Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

The great Gareth Southgate

His record in knockout tournaments reads

beat  Panama

beat Tunisa

beat Colunbia

lost to Croatia

lost to Belgium( twice)

lost to Holland

According to talksport and the press he is the bee's knees.

To me he is the eqivalent of a Middlesborouh manager.

I think he's done well galvanising people and tbh he's the first England manager I've liked in a long time, he seems to say good things, but I don't rate him and I've always felt his spell with England will see him leave having done nothing major.

Seems to me he's drifting back into the norm for average football managers, picking out of form top 6 players, going all defensive when in front, and frightened of using creative players who may not appear to be giving 100% headless effort.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, treer said:

beat  Panama

beat Tunisa

beat Colunbia

lost to Croatia

lost to Belgium( twice)

lost to Holland

We have also beat Spain and Croatia in competitive matches within the last year.

He has done a hell of a lot better than any of our previous managers. He can only work with what he has and I think he's getting a lot out of them. On of the reasons we lose to teams like Croatia and Holland is because they have better players and better depth.

15 hours ago, treer said:

beat  Panama

beat Tunisa

beat Colunbia

lost to Croatia

lost to Belgium( twice)

lost to Holland

If you're going to include Panama/Tunisia (group stage games) then surely you've got to also include the Nations League group games...

beat  Panama

beat Tunisa

beat Sweden

beat Colunbia

beat Croatia

beat Spain

drew to Croatia

lost to Spain

lost to Croatia

lost to Belgium( twice)

lost to Holland

That looks a lot healthier, although still not quite pulling up any trees.

Edited by Xen

9 hours ago, treer said:

beat  Panama

beat Tunisa

beat Colunbia

lost to Croatia

lost to Belgium( twice)

lost to Holland

Hang on you cant pick and choose the matches he has won

We beat Spain away (first team in basically forever to beat them at home)

We beat Croatia, Switzerland and smashed Czech Republic 5-0.

We lost last night with a few players not used (apart from Kane and Hendo for a bit) that were in the champs league final.

For the first time in about 20 years the nation actually watch their national team and we play some great football.

He is doing a great job with an extremely talented group of players, we have to learn from our mistakes and hope they continue to try and play football.

Don't be that fan that wants someone sacking because of individual errors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

It wasn't evident last night.

the passage of play that we created for the offside goal was as good as I have seen from England in many years.

The same with Sancho in the first half (and second actually) skipping past De Ligt

There was some glimpse of great football and its an exciting time for the national team.

He is limited as a tactician but he has galvanised this footballing nation and the honour and pride he has in the job he does is admirable. He doesn't just see it as a job of picking a football team, he's trying to foster a way of being a real bright spot for the country at a time when we're the absolute fcukin pits so I respect him. I have looked forward to watching England again after years in the wilderness. He now has an important phase of bringing through the likes of Foden, Sancho, Maddison, Hudson-Odoi, TAA, Wan-Bissaka, Barnes (hopefully) and pieing off the likes of Walker, Delph, and others who haven't performed for England for a year or so now. Walker especially has been poor.

Our midfield is our real weak spot, defensively we could be better but the mistakes seem to stem for an inability in midfield to control the game when needed. I am pinning my hopes on Phil Foden but that type of player if he is given the exposure in Man City's first team or at least on loan in the Prem is essential. He could be a sensation. We are a decent back up striker away from having one of the most frightening attacks in the world. Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi and Kane is a potent mix but they need the balance right behind them enough of the ball to cause the problems.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

the passage of play that we created for the offside goal was as good as I have seen from England in many years.

The same with Sancho in the first half (and second actually) skipping past De Ligt

There was some glimpse of great football and its an exciting time for the national team.

2 or 3 in 120 minutes - hmm.

I'm still in favour because he's done a good job really - he's got people more interested in the national team again and he's created a pathway for younger players to get into the set up.

I do think though he's blown it big time, yesterday in-particular in semi finals, but our lack of quality in midfield can't exactly be put totally on him.

I'm happy enough with him at the minute but last night was a shambles to be honest.

Starting to think he might be England's Puel - he's done a good job of overhauling a dated squad and changing the culture and style of play. But aside from the odd landmark result he's coming up short as a manager in terms of consistently achieving the level we want to be at.

However he just might set the scene for his successor to do very well.

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Starting to think he might be England's Puel - he's done a good job of overhauling a dated squad and changing the culture and style of play. But aside from the odd landmark result he's coming up short as a manager in terms of consistently achieving the level we want to be at.

However he just might set the scene for his successor to do very well.

Coming up short? He is over-achieving with this squad. We aren't anywhere near having the one of the best four squads in the World or even Europe yet we've got to two semi-finals in the last year.

Of course there are weaknesses but he can only work with what he's got. The reality is that he's bedding in an identifiable style of play that *should* serve us well for next few years. Whilst doing that he's playing younger players AND getting some of the best results we've seen for a number of years.

If you think we could just pluck out a better manager who would take us to the next level you are kidding yourself. This isn't club football.

46 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

We will go back to lumping it up to Kane then and basically chasing shadows against the better teams then. Yep that's the kind of football we all want to see.:rolleyes:

Did I say that's what I wanted? I don't even want him to go I just think he could pick a better more dynamic team instead of resorting to unused top 6 players.

This was an ideal time to bring in or blood some of the more promising youngsters it being a rather 2nd rate competition along the lines of the League Cup.

He's surpassed all expectations so far, he took over a side post-Hodgson and post-Allardyce, he's got us playing in a more contemporary fashion and has done a reasonable job integrating some younger talent into the team. We didn't expect much going into Russia and we made the semi finals. Yeah, we weren't outstanding but the nation fell back in love with the national side which wasn't the case under Hodgson or Capello. 

Southgate isn't a great tactician and we already knew that, he's done mostly a brilliant job and anybody expecting him to win us the world cup or the euros is probably expecting too much. We've got the most talented squad we've had for a decade but there's still glaring weaknesses in it. We have a poor midfield, average keepers, a decent but not world class defence (yesterday aside) and what should be an elite forward line but isn't. 

He's got a lot of faults but realistically who could we appoint that's going to do better?

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Did I say that's what I wanted? I don't even want him to go I just think he could pick a better more dynamic team instead of resorting to unused top 6 players.

This was an ideal time to bring in or blood some of the more promising youngsters it being a rather 2nd rate competition along the lines of the League Cup.

The youngsters will be coming through. The u21s Euro's in the summer is an ideal opportunity for those youngsters to shine before hopefully being brought up to the senior team. Far too often we have rushed these players through rather than letting them develop. We have been successful in the age groups in recent years and I think these youngsters deserve the chance to win something.

For me, yesterdays game should be the last opportunity for some of the players in the squad.

5 hours ago, Xen said:

If you're going to include Panama/Tunisia (group stage games) then surely you've got to also include the Nations League group games...

beat  Panama

beat Tunisa

beat Colunbia

beat Croatia

beat Spain

drew to Croatia

lost to Spain

lost to Croatia

lost to Belgium( twice)

lost to Holland

That looks a lot healthier, although still not quite pulling up any trees.

Both games against Belgium were dead rubbers - we benefitted from coming 2nd in the World Cup and the 3rd/4th playoff is pants.

Last night was Southgate's first real poor display as manager for me - he's developed his management with the squad. He needs to keep up with that. 

He has done OK however lacks the ability to take us to the next level its always going to be a problem for any England manager though we have Kane leading the line for the next 5 years someone else said it but its just another Rooney situation.

his biggest downfall is not playing Vardy or utilising him in the world cup hes just another yes man deep down.

50 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

The youngsters will be coming through. The u21s Euro's in the summer is an ideal opportunity for those youngsters to shine before hopefully being brought up to the senior team. Far too often we have rushed these players through rather than letting them develop. We have been successful in the age groups in recent years and I think these youngsters deserve the chance to win something.

For me, yesterdays game should be the last opportunity for some of the players in the squad.

I don’t recall many incidents of rushing players through at international level rather the opposite hanging on to players pass their sell by date or more likely never play dates.

If you think yesterday was the last opportunity then 1 game here or there to move them on and give the upcoming players some senior tournament experience before the real Euros is not the problem you suggest then.