Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Elite:Dangerous

On 9/22/2017 at 15:18, Trav Le Bleu said:

Before what Houston says, play the training missions.

Seriously.

On 9/23/2017 at 03:31, foxile5 said:

I'm playing through the training missions. This game looks incredibly hard to play. 

The advance combat training session was harder than the real game. 

Real dogfighting / bounty hunting on your own is the hardest thing in the game for me.  I'm mainly a trader and like pottering around exploring and doing missions, with the odd 1:1 dog fight.  I went to a heavy conflict zone and got mullered though! Picking off pirates / crims when the authorities have weakened them is so much easier! 

@Trav Le Bleu - do you have Horizons?  Is it worth it? 

Edited by HoustonFox

15 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

The advance combat training session was harder than the real game. 

Real dogfighting / bounty hunting on your own is the hardest thing in the game for me.  I'm mainly a trader and like pottering around exploring and doing missions, with the odd 1:1 dog fight.  I went to a heavy conflict zone and got mullered though! Picking off pirates / crims when the authorities have weakened them is so much easier! 

@Trav Le Bleu - do you have Horizons?  Is it worth it? 

Yes I do. I quite enjoy landing on planets, it's a different experience to space stations, plus you can get resources on planets and discover stuff. Personally I'd feel quite cheated if I wasn't able to land on planets (though as it stands, you can only land on certain planets).

It adds extra places to trade and high gravity worlds are... interesting.

I'd suggest watching a YouTube video of planetary landings (though that's not all - think maybe it adds ship customization, passenger missions, ship launched fighters and other stuff) and see what you think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yes I do. I quite enjoy landing on planets, it's a different experience to space stations, plus you can get resources on planets and discover stuff. Personally I'd feel quite cheated if I wasn't able to land on planets (though as it stands, you can only land on certain planets).

It adds extra places to trade and high gravity worlds are... interesting.

I'd suggest watching a YouTube video of planetary landings (though that's not all - think maybe it adds ship customization, passenger missions, ship launched fighters and other stuff) and see what you think.

Yeah, I've seen some vids and looks like you can make daring raids on bases as well, and so forth. Have you got into the factions side of it much? 

Have you seen this doc? Pretty impressive...

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1A7K-q-n5GUjTdJE8WEm5ULsZ064bwHRPktN1eAub3Q0/present?slide=id.ga0a19badb_0_63

6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'm starting to question whether it can actually be played successfully on a PS4 pad. Might I be better off getting it on PC and using a joystick? 

Playing on the PS joypad is a breeze compared to the mouse and keyboard I used to use on my Amiga, or the simple rubber keys on my Spectrum.

My only problem has been (and I'm hoping others have done this rather comedic, but annoying, thing) is pressing the circle button when coming into land; because circle+down is lower landing gear, whilst a quick press of circle is boost. Oh, the number of times I've flown straight into the control tower!

7 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Playing on the PS joypad is a breeze compared to the mouse and keyboard I used to use on my Amiga, or the simple rubber keys on my Spectrum.

My only problem has been (and I'm hoping others have done this rather comedic, but annoying, thing) is pressing the circle button when coming into land; because circle+down is lower landing gear, whilst a quick press of circle is boost. Oh, the number of times I've flown straight into the control tower!

This!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Got yanked out if hyperspace by a thyroid today. It then scanned me, disabled all my systems leaving me floating in space, but little else. Scarily brilliant! 

Been poking around the Pleiades for a while now and come across all sorts, the most disturbing of which was an imperial capital ship and about ten eagles, ripped to shreds and floating in space.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out to Betelgeuse the other day. Probably the most impressive place I've been to so far. Also an impressive new space station in one of the Pleiades stations, forget which one HR 1163 or 1165 possibly, but it orbits just above a planetary ring.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been out to the damaged space stations in the Pleiades? Something different to do and also found a Farragut battle cruiser and a massive science research station that had been devastated by Thargoids. Definitely the most interesting region of space at the moment.

On 16/12/2017 at 23:37, Trav Le Bleu said:

Anyone been out to the damaged space stations in the Pleiades? Something different to do and also found a Farragut battle cruiser and a massive science research station that had been devastated by Thargoids. Definitely the most interesting region of space at the moment.

I really want to but I'm out on the most ridiculous 1200 jump passenger mission. Mind numbingly dull, I think I will just turn back as don't think I'm even going to make it back in time now.

15 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I really want to but I'm out on the most ridiculous 1200 jump passenger mission. Mind numbingly dull, I think I will just turn back as don't think I'm even going to make it back in time now.

lol

How much is it worth? There are many mission in ED that really aren't worth it in terms of investment versus reward.

On a plus note, I discovered a planet (well, technically a moon) four in fact. Someone had been through the whole star system, bagging all the planets and missed the moon's round a gas giant. On that trek also discovered a star with rings. It looked amazing!

• 2 months later...

Anyone played Elite since the new update? Some good improvements.

1). Much more detail on planets and space stations. Makes landing prettier.

2). You get 3 options on rewards for your missions, which is great. For instance, if you're loaded, but want promotion within a faction, you can choose to take reputation as a reward, rather than credits.

3). Never bother reading GalNet news in space stations? Then take it with you and have your ship AI read it out for you. Breaks the tedium of long journeys, plus, in livery options, you can now change the AI's voice.

4). Wave missions. Massively big delivery runs with huge rewards that you need to bring friends to take on.

And loads more. On another note, I need one more percentage rank with the Empire to get the next ranking mission which will unlock the Imperial Cutter.

Which is nice.

18 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Might be time to jump back in the old vulture and see what's changed. I haven't played since long before planetary landings.

Is there any point to them yet?

Thargoid ruins? Guardian ruins? Derelict spaceships? Space ports? Skimmer missions? Drive round all of these in your scarab?

• 3 weeks later...

Today I arrived at Sagittarius A, the super massive black hole at the centre of our galaxy. What a grind... over 25,000 light years from Sol.

At first I took the route out to Colonia, the most distant colonised group of systems from Sol, about 22,000 ly away, but there is route where stations have been placed every 3-4000 ly to break things up. Colonial is right on the edge of the core (we are out on an "arm" of the core), but not on a direct path to the centre.  Did a few missions around there, but it's pretty boring... no factions, no politics, nowhere near as many stations to visit.

So then I went for the biggie... another 11,000 ly and no way stations. Took several hours over several days, even in my Diamond-back Explorer, which has been pimped for long range jumps. A few scares, including landing on a high-g world and nearly smashing my ship to pieces thousands of light years from anyone, but I'm now on my way back and I will never leave the bubble again!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

• 3 weeks later...

Just found my original Spectrum 48K version on cassette with the box and all the booklets, even the lenslock. It was one hell of a cool game for the speccy.

s-l225.jpg

Memories.

19 minutes ago, FIF said:

Just found my original Spectrum 48K version on cassette with the box and all the booklets, even the lenslock. It was one hell of a cool game for the speccy.

s-l225.jpg

Memories.

There was a helicopter sim, Tomahawk, that used Lenslock too. I could us that one on my copied version of Elite just fine. lol

Not only that, but if you squinted, you could often work out the code without it.

On 09/04/2018 at 16:29, z-layrex said:

Just had to Google what a lenslock was.

There were all kinds of horrible copy protection in those days. Do you have the colour code card that came with Jet Set Willy @FIF? That was a beggar to use if you were playing on a black and white TV, which I was 90% of the time.

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

There were all kinds of horrible copy protection in those days. Do you have the colour code card that came with Jet Set Willy @FIF? That was a beggar to use if you were playing on a black and white TV, which I was 90% of the time.

But was there any better sound than the star trek beeping and whirring of a cassette game loading?

Is this an online game and will it be dead when the servers are switched off? Keep contemplating it on ps4 but not sure how much I'll play and whether it's too slow for me these days.

5 hours ago, toddybad said:

Is this an online game and will it be dead when the servers are switched off? Keep contemplating it on ps4 but not sure how much I'll play and whether it's too slow for me these days.

Yeah, but don't think it'll be switched off any time soon.

18 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

It’s going cheap on PS4 at the mo, is it worth picking up bearing in mind I’m not keen on being blown up every minute on multi player and I’ve no patience if I can’t learn a game within 5 minutes!

You can play the game in a solo mode whereby the markets are influenced by other players, but other ships, etc, are all AI, so you don't get ganked (unless you're stupid enough to drop into a conflict zone with an unsuitable ship and attack the wrong side). When you feel good and ready, you can then switch to open play, everything carries overs.

I've never played in open, simply cos I don't have a PS+ account lol

• Thanks 1