Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers a 'realist' in Leicester City's bid to keep star names

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Sensible chap this Brendan, he could do well. 

Ahh yes, but what’s the underlying message here hmmm?  What he is actually saying is that Leicester City are great but if a big club comes in for him he’ll be off. Simples. 

4 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Still get some fans saying "why are we a selling club?!?!"

Every club is a selling club lol even Man United lose their players when Real or Barcelona come knocking.

And we're not a selling club in the true sense of the term. That means (or used to mean) clubs would just sell as quickly as possible as soon as a good player showed his worth- we fight our corner to get great prices which we've certainly done in the past two years.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Ahh yes, but what’s the underlying message here hmmm?  What he is actually saying is that Leicester City are great but if a big club comes in for him he’ll be off. Simples. 

The underlying message could also be that he had seen how big clubs operate and been spat out the other end. His background is a youth coach at Chelsea and maybe he appreciates being somewhere with a focus on developing players, putting their money in world class training facilities, which is where he can build his legacy. 

I don't know what is going on in his head - maybe he wasn't actually talking about himself - but I think you are stretching his comments to put your own words in his mouth. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Golden Fox said:

The underlying message could also be that he had seen how big clubs operate and been spat out the other end. His background is a youth coach at Chelsea and maybe he appreciates being somewhere with a focus on developing players, putting their money in world class training facilities, which is where he can build his legacy. 

I don't know what is going on in his head - maybe he wasn't actually talking about himself - but I think you are stretching his comments to put your own words in his mouth. 

I was indeed 🤣

33 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

...and yet on the same day in another Merc article he says this:-

Asked for his opinion on Neville’s comment, Rodgers replied: “Ooh, Gary. I want to manage at international level at some point in my career, I’ve always said that but I’m very happy here.

“I’ve signed a long contract here and I’ve only been here just over a couple of years. Being at Leicester City is the absolute perfect place for me. I can develop players, I have a great relationship with the board and the hierarchy here, and I still feel there are lots of improvements we can make.

“Gareth has done a great job since he’s been there. They have an exciting generation of players, not only for now but for the next decade or so. They are always going to be competitive.

“I look no further than where I am at the moment. I’m very happy to be here, and I’m very privileged to be here at Leicester.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-gives-verdict-leicester-5282547

Of course he could be lying and circumstances can change for the worst ala Pearson.

he's just stating the obvious.

The club are in a good place to recruit and retain players. But, we all know that we are not top of the food chain, and there are certain clubs who can pay a lot more than we can. If a player wants to leave, then ultimately it suits both player and club to sell him (whilst leveraging the best possible deal for the club)

Just now, andy peake said:

All very true of course, like it or not unfortunately. I think we can say that if Brendan had replaced Claudio then Mahrez would have likely left the club earlier and without so much drama because Brendan wouldn’t have stood in his way.

I think there's more layers to it than this. He's got to firstly motivate and get players to buy in to his philosophy. I doubt it's a case of "all the players who don't want to be here, there's the door..." I'd imagine he'd want to work with them first and if they still feel the same then get rid. For all we know Rodgers might have made Mahrez happy, especially with the champions league place chasing league form. 

Brendan thinks and knows right now that the best Leicester City can be is a stepping stone for those young talents not quite good enough for the ‘Big Six’ just yet. But I don’t get why he has to keep talking about it so much...

For me, he does a bit too much of the “we’re the poor guys fighting against all the big giants” talk. Can’t help but wonder if part of it is self-promotion so people keep saying “look what a great job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Leicester City, he’s developing all these great young players and giving them the opportunity to move to a big club”.

He is doing a great a job. But he, and others, sometimes seem to forget that he actually walked into a club that had already won the premier league a couple of years prior and where a squad with the likes of Vardy, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Evans, Maddison and Ndidi had already been recruited prior to him joining the club.

Getting us Europa League football last season was, I would argue, on par with where we should be. It would take a trophy and/or top 4 this season for me to feel he was drastically overcoming this inequality of competition that he talks about a lot.

2 hours ago, andy peake said:

All very true of course, like it or not unfortunately. I think we can say that if Brendan had replaced Claudio then Mahrez would have likely left the club earlier and without so much drama because Brendan wouldn’t have stood in his way.

...it then takes us back to getting the fee the club believed he was worth!!!

If there were clubs looking to pick up a bargain and bids were way below what we considered fair within the market, then we were entitled to retain his services until our price was met.

As much as we hate it as fans, selling our top player's in our side is what makes our model and club so attractive to the best young talent. Until we're at a point where we are competing regularly in the latter stages of the CL we need to keep demonstrating that Leicester is the place where top players with potential come to realise their dreams of joining Europe's elite. The moment we are seen to be hindering that cycle is the point at which we no longer become the team that every youngster with ability wants to play for.

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 1