Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

The great Gareth Southgate

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Everyone is missing Sweden off the list of wins.

I just copied and added the NL games in, but you're absolutely right.

Considering how poorly we've done in tournaments in the past with (arguably) better managers and (arguably) better squads, he's doing a pretty good job overall. We've still had a few poor performances like last night and we're still weak in certain areas, but by-and-large GS has done well. Whether he's got what it takes tactically to take us to that next step is up for debate, but he's developing a style and getting people excited about England again, which is more than can be said for his more experienced predecessors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

He's surpassed all expectations so far, he took over a side post-Hodgson and post-Allardyce, he's got us playing in a more contemporary fashion and has done a reasonable job integrating some younger talent into the team. We didn't expect much going into Russia and we made the semi finals. Yeah, we weren't outstanding but the nation fell back in love with the national side which wasn't the case under Hodgson or Capello. 

Southgate isn't a great tactician and we already knew that, he's done mostly a brilliant job and anybody expecting him to win us the world cup or the euros is probably expecting too much. We've got the most talented squad we've had for a decade but there's still glaring weaknesses in it. We have a poor midfield, average keepers, a decent but not world class defence (yesterday aside) and what should be an elite forward line but isn't. 

He's got a lot of faults but realistically who could we appoint that's going to do better?

I think in regards to long-term tactical strategies he is. Or the Southgate/Holland partnership should I say. The 3-5-2 with only one natural CM that we used in Russia was unexpected and worked wonders in regards to getting the best out of a squad that had serious deficiencies in the centre of midfield.

I do have concerns about him as an in-game tactician, but I have to say that he made the right change last night to move to a 4-4-2 diamond.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He is limited as a tactician but he has galvanised this footballing nation and the honour and pride he has in the job he does is admirable. He doesn't just see it as a job of picking a football team, he's trying to foster a way of being a real bright spot for the country at a time when we're the absolute fcukin pits so I respect him. I have looked forward to watching England again after years in the wilderness. He now has an important phase of bringing through the likes of Foden, Sancho, Maddison, Hudson-Odoi, TAA, Wan-Bissaka, Barnes (hopefully) and pieing off the likes of Walker, Delph, and others who haven't performed for England for a year or so now. Walker especially has been poor.

Our midfield is our real weak spot, defensively we could be better but the mistakes seem to stem for an inability in midfield to control the game when needed. I am pinning my hopes on Phil Foden but that type of player if he is given the exposure in Man City's first team or at least on loan in the Prem is essential. He could be a sensation. We are a decent back up striker away from having one of the most frightening attacks in the world. Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi and Kane is a potent mix but they need the balance right behind them enough of the ball to cause the problems.

:appl:

All this

And you are spot on about Foden. IF he is given the playing time.

I’m afraid in the Premiership it’s always a big IF.

John Stones is a prime example. Last night he was bloody awful, but he’s just not played consistently for months. That matters.

If I were Southgate I’d always go for players who are actually playing week-in, week-out. In the Premiership that isn’t always easy.

Holland are currently making a resurgence and it’s NO coincidence that the likes of DeLigt and Frenkie DeJong have played consistently all season for the best team

in Holland.

Edited by Col city fan

5 hours ago, goose2010 said:

the passage of play that we created for the offside goal was as good as I have seen from England in many years.

The same with Sancho in the first half (and second actually) skipping past De Ligt

There was some glimpse of great football and its an exciting time for the national team.

How can you have an offside goal?

It wasn't a goal.

4 hours ago, goose2010 said:

We will go back to lumping it up to Kane then and basically chasing shadows against the better teams then. Yep that's the kind of football we all want to see.:rolleyes:

tbh, lumping it up to kane has always been his first priority, it's only when Kane is injured and unavailable for england selection that he isn't the featured attacker and then we see some exciting play with Rashford and Sterling.

It was noticeable how poor we looked once Kane came on again yesterday. And our Midfield selection is so poor you'd have to be surprised why Maddison isn't in.

As for Southgate, he's had some good results at a time when European football is rather meh! He is a yes man and very limited as a manager but still probably the best we can hope for. England are not one of the "big 6" (or equivalent) after all.

19 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think in regards to long-term tactical strategies he is. Or the Southgate/Holland partnership should I say. The 3-5-2 with only one natural CM that we used in Russia was unexpected and worked wonders in regards to getting the best out of a squad that had serious deficiencies in the centre of midfield.

I do have concerns about him as an in-game tactician, but I have to say that he made the right change last night to move to a 4-4-2 diamond.

I don't doubt his coaching ability but that's different to being a strong tactician 

45 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I don't doubt his coaching ability but that's different to being a strong tactician 

I'd say he has a decent tactical mind but need to become better at reacting to tactical situations during a match. Since the WC there has been a noticeable improvement in that area though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

I don’t recall many incidents of rushing players through at international level rather the opposite hanging on to players pass their sell by date or more likely never play dates.

If you think yesterday was the last opportunity then 1 game here or there to move them on and give the upcoming players some senior tournament experience before the real Euros is not the problem you suggest then.

It's clear we are following a model set by the Germans and Spanish wherein we allow our youth to develop together before promoting them. 

Lets face it, the current squad is still very young. Out of interest who would you have promoted? 

6 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

It's clear we are following a model set by the Germans and Spanish wherein we allow our youth to develop together before promoting them. 

Lets face it, the current squad is still very young. Out of interest who would you have promoted? 

Someone with a bit of creativity, so many workhorses and speed merchants in England teams.

Southgate made three mistakes last night. First, picking that shockingly poor midfield combo. Secondly, picking players who can't even get into their club team regularly as first choice players eg Stones, Barkley, Delph. Thirdly, leaving out all of the CL finalists - Henderson and Alexander-Arnold should have started, as VVD did for Holland.

Southgate seems unwilling to take risks by playing young promising creative players in central midfield, like he is willing to do in the forward positions. We are so desperate for players who are comfortable on the ball and creative in CM. Last night I felt so sorry for the defenders because the CM players rarely showed for the ball and gave them options. And even when they did they passed the ball straight back to a defender. We need midfield players who can take the ball under pressure, make space for themselves and deliver incisive forward passes through the lines. It's time for the likes of Maddison to have a go.

• 1 year later...

Gareth Southgate - The Coach's Voice

Masterclass.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/gareth-southgate-england-spain-tactics/

England 2 Lallana (9 pen) Vardy (48)
Spain 2 Aspas (89) Isco (90+6)

Having been appointed England manager on a temporary basis in September 2016, in his first three games in charge, Gareth Southgate led his team to victories over Malta and Scotland and a draw against Slovenia. Those three games came in the qualifying stages for the 2018 World Cup, but it was a friendly in his fourth match in temporary charge that provided his biggest test up to that point, as Spain visited Wembley.

Southgate’s energetic team made a promising start when Jamie Vardy was brought down in the penalty area by Pepe Reina, before then-Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana scored from the spot. Early in the second half Vardy headed in from Jordan Henderson’s cross to give England a convincing lead.

Substitute Theo Walcott missed a chance to extend England’s lead and Southgate’s side were made to pay for that profligacy in the game’s closing stages. After Iago Aspas scored with a curling effort in the 89th minute, in the sixth minute of time added on, Real Madrid’s Isco scored a sucker punch of an equaliser. An impressive performance helped convince those above him that Southgate was the right man for the job – it was after this draw that he was given the job on a permanent basis – and the England manager also learned valuable lessons that contributed to his team’s success at the 2018 World Cup. Speaking exclusively to The Coaches’ Voice, he revisits his approach to playing against a team of Spain’s quality.

Apologies can't listen to this but thought you'd be interested in what the Master has to say.