Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Newcastle 2-4 Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..we are not doing this to accommodate Fofana!!!

It is at the moment the best opportunity Rodgers sees to get the best out of the team, as at present we only have one winger available. 

We could go to a back four against United with Thomas in the left back position, which would suit us more but with Evans out, you worry about the two Centre Backs as they are usually far too eager to step in to win the ball.

It clearly isn’t getting the best out of the team though is it. We’ve been setting up too negative for far too many games now, I’d rather see Perez and albrighton on the wings and go 4-4-2 than ever see a back 5 again 

Guys seriously. This league is so good because anything can happen! 

Man City got drubbed 5-0 the other night.  

We've got a big game coming up next weekend! And the run in actually suits us.

Teams in the last few weeks have come to camp, quite literally. They've done 'a Leicester' on us. Set up to defend and frustrate us. 

The remaining teams won't play that way, we know our lads love a game against the big 6. Mentally, we are probably shattered, physically it's been a very long season! But I can see us going into the last few with a seige mentality and smashing it.

Subconsciously the lads are probably saving a bit for that run in! Not ideal, but I think it's most definitely something that would play/ cross my mind if it were me. Got to save myself for these huge games coming up. 

It's still in our hands. Here's to a trophy in the cabinet and Champs League football secured by the end of May! :bounce:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t believe we’ve done this two years in a row still. It’s absolutely knocked me for 6, I think if anything I think I feel worse than last year. The hardest thing for me is wanting answers as to why it’s happened, so I can rationalise it, but seemingly it’s inexplicable. 

3 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Guys seriously. This league is so good because anything can happen! 

Man City got drubbed 5-0 the other night.  

We've got a big game coming up next weekend! And the run in actually suits us.

Teams in the last few weeks have come to camp, quite literally. They've done 'a Leicester' on us. Set up to defend and frustrate us. 

The remaining teams won't play that way, we know our lads love a game against the big 6. Mentally, we are probably shattered, physically it's been a very long season! But I can see us going into the last few with a seige mentality and smashing it.

Subconsciously the lads are probably saving a bit for that run in! Not ideal, but I think it's most definitely something that would play/ cross my mind if it were me. Got to save myself for these huge games coming up. 

It's still in our hands. Here's to a trophy in the cabinet and Champs League football secured by the end of May! :bounce:

Huh?

• Thanks 1

Did Chelsea not lose 2-5 at home to WBA?   This is a strange league which is why it has so much appeal.  Yes - it was very very poor last night.

So we have 4 Cup-finals now.  We all need to pull together.  Felt so sorry for Top.

May be some results elsewhere go for us today?

There is a real lack of aggression in this team.

We've got one nasty bastard type and he's stuck in goal. If Schmeichel was allowed outfield he'd shake things up a bit.

Even Vardy has lot his edge.

• Like 1

Just now, Corky said:

We've got one nasty bastard type and he's stuck in goal. If Schmeichel was allowed outfield he'd shake things up a bit.

It’s almost as if bemoaning the lack of aggression in post match interviews isn’t enough. 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Absolutely frustrating thing is we had chances again. Fofana should score at 0-1, that changes the game. Even at 0-2 and 0-3, we've had chances to score. 

We have created lots of chances in recent weeks, but our composure is shot to bits. Everything is going straight at the keeper, which is a sign of nerves.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I still feel totally shell shocked after that. I’m normally someone who gets quite frustrated directly after a match but have got pretty good at brushing it away. Last night was just too much to brush away this morning.

It was such a shockingly inept performance, even by our ‘bottler’ standards. I get the disruption than Evans being missing caused, but that’s not an excuse for the likes of Tielemans and Ndidi, normally so reliable, to look a million miles off the pace. So much for the full weeks rest.

Is it purely a weak mentality? Is it poor fitness come the end of the season? Has something else happened this week to distract them?

Rodgers spoke about mistakes and concentration, but tactically it was baffling as well. To play such a high line against Newcastle was incredibly naive, especially when you could see after a few minutes that our heads weren’t right. Has he not seen Newcastle play over the last few weeks?

He stuck with a back three, even after HT and then brought in the game changers that are Mendy and Thomas. Insanity.

Other than calling for more aggression, Rodgers rarely seems to have the tactical answers to break down a low block. That’s was the case last season and is arguably more so this season.

I just can’t believe it’s happening again. I’ve felt more comfortable this time round, mainly on the basis that surely, SURELY they are going to do this to us two seasons running. Surely we’ll find a way through this time, but no, it looks like heartbreak at the end yet again.

I agree, but the worry sign last night and the Southampton game is the complete lack of tactical skill. To play a team near the bottom of the table for 80 minutes against 10 men and can't score a few goals is a major concern and last nights performance we were outplayed. Newcastle struggling at the bottom were in my opinion technically better and and had the perfect game plan, something we have not had for the last two games. Why doesn't Rogers try something different when things are not going to plan. Why not try Under I know he's a bit hit and miss, but he just might have produced a bit of magic, or even won a penalty. The neat accurate passing has gone so has the intensity and even if we did make the Champ league it could be embarrassing . However the only positive outcome is that none of the supreme six clubs will want any of our players.   

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well, if people are convinced that 352 is the cause of our ills, then we have little choice but to play a diamond?

Smikes 

Ricky Fofana Cags. Luke/Timmy

Wilf

Youri.  Praet

Ayoze/Madders

Kel.  Vardy 

Zero width.

We have zero width whatever the formation, with Barnes out and Under not to be trusted.

48 minutes ago, Manini said:

Can’t believe we’ve done this two years in a row still. It’s absolutely knocked me for 6, I think if anything I think I feel worse than last year. The hardest thing for me is wanting answers as to why it’s happened, so I can rationalise it, but seemingly it’s inexplicable. 

I think it's pretty explicable.

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

Schmeichel is vociferously aggressive but he isn't when it comes to some of his decision making.

Any ball into the box that's within 5 or 6 yards of the line a keeper has to be aggressive and try and claim it. Their corner for the 2nd goal he was rooted to his line instead of been on 6yard line contesting for the ball. Even if he misses the ball if there is any contact with the keeper in the modern game  99% of the time keepers get awarded a free kick.

For their 3rd goal again I feel he could have been more assertive...He had plenty of time to see the long ball over the top was going to cause Castagne a problem and he could have been acting like a sweeper keeper as many of the other top keepers do .....Not blaming Kasper for the defeat but think he could have done more with a couple of their  goals if he was more aggressive

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I am at a loss as too why people expected us to change from 352 due to Evans injury 5 minutes before kick off. It’s madness and totally unrealistic, and just reeks of pantie wetting, it was never ever ever ever going to happen. lol

There is a case to say you should have been prepared for the Jonny injury, he has been carrying a knock, but that’s a different question.

It also brings up the worry I mentioned last week about this formation backing us into a bit of corner. I don't think we had the personal to switch around last night should we lose a player like we did without making wholesale changes to the line up. I think the only thing we could have done is go to a back 4, bring Albrighton or Thomas in, push and play Vardy on the wing in a 433 or 4231, which wouldn't have been ideal.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. bringing in Soumare next season will change all that!!!

Wilf will get to do his thing as the defensive midfielder and Youri will be released as Soumare will cover every else in the middle of the park, a bit of steel. 

He's only coming if we get the Champions League

16 minutes ago, Ricey said:

We have created lots of chances in recent weeks, but our composure is shot to bits. Everything is going straight at the keeper, which is a sign of nerves.

Agree with this. The stats for the last couple of games look brilliant on paper but most of the shots were from distance and lacked real confidence or getting in between the lines. No question that we look nervy and we looked as if we were going through the motions until the last 10 minutes just like the Hammers game .The only good thing is that expectations will have dropped and we can play better away from home but it looks a huge ask against United and Chelsea.