Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WEGSOK

Ben Chilwell

5 hours ago, davieG said:

Unfair to compare him with Ricardo.

Isn't Ricardo a converted winger learning to be a FB with a loads more experience whilst Chilwell is a young inexperienced fullback learning to fit into LCFC game play.

As for whether he's not as good as last season well you can direct that at Youri, Harvey and Mcguire before he left.

Chilwell played as a winger for much of his youth career too.

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that really is poor!!

It seems like the tendency in this era, is to attack through build up play, which has its influence from the continent ,with the influx of overseas players managers and their coaching staff. The old British style of play which focused on the physical with set pieces was very much a part of the attacking armoury.

Absolutely no reason why the question should not be asked and because other teams do not prioritise this aspect of their game it is no reason why we should not be looking to improve the ratio to a level that supports our goals.

Without delving back to the O'neill  years to illustrate my point, to not question our poor set piece success ratio is to ignore an important facet of play which has become undermined.

It's not that. If it were so easy to make something from corners, don't you think everyone would be doing it? The fact is that since the introduction of zonal marking to the PL, corners have been a lot less effective, because the defensive system against them has been much more effective. It's not about attack, it's about defence.

Maybe a radically new way of appraoching corners would bring something to the game, like, I don't know, setting up to retain possession in regular formation but very high up the pitch instead of penetrating with the cross instantly, so regular attacking patterns can be played but with the team as far as possible on the front foot, which would completely bypass zonal marking as needed. But just finding ways of crossing better from corners is not going to yield better results, because people have been trying to do this for years and it's yielded largely nothing. 

That's why I've been so patient with the more inventive "training ground" crosses that we've been trialing, the very first cross nearly resulted in a goal for Soyuncu if Tarkowski hadn't vitally intercepted the pass to him. They represent us trying to get ahead of the league average by trying something new.

Edit: to add onto this, the reason it was part of "the old english armoury" that was steamrolled by the influx of foreign managers, is because foreign managers brought in the zonal marking that killed corners so effectively.

Edited by Nicolo Barella

I keep changing my mind with him.

I agree he should be developed, thus he should remain in the starting 11, but his current form suggests he should have a break.

All of the 12 threads offer insightful opinions for both sides.

What I can't understand is, why has he been giving the ball away so often?

Guest An Sionnach

Are we going to say he's young and inexperienced when he is 32. This has got nothing to do with his age, he is out of form and in a sense the others are carrying him . I admit our options are limited but Rodgers should be kicking his arse . He can be a lot better and we want to see it.

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

He plays so well for England but so shit (on face value) for us because we have Harvey Barnes who straight refuses to do any sort of defensive work and marks himself next to the right back.

It's that simple.

When we used to have Albrighton playing on the left Chilwell used to bomb up and down the touchline all game. Now he gets the ball from Soyuncu, turns and sees everyone ahead of him is being marked (and doing nothing about it) and so he has to turn back to give the ball back.

A winger (or two) in January is absolutely necessary if we want European football. We can't keep playing strikers on the wing and hoping that they'll magically turn into wingers.

Boom, we now have a Barnes knocking thread, the plot thickens 

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that really is poor!!

It seems like the tendency in this era, is to attack through build up play, which has its influence from the continent ,with the influx of overseas players managers and their coaching staff. The old British style of play which focused on the physical with set pieces was very much a part of the attacking armoury.

Absolutely no reason why the question should not be asked and because other teams do not prioritise this aspect of their game it is no reason why we should not be looking to improve the ratio to a level that supports our goals.

Without delving back to the O'neill  years to illustrate my point, to not question our poor set piece success ratio is to ignore an important facet of play which has become undermined.

Used to love those days ...Elliot,Walsh,Marshall,Prior,Taggart opposition defences knees trembling when we got a corner !

• Like 1

Never felt Chilwell is a natural defender..certainly not  in the mould of left backs like Stuart Pearce,Julian Dicks  etc ... .believe Kasper gave him a bollocking for not closing down for Burnleys goal yesterday...also feel he is too one footed favouring his left ninety five per cent of the time , making it easier for opposing players to close him down.

But he has got talent for sure...very quick and often makes the hard things look easy ..keeping possesion of the ball in tight situations for instance..which probably leads him to being underrated by some