Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Newcastle 2-4 Post Match Thread

Just watched the highlights on MOTD again and the comically high line still surprised me, even though I watched the game and have seen the highlights several times already. It reminded me of playing in goal for a 6-a-side team and constantly shouting 'WHO'S LAST MAN?!' in disbelief as all the outfield players mindlessly advanced up the pitch without any awareness of where they are standing or what is around them. It's amateur stuff that a bunch of teenagers playing in the park would be embarrassed about. Defenders ambling forward, further and further away from a goalkeeper who is for some reason stuck in his area, so that that there is such an absurd amount of space between them that any ball in between or over them is certain to result in a shot on goal for anybody who can beat Soyuncu in a footrace, which presumably is everybody. Are we really at the point where if Jonny Evans doesn't play, nobody knows the very basics of defending?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Apropos of nothing relevant to the sh1tsh0w of Friday, I eventually forced myself to watch the post 0-4 remnant of the game (I'd switched off - in anticipation of further ignominy) on MotD Sunday.

I thought Albrighton's goal was magnificent. They showed it from behind and you could clearly see it spin away from the keeper - both upwards and outwards. Beautiful technique. 

24 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I'm still pretty much seething from this. The lads needs to really prove themselves tomorrow to avoid the title of "bottlers" being bestowed on them. 

Me too - Time for the players to really stand up and be counted. 

Huge week and if they're not up for the next 4 games then there has to be serious questions asked of both players and management 

• Like 1

Geordie still in peace. Not on the wind up, I promise.

Bad performance from your lot, Soyuncu(sp?) especially. Kamikaze high line exploited time and again by our forwards. Thoguth you handled ASM well, but Wilson's strengh and movement seemed to challenge your back line. Was Castagne out of position, he looked unsure of himself. That said and for all we were 4-0 up at one point, we never looked in control of the game and if you're on twitter you'll have seen Newcastle fans fairly terrified that we'd throw it away. Sure enough when the first and second Leicester goals went in I was all but convinced that you'd pull off a huge comeback. Perez' shot goes in and you'd have drawn the game, of that I'm sure. 

That result got us safe, Fulham were never going to win 4 in a row and if we'd lost on Friday, I'd have expected us to need to go to Fulham to get something on the last day.

I really do hope you get CL football, not just because I think you have some good players and play some nice stuff, but also to stick it to the ESL knackers.

I'd swap places with you in a heartbeat; good players, good manager, supportive owner with ambition to grow the club on and off the pitch. We've got a thin-skinned narcissist, managing decent players for an owner who sees no value in finishing higher than 17th every season.

3 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Bad performance from your lot, Soyuncu(sp?) especially. Kamikaze high line exploited time and again by our forwards. Thoguth you handled ASM well, but Wilson's strengh and movement seemed to challenge your back line. Was Castagne out of position, he looked unsure of himself. That said and for all we were 4-0 up at one point, we never looked in control of the game and if you're on twitter you'll have seen Newcastle fans fairly terrified that we'd throw it away. Sure enough when the first and second Leicester goals went in I was all but convinced that you'd pull off a huge comeback. Perez' shot goes in and you'd have drawn the game, of that I'm sure. 

That result got us safe, Fulham were never going to win 4 in a row and if we'd lost on Friday, I'd have expected us to need to go to Fulham to get something on the last day.

I really do hope you get CL football, not just because I think you have some good players and play some nice stuff, but also to stick it to the ESL knackers.

I'd swap places with you in a heartbeat; good players, good manager, supportive owner with ambition to grow the club on and off the pitch. We've got a thin-skinned narcissist, managing decent players for an owner who sees no value in finishing higher than 17th every season.

Fennel and a dartboard eh?

9 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Fennel and a dartboard eh?

Yup, called that one wrong. Although we didn't play as badly as we did against Arsenal, to be fair.

Make no mistake though, we'll be among the favourites to go down every season until Bruce and/or Ashley leaves the club. Whoever is in charge when survival is assured will have met the owner's target, whether he gets us 7th or 17th. 'Surviving' is a pretty depressing target when, for the majority of my life, the club was reaching for the stars. Even our manager is getting in on the "unrealistic expectations" shtick. We don't expect world class players, European football or tilts at the title, we just want Newcastle United to be the best possible version of itself. 

9 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Yes just at the time we didn't want it. Bad mistakes individually and collectively. Yeah Castagne never seen him at CB before. 5 at the back forces us to play a high line with wing backs having to provide the width and one CB having to go forward. We often have 70% possession by playing a high line on the half way line and passing it from one side to the other, we create nothing and when the opponents get in our half they score. We don't seem to learn.

There were warnings before you scored. We didn't alter anything when it was obviously going wrong. We got what we deserved and hopefully we will learn.

I'm really hoping for a top 4 finish but I think we've thrown it away.

Yeah I've watched your problems You've always had genuine supporters who deserve better.

All the best.

• Like 1