Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers a 'realist' in Leicester City's bid to keep star names

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Brendan thinks and knows right now that the best Leicester City can be is a stepping stone for those young talents not quite good enough for the ‘Big Six’ just yet. But I don’t get why he has to keep talking about it so much...

For me, he does a bit too much of the “we’re the poor guys fighting against all the big giants” talk. Can’t help but wonder if part of it is self-promotion so people keep saying “look what a great job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Leicester City, he’s developing all these great young players and giving them the opportunity to move to a big club”.

He is doing a great a job. But he, and others, sometimes seem to forget that he actually walked into a club that had already won the premier league a couple of years prior and where a squad with the likes of Vardy, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Evans, Maddison and Ndidi had already been recruited prior to him joining the club.

Getting us Europa League football last season was, I would argue, on par with where we should be. It would take a trophy and/or top 4 this season for me to feel he was drastically overcoming this inequality of competition that he talks about a lot.

Without Brendan we're upper mid table at best.

3 hours ago, andy peake said:

All very true of course, like it or not unfortunately. I think we can say that if Brendan had replaced Claudio then Mahrez would have likely left the club earlier and without so much drama because Brendan wouldn’t have stood in his way.

Not necessarily as Brendan was behind Suarez staying an extra year before going off to Barca...

3 hours ago, andy peake said:

All very true of course, like it or not unfortunately. I think we can say that if Brendan had replaced Claudio then Mahrez would have likely left the club earlier and without so much drama because Brendan wouldn’t have stood in his way.

Or perhaps he would've seen more of an opportunity playing for Brendon. Could still be with us ripping it up.

Guest StevieLynex
4 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Ahh yes, but what’s the underlying message here hmmm?  What he is actually saying is that Leicester City are great but if a big club comes in for him he’ll be off. Simples. 

Next stop Arsenal?

55 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's a good time to sell this summer if we get indications that someone isn't gonna sign another contract. We don't want players worth 50m+ to be going into their final 18 months of the contract, may as well get rid of them before their value starts to go down.

This summer is going to be a buyers market, prices will be lower then normal.

Guest StevieLynex

If we had to sell one of these players, which one would you let go:

Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Cags

I definitely wouldn't want Ndidi to go. Of the four, most probably Cags - if we got something like £50-60m for him

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

Maddison just re-upped.  Cags and Wilf are signed through 2024.  Can't see the club selling them this summer, especially as prices will be depressed.

Cags is 2023 isn't he?

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Just got a feeling it will be Cags to go.

I think he's the most likely if he's not gonna sign a new contract.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Cags is 2023 isn't he?

I think he's the most likely if he's not gonna sign a new contract.

Right, I may have checked the wrong source.  Sportrac shows him signed to 6/2024 but transfermarket 6/2023.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

...and yet on the same day in another Merc article he says this:-

Asked for his opinion on Neville’s comment, Rodgers replied: “Ooh, Gary. I want to manage at international level at some point in my career, I’ve always said that but I’m very happy here.

“I’ve signed a long contract here and I’ve only been here just over a couple of years. Being at Leicester City is the absolute perfect place for me. I can develop players, I have a great relationship with the board and the hierarchy here, and I still feel there are lots of improvements we can make.

“Gareth has done a great job since he’s been there. They have an exciting generation of players, not only for now but for the next decade or so. They are always going to be competitive.

“I look no further than where I am at the moment. I’m very happy to be here, and I’m very privileged to be here at Leicester.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-gives-verdict-leicester-5282547

Of course he could be lying and circumstances can change for the worst ala Pearson.

Everyone leaves eventually. To be fair, international comments aside, I've heard him state the same at Liverpool and Celtic. Manager speak as in this is the best job I've ever had. Whatever.

For me this is the best job he's ever had and I'm going to enjoy the shit out of it while it lasts. Because his next step is into the land of plastic and its a totally different feeling than having to constantly punch above your weight. Being the underdog. I need the drama.

5 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I don't know what is going on in his head - maybe he wasn't actually talking about himself - but I think you are stretching his comments to put your own words in his mouth. 

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

He's not talking about himself. Why are you even entertaining the idea? 

He’s obviously not talking about himself in this instance, but why would anyone think it wouldn’t be applicable to him as well?

Instead of throwing up obvious names, und Running like a punter, with the tail between their legs...

Why Not just Keep quiet...Theres No Balloon or bonbons for putting up names to be the First  transfered..!!

Sit back & wait & see what & who gets thrown into the mix....

Why do fans want to be seen doing the agents job for them....!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

Fact is- no club is truly a ‘buying’ club. Every individual player will have their preferences: money, location, club loyalty, dream clubs etc. 

Leicester are going to be far down the pecking order on most counts. But it’s not like Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, or even the likes of Bayern Munich or Barca haven’t lost key players against their will. We’re in the enviable position compared to 99% of clubs where we’re good enough to have pulling power of our own and, more importantly, we can retain our most promising players a lot longer than most with tangible opportunities to actually win silverware and compete in Europe. 

He’s stating the obvious to temper expectations as any decent manager should, but it is important to remember how good we do have it currently. As @Sharpe's Fox said, it’s not obvious there’s any player desperate to jump as there has previous seasons. Not many clubs with the quality we have could say the same.

4 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

I definitely wouldn't want Ndidi to go. Of the four, most probably Cags - if we got something like £50-60m for him

...I would have felt Maddison was the most easily replaceable!!!

Once you have a player of his quality in the backline such as Cags it is hard to replace. Potential future captain, unless he is looking to go to Real or Barca, we need him here.

6 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Out of the four probably Soyuncu. He’s the one I think we could replace the most as we have a decent track record of signing defenders.