Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Elite:Dangerous

Tried searching for an existing thread on this. I know it has been mentioned in other threads but thought (hoped) it warranted one of it's own. 

Just brought the PS4 version. Assumed there must be some other ED players in here?

Is this the game I've been waiting since 1986 for?

14 minutes ago, Beliall said:

yarp. been playing for 2 years on pc, happy to help in anyway

In many ways it is a surprise I didn't buy it on release day. I've followed the development since Braben announced a new Elite way back in around 2005. But the perception that I'd constantly be getting "pwned" by griefers and reservations about my PC kept me from buying it. I didn't even know it was coming out on PS4 until I saw an email yesterday!

Hoping to have a blast on it later tonight. Bring back some nostalgic memories from the old days of playing on the BBC Micro!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

In many ways it is a surprise I didn't buy it on release day. I've followed the development since Braben announced a new Elite way back in around 2005. But the perception that I'd constantly be getting "pwned" by griefers and reservations about my PC kept me from buying it. I didn't even know it was coming out on PS4 until I saw an email yesterday!

Hoping to have a blast on it later tonight. Bring back some nostalgic memories from the old days of playing on the BBC Micro!

Same reasons for me too, though I understand the solo play is very good too. Will be getting this as soon as I see it. Had a browse at Tesco today when shopping, but they didn't have it... figures. Will check Asda when do main shopping at weekend. If that fails, Gamesworld will probably be my next port of call. I have absolutely no intention of traveling into town just to go to Game, which is to gaming what Our Price was to music, i.e. inflated prices with know nothing salespeople.

27 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Same reasons for me too, though I understand the solo play is very good too. Will be getting this as soon as I see it. Had a browse at Tesco today when shopping, but they didn't have it... figures. Will check Asda when do main shopping at weekend. If that fails, Gamesworld will probably be my next port of call. I have absolutely no intention of traveling into town just to go to Game, which is to gaming what Our Price was to music, i.e. inflated prices with know nothing salespeople.

i just downloaded from PS Store. £19.99 for main game and £ 19.99 for the expansions. Loaded up in 20/30 minutes or so.

Well managed the first two tutorials..... It's quite hard isn't it? Managed to fly to the space station and even managed to squeeze through the letterbox (even though I wasn't lined up very well), but then couldn't see where I had to "land" and crashed! It was gone midnight then so decided to call it a night...

29 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Well managed the first two tutorials..... It's quite hard isn't it? Managed to fly to the space station and even managed to squeeze through the letterbox (even though I wasn't lined up very well), but then couldn't see where I had to "land" and crashed! It was gone midnight then so decided to call it a night...

lol sorry, squeeze through in a teeny tiny sidewinder!  

I dont mean to be rude, that just amuses me, looking back

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Hey man, it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it that counts....

lol

What he means is, wait til you've got something fifty times the size and you're reminiscing about the time you couldn't get your sidey through the toast rack without crashing.

• Like 2

I'm not a PC owner, but I love space-sims. After the disappointment of doggo No Man's Sky I'd love to get stuck into one. Haven't had a decent one since Freelancer back in the day.

I've heard it can get repetitive though, and the gameplay can be painfully slow - is that the case?

It looks to be quite complex, too - do we think it'll translate over to consoles well? I've watched a gameplay video, and it looks OK.

It's up to you to make your fun a little with ED and if you want interaction with other humans you MUST pay attention to the global events and be willing to truck to where the bulk of the action is happening.

It can be rewarding if you do though.

16 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I'm not a PC owner, but I love space-sims. After the disappointment of doggo No Man's Sky I'd love to get stuck into one. Haven't had a decent one since Freelancer back in the day.

I've heard it can get repetitive though, and the gameplay can be painfully slow - is that the case?

It looks to be quite complex, too - do we think it'll translate over to consoles well? I've watched a gameplay video, and it looks OK.

I wondered about the grind, but then the original game was a grind too and I loved that!

Dont think it's overly grindy but it depends what you consider grind.

Shouldn't take you too long to be able to afford to be flying through resource extraction sites in a Cobra and then Vulture, blasting away pirates for bounty to Kenny Loggins' Danger Zone, sat at your PC in aviators, feeling like a bad ass.

Er.... if you were that sad I mean.... :blush:

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

As others have said its as grindy as you make it. if you decide today you want a cutter, you will be grinding for 6 months. if you just play the game and have some fun, you will have a blast and get the cutter in a year or so but it will be infinitely more enjoyable

46 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

So... Docking Computer. Essential purchase or best to learn the technique oneself?

Good thing you're on PS4. I shoot players with docking computers on general principal

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You need to be a petty officer with the federation but yeah, Sol is in the game.

while your in the area, head to alpha centauri and visit Hutton Orbital. 25% discount on ships and modules there :thumbup:

I've been playing this game on PS4 non stop for the past couple of days, loving it

Be good if we could get a group together if other people on here are playing it

Bought my Cobra MkIII last night :D, now I can do trade runs that are earning me 200,000 credits in a couple of jumps

Edited by MrSpaM
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I've been playing this game on PS4 non stop for the past couple of days, loving it

Be good if we could get a group together if other people on here are playing it

Bought my Cobra MkIII last night :D, now I can do trade runs that are earning me 200,000 credits in a couple of jumps

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this. Trouble is I'm decorating at the moment so evenings have been taken up with painting etc. Got a shit load of furniture to assemble tonight so probably won't get any time for the next day or so either!