Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Thoughts on / assistance with; creating a 'transfers update' thread

With many annoyed at the constant guff discussed within individual transfer threads, I had come up with the idea of a single thread that would post the latest news links for all transfers - so that people who just wanted to know the latest could just dip in there.

The trial of this was largely unsuccessful however, as despite the polite explanation at the start of the thread, it was quickly filled with guff from posters obvious to the idea.

However, I maintain the idea would be a good one if it could be controlled by making it a sticky in the transfer thread and locking access so only mods could update it with the relevant posts - thus saving it from the usual guff.

So can I gather thoughts / willingness to give this another try? 

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

With many annoyed at the constant guff discussed within individual transfer threads, I had come up with the idea of a single thread that would post the latest news links for all transfers - so that people who just wanted to know the latest could just dip in there.

The trial of this was largely unsuccessful however, as despite the polite explanation at the start of the thread, it was quickly filled with guff from posters obvious to the idea.

However, I maintain the idea would be a good one if it could be controlled by making it a sticky in the transfer thread and locking access so only mods could update it with the relevant posts - thus saving it from the usual guff.

So can I gather thoughts / willingness to give this another try? 

100% in agreement.

Worst aspect of the board (during transfer windows) is having to trawl through all the drivel to access any actual news. 

I say every player we're linked to should have 2 threads.

One where news/media rumour is put. I'm talking BBC, Sky etc not dodgy twitter stuff.

And another where people can post their opinions on the player, discuss prices and generally talk shit.

That way people who actually want to see updates don't have to trawl through 100 pages of shite. And people who want to talk shite can do without getting moaned at.

Until it's on the Official Site,  twitter or Facebook it's all unsubstantiated rumours who's to say which is reliable they've  all been wrong at one time or another. 

We have the players in/out thread with the official links and a new thread started in the lcfc forum for each player coming or going.

The 1st post re a player in the transfer forum usually has a link and that's pretty much it, 99% of the rest as you suggest is usually guff.

As an Admin, sorry but that's as far as I'm personally prepared to go with it.

As amusing as it can be, it is an annoyance having to shift through all the nonsense sometimes if you want a quick update. Maybe what would be useful is if the site could automatically scrape hyperlinks in a player thread and post it in a locked thread which just contained those hyperlinks. At least you can make your mind up about the sources yourself and would be convenient to check on updates. I appreciate it's probably more effort than it's worth and it misses some of the nuggets that come from a few of the ITKs.

That is a great idea, but hard to maintain.

A transfer summary, whether it is a daily post or a sticky thread that can be updated only by mods would be good.

For me it would be nice to have a link to the player thread, then a rumour status, (ie fresh, strong, offer made, offer accepted, having medical, signed by us, signed by spurs, cold, dead in the water).

If you wanted to be really dedicated you could have the rumoured transfer fee, other teams linked, a link to the latest rumour, a link to wiki profile, a link to you tube.

Kelechi Iheanacho: Man City - Offer Accepted - £25m - Negotiating over image rights

Jonny Evans: West brom - Offer Rejected - £10m - West Brom playing hard ball

Archived