Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Paddy McCarthy

Yeh the past few games he has been solid i thought he went through a sort of a bad patch he wasnt playing terrible just not to his standard but he is improving at the minute

No Dion at the back and a clean sheet!!!

Hmmm..................

I'm not sure that it's because of Dion not being there, because he's done well. I think it's a case of the two Paddys playing well and excelling the performances of Dion and making a good, well balanced partnership. :)

I'm not totally convinced yet. I thought he was a breath of fresh air last season. After having to put up with the comedy duo of Heath and Dabizas for much of the season, McCarthy was assured and aggressive. He hasn't started this season off very well and seems to have adopted the Nikos way of defending - i.e. Plenty of blatant grabbing, conceding far too many free kicks. He also seems more panicy on the ball, which could be down to confidence. Last season he would have taken more responsibility on the ball - it's not really been the case this season.

When he first came to the club he played on instinct and at times he was played at full back and not centre back. He could afford to make a few mistakes when he was playing at full back and it wouldn't cost the team but this season he's been played down the middle and I think this has highlighted any mistakes he's made. Levein described him as a sponge at the end of last season and said he takes on board any information he's given. Maybe he's tried too hard to do everything he's been told? It can't be easy to be a young centre back at City with Craig Levein in charge and Rob kelly as his assistant. He must be getting given advice every other second from one or the other.

Still a lot to learn but he has improved. he seems more confident and more composed as a defender. He can become a really good defender if he stays focused and disciplined for the whole 90 minutes!

Levein described him as a sponge at the end of last season and said he takes on board any information he's given. Maybe he's tried too hard to do everything he's been told? It can't be easy to be a young centre back at City with Craig Levein in charge and Rob kelly as his assistant. He must be getting given advice every other second from one or the other.

In training, he appears to be very focused and seems to concentrate on what both CL and RK are saying. I don't think he minds being given advice by them (or even people like Dion). He is extremely driven and would do anything that he feels will get him there.

PS: When does a young centre back stop being young? :P

I still say that if he hangs around long enough he'll be our club captain, probably as soon as next year. Considering he's only played a few more games than Stearman at this level I think his performances have been very good.

I completely agree. I think this season has been harder for him than he thought it would, but he's learning all the time, particularly as he is now the first-choice centre-back. However, I still think he's too dependent on Dion at the moment for the organisational and leadership side to his game. This, of course, comes from playing and experience.

In the Preston post-match interview Levein said that he thinks Paddy will become an 'excellent' centre-back. :D

He's certainly showing an appetite for the job. Different player since Nils moved outside. Is that coincidence.

All the uncertainty, all the silly errors, they seem to have virtually disappeared. Opponents are getting very few chances over 90 minutes.

Paddy was excellent again today. I think he's a fantastic prospect and the last few games I've seen him play he has been immense. He is definitely one of Levein's best signings and I for one think he can have a great career at this club.

Paddy was excellent again today. I think he's a fantastic prospect and the last few games I've seen him play he has been immense. He is definitely one of Levein's best signings and I for one think he can have a great career at this club.

That's very good to hear. I was getting concerned about his poor performances a while back, but he seems to have gotten back to last seasons standard.

In training, he appears to be very focused and seems to concentrate on what both CL and RK are saying. I don't think he minds being given advice by them (or even people like Dion). He is extremely driven and would do anything that he feels will get him there.

PS: When does a young centre back stop being young? :P

I know they always pull him to one side. That's what has been worrying me. You have to remember that football is a very simple game really and you can make it complicated by thinking about what you're doing too much. If Paddy takes onboard everything everybody's telling him he'll be doing three different things at once.

He was solid today in almost everything he did. He's looking very good next to Gerrbrand. They need to be kept together for a long period no matter what imo.

Archived