Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Christmas Songs

' date='Nov 12 2005, 07:18 PM' post='212015']

You got the Christmas Album?

Even though I think the Vandals are diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks it's not a bad 'un.

Have to say that I don't like The Vandals - I think at the time we played with them they had started doing loads of country & western shíte?

Have to say that I don't like The Vandals - I think at the time we played with them they had started doing loads of country & western shíte?

You mean...

vandals-badcountry.jpg

I like The Vandals to be fair although I am not keen the on their latest album they also have Josh Freese in the band who in my book is one of the best and busiest drummers around!!

' date='Nov 12 2005, 07:18 PM' post='212015']

You got the Christmas Album?

Even though I think the Vandals are diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks it's not a bad 'un.

Yes, it's brilliant :D

I think they started along the lines of that but around the time the Christmas album was released in 1996 they have made some great amusing punk music.

I Believe In Father Christmas

When a Child Is Born

Almost any Christmas song sung in Leicester Cathedral where the acoustics and atmosphere are wonderful. And, conducted by the (presumably late and legendary) choirmaster George Gray they would have a little extra besides. Happy days indeed.

Mention of Christmas songs reminds me of wonderful days spent as a chorister in the Leicester Cathedral choir and, in particular, singing carols in the town hall square.

This tradition was always followed by a mayoral banquet after which we would make our way back to the song school via a cobbled path by the side of the Cathedral.

Anyone who has been down there will know that the always eerie cobbled path is bordered by a hedge on the Cathedral side and behind the foliage are rows of gravestones.

On this particular dead of night we were walking back, suitably attired in our dark red cassocks and contrasting white surplices and I could here someone walking behind us on the cobblestones.

In a flash I persuaded my mates to nip through the hedge and hide behind the gravestones.

As the guy walked past - and remember it was well past midnight, we appeared from behind the stones in our white surplices, arms raised outwards, like ghosts and issueing suitable ghostly sounds.

It was just like watching a cartoon character. The guy leapt screaming into the air, landed back on the ground and the split-second his feet touched the ground he took off as fast as his feet would carry him and still yelling for help at the top of his voice!.

The choirmaster was not amused when he found out...

Mention of Christmas songs reminds me of wonderful days spent as a chorister in the Leicester Cathedral choir and, in particular, singing carols in the town hall square.

This tradition was always followed by a mayoral banquet after which we would make our way back to the song school via a cobbled path by the side of the Cathedral.

Anyone who has ben down there will know that the always eerie cobbled path is bordered by a hedge on the Cathedral side and behind the foliage are rows of gravestones.

On this particular dead of night we were walking back, suitably attired in our dark red cassocks and contrasting white surplices and I could here someone walking behind us on the cobblestones.

In a flash I persuaded my mates to nip through the hedge and hide behind the gravestones.

As the guy walked past - and remember it was well past midnight, we appeared from behind the stones in our white surplices, arms raised outwards, like ghosts and issueing suitable ghostly sounds.

It was just like watching a cartoon character. The guy leapt screaming into the air, landed back on the ground and the spril-second his feet touched the ground he took off as fast as his feet would carry him and still yelling for help at the top of his voice!.

The choirmaster was not amused when he found out...

:D:D

If there was a category for "Bizarre Anecdote of the Year", I think we'd have a winner.

I can recommend the XFM compliation It's A Cool Cool Christmas on Jeepster Records. Unfortunately, it's been deleted, but worth trying to hunt down if you want an alternative to the usual serving of Crimbo music...

Belle & Sebastian, Low and Departure Lounge are my faves.

As for the radio-friendly stuff, "Christmas Rapping" by the Waitresses(?) is my fave.

Archived