Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WEGSOK

Ben Chilwell

Why does Chilwell play so well for England but so poorly for Leicester? Always passing back, or to the opposition. Burnley played the long game and it nearly worked for them. Does anyone remember when Leicester last scored from a corner?

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

1. There's already a Chilwell thread.

2. What's the last question got to do with Chilwell lol. Bizarre to include that. 

3. He's not that poor for us. Give him a break.

The other thread is more an unsubstantiated rumour.

But yeah he's still a very good left back but not as good as last season.

He's definitely regressed now Barnes or Maddison play in front of him.

1 hour ago, WEGSOK said:

Why does Chilwell play so well for England but so poorly for Leicester? Always passing back, or to the opposition. Burnley played the long game and it nearly worked for them. Does anyone remember when Leicester last scored from a corner?

Welcome to FoxesTalk 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WEGSOK said:

Are you treer in disguise?

• Haha 4

I think other teams in the Premier League are more aware of what Chilwell can and can't do because he's now our established LB. As such, he's finding life a harder. For example, I think other teams have learned that he's not comfortable with aerial balls so they exploiting this. At international level he's less of a known quantity and he's often playing against teams who'd struggle in League one - so that's not a fair comparison.

Isn't it fairly normal for a young player to go through ups and downs in their form? IMHO BC is a bright lad and a good player, he'll get through this and get even better. Taking him out of the side won't help his learning curve. He will get better at dealing with aerial balls for example, by playing.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

My take on watching him down at the ground, is that he has the talent but at times is phoning it in, not making runs and pulling out of challenges and peeps see this straight away, Ricardo on the other side does have bad days but he never gives less than 100% so he is not picked on.

Part of the reason was an injury he had and maybe he is afraid of getting seriously clattered, maybe he is too comfortable knowing he has the left back spot and England place pretty much locked down at present, who knows but he is not at his best and it shows.

The transfer rumours do not help when he is not playing so well but the stick he gets is more on social media than at the ground so I doubt he is overly bothered by any of it.

2 hours ago, WEGSOK said:

Possibly had his head turned by speculation linking him to bigger clubs and wants out? Not that this should be an excuse of course.

I think the biggest groan about Chilwell is that he checks back way too often to play it safe compared to Ricardo who is one of our best attacking outlets due to his enthusiasm to drive forward and skill on the ball to do so.

I think one consideration here is that Chilwell has Barnes ahead of him who is also inexperienced and learning the game and personally I think Chilwell and Barnes as a combination have improved massively compared to when Barnes came in and Chilwell would often ignore him. But our second goal for example heavily featured the superb Ricardo whereas Chilwell usually doesn’t get as involved. 

There is also one other consideration here - Rodgers might be instructing him not to be as gung ho. At Celtic he played lopsided fullbacks with Tierney way more attacking and in this case the other full back has to sit to safeguard the turnover. And whilst Chilwell hasn’t improved much this season, Ricardo could honestly be considered world class and as a team we have improved a ton. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

1. There's already a Chilwell thread.

2. What's the last question got to do with Chilwell lol. Bizarre to include that. 

3. He's not that poor for us. Give him a break.

Leicester fans need to criticise someone, this season it's Chilwell's turn, people I sit next to want to sell him that bad you would think they make commission off the transfer fee or something.

• Haha 1

Unfair to compare him with Ricardo.

Isn't Ricardo a converted winger learning to be a FB with a loads more experience whilst Chilwell is a young inexperienced fullback learning to fit into LCFC game play.

As for whether he's not as good as last season well you can direct that at Youri, Harvey and Mcguire before he left.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think the biggest groan about Chilwell is that he checks back way too often to play it safe compared to Ricardo who is one of our best attacking outlets due to his enthusiasm to drive forward and skill on the ball to do so.

I think one consideration here is that Chilwell has Barnes ahead of him who is also inexperienced and learning the game and personally I think Chilwell and Barnes as a combination have improved massively compared to when Barnes came in and Chilwell would often ignore him. But our second goal for example heavily featured the superb Ricardo whereas Chilwell usually doesn’t get as involved. 

There is also one other consideration here - Rodgers might be instructing him not to be as gung ho. At Celtic he played lopsided fullbacks with Tierney way more attacking and in this case the other full back has to sit to safeguard the turnover. And whilst Chilwell hasn’t improved much this season, Ricardo could honestly be considered world class and as a team we have improved a ton. 

Very good points, particularly Barnes and Chilwell's chemistry, in my opinion it is definitely improving, albeit slowly. 

4 hours ago, WEGSOK said:

Why are you complaining about corners, of all things? We're above league average for them, and they've been picked apart in the modern game to the point that the PL average is for 1 corner to lead to a goal every 30 attempts, and that includes indirectly after the initial cross is cleared and the ball getting recycled a couple of times. It would literally be more constructive to complain about fans "not getting behind the team enough".

• Like 1

He plays so well for England but so shit (on face value) for us because we have Harvey Barnes who straight refuses to do any sort of defensive work and marks himself next to the right back.

It's that simple.

When we used to have Albrighton playing on the left Chilwell used to bomb up and down the touchline all game. Now he gets the ball from Soyuncu, turns and sees everyone ahead of him is being marked (and doing nothing about it) and so he has to turn back to give the ball back.

A winger (or two) in January is absolutely necessary if we want European football. We can't keep playing strikers on the wing and hoping that they'll magically turn into wingers.

• Like 4

I’m not a chillwell fan meself,for me he’s our weakest player,

when you look at what Ricardo does defensively and going forward,

him and chilwell are chalk and cheese,

if chilwell offered on the left what Ricardo does on the right then he’ll be a better player for it but he’s never in a million years world class,not even a quality player in my opinion

Guest Eamonn
3 hours ago, ithuriel said:

My take on watching him down at the ground, is that he has the talent but at times is phoning it in, not making runs and pulling out of challenges and peeps see this straight away, Ricardo on the other side does have bad days but he never gives less than 100% so he is not picked on.

Part of the reason was an injury he had and maybe he is afraid of getting seriously clattered, maybe he is too comfortable knowing he has the left back spot and England place pretty much locked down at present, who knows but he is not at his best and it shows.

The transfer rumours do not help when he is not playing so well but the stick he gets is more on social media than at the ground so I doubt he is overly bothered by any of it.

Rogers adapts our style, depending on the opposition. Against Spurs BC and RP had to tuck in as part of a highly structured defence. It worked and he played well . I think he made Vardy's goal that day too. He's a very good ball winner and is key to how we transition quickly under Rogers.

For those basing their opinions from yesterday's game only, what did you expect him to do against a resilient, defensive and well organised Burnley side? Space was restricted going forward as it is against a side with that tactic and if the pass to Barnes wasn't on he'd play it safe and play it back in to the midfield or back to Soyuncu? 

That as opposed to trying to take a Burnley player on but then do that, and you're up against 2 or 3 other Burnley players in an instant. 

The way we set up & play allows Pereira to exploit space on the right hand side while Perez plays a bit inside and link up with Maddison/Tielemans. If Chilwell always did the same we'd be left ridiculously open on both flanks and very susceptible to a counter attack (which Burnley did do a couple of times anyway). 

I agree he's not helped by Barnes' lack of defensive abilities but that's something for Rodgers and Barnes to solve as opposed to Chilwell personally. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

You have to remember that Chilwell was often caught out when he started playing for us, and that was our main complaint, and this only improved after sought Simpson's guidance, a player rarely caught out often due to his reluctance to get forward. He's even more reluctant these days and probably rightly so with a young Barnes, a player who rarely tracks back and who's first touch needs improvement, in front of him.

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Why are you complaining about corners, of all things? We're above league average for them, and they've been picked apart in the modern game to the point that the PL average is for 1 corner to lead to a goal every 30 attempts, and that includes indirectly after the initial cross is cleared and the ball getting recycled a couple of times. It would literally be more constructive to complain about fans "not getting behind the team enough".

...that really is poor!!

It seems like the tendency in this era, is to attack through build up play, which has its influence from the continent ,with the influx of overseas players managers and their coaching staff. The old British style of play which focused on the physical with set pieces was very much a part of the attacking armoury.

Absolutely no reason why the question should not be asked and because other teams do not prioritise this aspect of their game it is no reason why we should not be looking to improve the ratio to a level that supports our goals.

Without delving back to the O'neill  years to illustrate my point, to not question our poor set piece success ratio is to ignore an important facet of play which has become undermined.