Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
knitro

Football365: Which PL clubs have planned most and least for the long-term

Interesting examination - shows how we've done a good job of building this squad for the long term:

As we approach July 1, when contracts expire or tick over into another year, we’ve looked at which Premier League clubs have got their long-term planning in place. 

Below are listed all the players with more than two years remaining on their deals. Watford have most players on long-term deals, while Premier League revenues will surely see Sheffield United begin to think beyond the next season or two.

Leicester – 18
2022: Jamie Vardy, Kelechi Iheanacho, Marc Albrighton, Rachid Ghezzal, Danny Ward, Daniel Amartey, Hamza Choudhury, Fousseni Diabate, Matty James.
2023: Harry Maguire, James Maddison, Ricardo Pereira, Caglar Söyüncü, Kasper Schmeichel, Filip Benkovic.
2024: Wilfred Ndidi, Ben Chilwell, Harvey Barnes

Future's bright!

Edited by knitro

1 hour ago, knitro said:

Leicester – 18
2022: Jamie Vardy, Kelechi Iheanacho, Marc Albrighton, Rachid Ghezzal, Danny Ward, Daniel Amartey, Hamza Choudhury, Fousseni Diabate, Matty James.
2023: Harry Maguire, James Maddison, Ricardo Pereira, Caglar Söyüncü, Kasper Schmeichel, Filip Benkovic.
2024: Wilfred Ndidi, Ben Chilwell, Harvey Barnes

This can be taken a few different ways.

On the plus side 2023-24 players are huge for us and all on long term contracts is good for us, increases any potential value as well.

However; the names I've bolded in 2022 are of some concern. Firstly Matty James, he's had huge amounts of bad luck with injury, unless there's a clause related to games, it's not great to have him till then.  Alternatively, I can't see him being on a huge salary and it supports our "family club" ethos.

Ghezzal on a deal till 2022 is quite worrying given the ability we've seen so far. Once again you'd hope he's on a smaller wage, but we shall see. Him having played with YT at Monaco  may help swing a permanent deal.

I'd like to see Hamza given a new deal and secure him to Leicester till 2024 as well, he has a bright future for me.

Edited by UniFox21

28 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

On the plus side 2023-24 players are huge for us and all on long term contracts is good for us, increases any potential value as well.

However; the names I've bolded in 2022 are of some concern. Firstly Matty James, he's had huge amounts of bad luck with injury, unless there's a clause related to games, it's not great to have him till then.  Alternatively, I can't see him being on a huge salary and it supports our "family club" ethos.

Ghezzal on a deal till 2022 is quite worrying given the ability we've seen so far. Once again you'd hope he's on a smaller wage, but we shall see. Him having played with YT at Monaco  may help swing a permanent deal.

I'd like to see Hamza given a new deal and secure him to Leicester till 2024 as well, he has a bright future for me.

I think that's fair - though if Matty James and Ghezzal are our two biggest albatrosses, we aren't doing so badly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Giving him a 5 year contract was a bit insane with his injury record. I suppose if he’s not on an absurd wage it’s mainly to give him the support he needs to recover, train and puts him in a stronger position to find another club. 

That just means he got a standard 4 year deal when we signed him - I doubt we’ll be renewing it or giving him a pay rise any time soon and when we try to move him on next summer (I hope), we should be able to get some sort of fee. 

Completely agree. His last one was in November 2018 so hopefully he gets a long term one soon. Though he’ll want to earn a regular starting spot first!

11 hours ago, knitro said:

I think that's fair - though if Matty James and Ghezzal are our two biggest albatrosses, we aren't doing so badly.

2 misses and whole host of hits looks pretty good to me 

No Gray though…

No squad's going to be perfectly built but you've got to question how James has got another three years. As much as I sympathise with him the bloke is unlikely to ever kick a ball for us again.

Ghezzal's got more years than he ought to have done but then again I suppose we didn't sign him with the pretence that he'd be rubbish so I can understand it a bit more. Would like to see Ghezzal come good here but in truth I reckon he probably spends another year doing what he did this season before being sold to someone like Nantes for a fraction of what we paid.

17 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

No squad's going to be perfectly built but you've got to question how James has got another three years. As much as I sympathise with him the bloke is unlikely to ever kick a ball for us again.

Ghezzal's got more years than he ought to have done but then again I suppose we didn't sign him with the pretence that he'd be rubbish so I can understand it a bit more. Would like to see Ghezzal come good here but in truth I reckon he probably spends another year doing what he did this season before being sold to someone like Nantes for a fraction of what we paid.

Ghezzal’s stats p90 are reasonable but he’s not played that many minutes so it’s hard to tell if it’s an accurate reflection. I think he’s alright as a player and is definitely creative enough as a squad player