Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers a 'realist' in Leicester City's bid to keep star names

10 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Brendan thinks and knows right now that the best Leicester City can be is a stepping stone for those young talents not quite good enough for the ‘Big Six’ just yet. But I don’t get why he has to keep talking about it so much...

For me, he does a bit too much of the “we’re the poor guys fighting against all the big giants” talk. Can’t help but wonder if part of it is self-promotion so people keep saying “look what a great job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Leicester City, he’s developing all these great young players and giving them the opportunity to move to a big club”.

He is doing a great a job. But he, and others, sometimes seem to forget that he actually walked into a club that had already won the premier league a couple of years prior and where a squad with the likes of Vardy, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Evans, Maddison and Ndidi had already been recruited prior to him joining the club.

Getting us Europa League football last season was, I would argue, on par with where we should be. It would take a trophy and/or top 4 this season for me to feel he was drastically overcoming this inequality of competition that he talks about a lot.

so you like taking the negative out of the positive....fits in with the pessimistic east-midlands-character DNA....!! Dunnit

He's right.  EVERY club loses a op player or two at some point, you only have to look back in history.  Man Utd lost Ronaldo, Chelsea lost Hazard, Liverpool lost Suarez/Torres, Arsenal lost Van Persie, Fabregas.  We are know different and will continue to lose players.  I honestly think we are creating an atomosphere, an ethos and a platform that makes it hard for players to want to leave and if they are to leave, it's only going to be a club of a really high stature.  The draw of the big clubs will always be there but the grass isn't always greener though, ask Danny Drinkwater.

I think this summer is the most likely one where we do hang onto everyone due to the current situation but for me it think it might be either Cags or Fofana that go.

We keep being linked to central defenders who you would think would come and start games, yeah I think Evans might not play every single game next season so it might be that.

I know we have only had Fofana for 5 minutes but he has genuinely been hugely impressive and I really could see one of the big boys offering to break the record fee we got for Maguire.

Every player will want to play at one of the top clubs and test themselves there, but I actually think few players actually successfully are able to do that. A lot of careers have flopped after a so called big move and a few seasons later, they're actually worse off then when they left their previous club. 

Staying here may get you European football every year and a real chance to win the cups with the added bonus in playing in a team that seems like is a real close knit group. We're changing from being a stepping stone club to one that can challenge with the best. 

On 10/04/2021 at 10:13, andy peake said:

All very true of course, like it or not unfortunately. I think we can say that if Brendan had replaced Claudio then Mahrez would have likely left the club earlier and without so much drama because Brendan wouldn’t have stood in his way.

I think Claudio will have been a minor cog in the transfer saga of Mahrez. 

KP weren’t going to be trodden over by Man City’s transfer tactics, even if it meant they lost millions. They stuck to their principles and fair fuching play to them.

They set a precedence for future transfers, and in hindsight, it was a good move by them. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

54 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I think this summer is the most likely one where we do hang onto everyone due to the current situation but for me it think it might be either Cags or Fofana that go.

We keep being linked to central defenders who you would think would come and start games, yeah I think Evans might not play every single game next season so it might be that.

I know we have only had Fofana for 5 minutes but he has genuinely been hugely impressive and I really could see one of the big boys offering to break the record fee we got for Maguire.

We need to sell some flops, like good for us and sh1t there after, Maguire, Drinky, achy breaky knockart, Musa...

he was mint vs barca or someone wasn't he then, nothing.

A reputation as a club that makes players look better than they actually are, that's the golden formula 👌😉