Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Newcastle 2-4 Post Match Thread

9 hours ago, Fktf said:

Congrats mate. Hope it all goes OK whenever the time comes. First one?

Thanks mate.  It will be first one- nice to be able to contextualise the loss a bit in grand scheme of life.  Still hurts a bit although! 

20 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I could do with a pick me up today. Come on Sheff Wed or Rotherham and send the rams to league 1 this afternoon. 

If that happens I was told the other day that Derby will go into receivership(correct word?) Rooney gone no matter what division. They're in a mess and no word of a lie could be the next Bury. Search Mel Morris on company House... its a shambles

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

How do you explain changes to formation during a game e.g 15 minutes, 30 minutes, half-time, 60 minutes, 80 minutes at any point during the game we can shift. 

There is no set time limit on changes to formation and shape, we've proved they can happen instantly during a game, so why can it not happen 5 minutes before?

Its a fair point, but I would expect sticking to the game plan discussed throughout the week would have been preferred rather than switching to an alternate formation so impromptu.  :dunno:

Just now, Paddy. said:

Oh, and just a side note, I wish Sky would stop showing the 'most goals in the last 15 minutes' stat and talking about it as though it shows great resilience. Scoring consolation goals late on in games you've not turned up for does not show resilience. 

I think we all say the same thing when that pops up ......late goals in games that earn a point or more would be relevant .....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Remember when Wilf was a make shift CB? I am wondering if we may see this again  :(

That would have made more sense than Castagne at CB tbh. We really missed his energetic runs down the wing yesterday.

Mendy is also a decent player in this 3atb system and takes the pressure off Tielemans to link the play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its a fair point, but I would expect sticking to the game plan discussed throughout the week would have been preferred rather than switching to an alternate formation so impromptu.  :dunno:

And that's what exactly happened!!

Of course you're right, that's the safest and most sensible option, no doubt.

However, we saw what happened because of the safe option being taken. 

Hindsight and all that, I get it, but that squad is strong and adaptable. 

Evans is the lynchpin of that back 3 and Soyuncu has history of iffiness in a back 3, Fofana is learning. 

The more I look at it, it was a risk I wish we had have taken in switching to a back 4 with 5 minutes to kick off.

We all knew Evan's was a concern, so do we assume the contingency was to remain with the back 3 if he wasn't fit?, I doubt that was the only option discussed or prepared during training. 

As you say, we should have been better prepared, but I'm confident we were prepared, Brenno just didn't take the sensible risk. 

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

That would have made more sense than Castagne at CB tbh. We really missed his energetic runs down the wing yesterday.

Mendy is also a decent player in this 3atb system and takes the pressure off Tielemans to link the play.

Can’t understand why rather than take wilf off, he didn’t drop wilf into the back three and move Timmy to the left and Marc to the right. Take Ricky off instead of wilf to get Perez on. Ricky was going to come off anyway.  

Just now, Danny Clender said:

And that's what exactly happened!!

Of course you're right, that's the safest and most sensible option, no doubt.

However, we saw what happened because of the safe option being taken. 

Hindsight and all that, I get it, but that squad is strong and adaptable. 

Evans is the lynchpin of that back 3 and Soyuncu has history of iffiness in a back 3, Fofana is learning. 

The more I look at it, it was a risk I wish we had have taken in switching to a back 4 with 5 minutes to kick off.

We all knew Evan's was a concern, so do we assume the contingency was to remain with the back 3 if he wasn't fit?, I doubt that was the only option discussed or prepared during training. 

As you say, we should have been better prepared, but I'm confident we were prepared, Brenno just didn't take the sensible risk. 

If he was so set on 352, he should have dropped Wilf back and pushed Mendy into Wilf's spot really.

• Like 2

Calmed down a bit (accepted missing out on CL again)

Suppose its over to the chasers now, let's see how much damage last night really did.

Personally I don't see how having a meltdown at this point of the season is anything but bad news.

I have a solution: let's stop playing on Fridays! :D 

That sucked more than a vacuum cleaner - and how we'll get enough points from here on out I don't know.  Let's hope we have a good reaction in the next game, and manage to hang on to the top four!

(PLEAZE!!!! :fc:)

21 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

They’ll have been well drilled in different formations. We’ve seen them change formation mid-game so changing with 15mins to KO shouldn’t have been a huge issue. Not ideal obviously. 

• Like 1

I've woken up this morning still not believing what I saw last night. In some ways it was even more worrying than that Bournemouth defeat last season. That was down to horrendous individual mistakes on the whole. Yesterday the whole structure of the team fell apart.