now that Dublin are gone but I don't reckon they would be strong enough for Kerry. FWIW I'd bring Monaghan back in as they narrrowly lost to Tyrone a fortnight ago.

Last night was extraordinary. First half was pretty dismal. When its bad for Mayo it can be awful to look at. Made a lot of errors. I did say though that they would get a run at them but didnt expect what was to follow. Were down by 5 points with 10 left to being it back level. Once they got it to extra time Dublin started to look badly shaken which hasn't been the case in a decade(8 out of 10 titles since 2011). It wasn't the greatest standard and was well down the level of the last decade of Dublin-Mayo but it was compelling viewing for a finish.

To put in into 'Leicester' terms this would have been like us coming close to winning the league in 2017-18 and they did it without their Vardy who is out for the year. A phenomenal rebuilding job done by their Nigel Pearson figure who brought them out of the wilderness in 2011 only to return 3 years ago.

Kerry might be upset that they didn't get a chance to finish Dublin but it was fitting it was Mayo that did it.

Kerry have caused Mayo as much agony as Dublin have back in the Late 90s/Mid 00s so this could have be all in vain yet. Would be some story for Mayo to follow up last night's heroics. Can't wait for the next chapter.

My paternal grandfather came from Brosna, just the other side of the Limerick border, but eventually ended up just outside Ballybunion.

I visited Brosna a few years back and had a session on the Guinness in Abbeyfeale with a Brosna cousin - though I couldn't match his pace, despite being a heavy drinker then (teetotal now).

I know Ballybunion well, dating back to childhood holidays there. I love the place - an attractive combination of natural beauty (cliff walks, sandy beaches) and tackiness (multiple bars, take-aways, amusements etc.).

I still have first cousins living there. My Dad came to England in 1949, but the two brothers he played Gaelic football with stayed local until they died a few years ago.

One of them had a role managing, then running the local club. There was a Kerry jersey and other such gear on his coffin at his funeral. He was my "silent uncle", but Gaelic football was one subject on which he was far from silent.

It sounds as if Mayo deserve to win this time, but family wouldn't like to hear me say that!

• Like 1