Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Newcastle 2-4 Post Match Thread

Keep trying to remind myself what a wonderful position we are in and to be happy we are in and fighting for champions League. Bloody hard work at the minute though, I am mentally exhausted from the last few games! We roll on though, and hopefully when we are back in the stadium on the final game we can make a right old racket and push them over the line! 

Edited by lcfc81
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I worry about this too - on one hand I want a top 4 finish- as it would help recruitment and be fun... on the other hand we will be stretched.

I think it’s crucial we achieve CL this season or I can see a slow and steady dismantling of our team. I think it is THAT important to us. I also think it keeps BR at the club. I see failure now as literally the beginning of the end of this great adventure. 

But then I’ve always been a miserable sod. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Very poor indeed, but, some of the posters reactions are even worse. Shame on them too.

I'm disappointed with every single person that isnt raging at that result and performance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

This isn't about formation - it's much deeper than that. The panic wasn't obvious when they walked on without Evans, but they looked unsure - a kind of nervous half smiling on some faces. I think Rodgers, behind the apparent calm, is haunted by past failures and that might be something the players are picking up at a subliminal level.

We have very talented players but we all know that confidence has to be at high levels for that talent/skill to be translated into dominance.

Maybe Rodgers is too nice, too understanding and too forgiving. These guys are mostly young and I don't see a steadying influence where it needs to be - in midfield. Maddison is too far up his own fundament to lead by example. He treats the game as a showpiece for his (undoubted) ability. Whenever I think back to the truly great teams there's a calm figure leading by example and command - you remember them for that quality. I suspect that the players are looking for that on-field leader and he's not there. Schmeichel cannot do that job stuck where he is. Evans does it in defence.

The thing is that it's mounting pressure and every time they let it get to them it freezes them even more deeply. When I saw Evans limping I thought "bugger" (or maybe something more descriptive).

I think Rodgers needs to forget about winning and just pick those players who won't freeze in the headlights. Sounds daft, even to me, but, unless he does something radical, we'll get dragged under by nerves. We've got a little bit further than last year, yet the hesitancy has crept in again.

....getting ourselves over the line has not been easy and we have to tough it out to get there!!!

Getting the points on the board early is what stops this situation from arising and I can not at the moment see a way to overcome this malaise affecting our team when there is a need to close out the season.

We start off slow and only when all seems about gone, we inject urgency and spirit and look as if we can claw ourselves back and save the game. Where is this urgency at the start of the game, it is as if we need to be in a situation where there is no coming back for us, in order to relax and forget the occasion. Suddenly we start to play for each other, cover for each other and make the run and win the tackles that keeps us on the front foot and making the opposition concerned. It is a mental issue, it has to be, it is fear but where has it come from, why are we so cowered by the occasion that we fail to see each other, communicate with each other, lacking any notion of what to do and how to go about doing it.

This propensity to go into our shell, has happened so often now, that it should have been understood and combatted, before the team sets foot on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

A couple of things I really dont get

The preparations for this game would have revolved around a three man defence with Castagne and Pereira out wide. In what universe does Albrighton (a utility wide midfield/defender) replace the brain and heartbeat of our back 3? Was Rodgers trying to be too clever - trying to use the injury to surprise the opposition with a change of tactics for which his own team was understandably ill-prepared? Neither Fuchs or Albrighton are perfect replacements for Evans but surely they are better options and in line with the tactics envisaged for this game..And given the last minute timing of the change for a must-win game, simply the best option.

Maddison, Praet, Perez. Why is he persisting with an obviously unfit Maddison when Perez regularly creates energy and buzz in the area around the box which is so clearly lacking? And where is Praet? Creative, fit, experienced and a good calming influence just sitting on the bench week after week. Under’s been cold shouldered, The squad, in the mind of BR seems to consist of no more than about 14 players...

Good points, particularly with Under. If Rodgers has absolutely no intention of playing him, no matter what the circumstances, why waste a place on the bench?  Better to have someone from the U23s who might have a future at the club and might even be given an opportunity on the pitch, for example if we found ourselves 4-0 up with only 15 mins 6o go ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... cannot at the moment see a way to overcome this malaise affecting our team when there is a need to close out the season.

We start off slow and only when all seems about gone, we inject urgency and spirit and look as if we can claw ourselves back and save the game. Where is this urgency at the start of the game, it is as if we need to be in a situation where there is no coming back for us, in order to relax and forget the occasion. Suddenly we start to play for each other, cover for each other and make the run and win the tackles that keeps us on the front foot and making the opposition concerned. It is a mental issue, it has to be, it is fear but where has it come from, why are we so cowed by the occasion that we fail to see each other, communicate with each other, lacking any notion of what to do and how to go about doing it.

This propensity to go into our shell, has happened so often now, that it should have been understood and combatted, before the team sets foot on the pitch.

Yes. What stops them from going out and being aggressive from the off? Is it something about Rodgers - some unconscious message about not losing, rather than winning. You're right - there's enough knowledge about the psychology of winning and all the attributes that go with winning, to dispel any doubts about winning. I don't get it either, but it is a form of mass panic. Something or somebody is sowing doubt. Perhaps it's the ghost of the season past and the fear that it will happen again.

I've sensed it recently and saw it last season - the team aren't galvanised - nor are they a team because a team acts in concert. This is disparate individuals wandering into a game and finding themselves a goal down - often due to the same sloppiness. It's hugely frustrating from the fans' pov, but the players must be frantic about how to stem this rot.

He needs to shake up the formation - what's needed now is strong minds in the dressing-room, but I don't see how tha can be achieved at this point in the season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I think it’s crucial we achieve CL this season or I can see a slow and steady dismantling of our team. I think it is THAT important to us. I also think it keeps BR at the club. I see failure now as literally the beginning of the end of this great adventure. 

But then I’ve always been a miserable sod. 

I think you're right. 

Liverpool bottled the title under BR. We look like we’re going to fold again. Celtic, well, he didn’t bottle that but would have struggled to. 

I genuinely think this is something in Rodgers translating to the team. Our slow, cautious starts to games is weird. I also think his reaction to the WBA game was wrong and sent the wrong message entirely. He could and should have handled that better. 

5 hours ago, deep blue said:

Good points, particularly with Under. If Rodgers has absolutely no intention of playing him, no matter what the circumstances, why waste a place on the bench?  Better to have someone from the U23s who might have a future at the club and might even be given an opportunity on the pitch, for example if we found ourselves 4-0 up with only 15 mins 6o go ...

Absolutely agree. This is really stubborn behaviour from BR. He may have a problem with the Under even the personal one but as a football manager, you must use every available resources for the greater good.

Cengo is not a bad player he could have contributed more but he hasnt received a fair go considering the amount of chances the Perez has received. 

A devastating loss..

Really upset.

Watched this game back today (**** knows why). We started well and than, dare I say, got over confident and lost our intensity. I can’t forgive them this year. There is an ego problem. They’ve really let themselves down yesterday. Ah well, whose next for the big move. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/05/2021 at 05:07, Number 6 said:

Absolutely NOBODY comes out of that with any positive spin. Shambles all over the pitch and from the management. Stop worrying about what the opposition might do and impose ourselves on the game FFS.

Will sit in a fog all weekend but top 4 isn't over yet. Was always going to be a battle. Time to turn up against the big boys of we want to seriously compete with them on a regular basis.

Don’t blame management. They did a fantastic job. We are hear because we / Rodgers bottling it again. We cannot beat 10 man Southampton and lost to Newcastle, when we should have stronger desire and much more to play for! Let’s think about that first. This is about grit and desire. Against Newcastle, we were shaky at the back and it was so obvious after 10-15 mins. After their first goal, it was almost criminal that Rodgers didn’t change formation (and ask the CBs to play a bit deeper). We lost because of tactics and formation.

I watched the highlights too twice last nite in the hope that maybe its me going crazy and I'm missing something some rationale as to why our team folded like we did. It all started with Evans not playing but if thats the reason than bloody hell we are buggered. Speaking of he should never have been allowed to play for NI. All those injuries he's picked up on international duty has not helped our cause and for what? They didn't even qualify fit they? As for cags you'd think if he was nervous he Ould have booted that ball into the rafters nit attempt a slow Cruyff turn. He wasn't tuned in or focused is what it was. He was careless and it was a lazy attempt and foolish when a striker was in a dangerous position. Everything after that was a catalogue of disaster. Everyone is right on here, Brendan saw all that and should have been alarmed as he's seen it before. Did he think the team would magically pull themselves out of this? The mistakes were everywhere. why does it have to come to being several goals down to start panicking? It's time someone really asked Rogers some hard questions and stop being so polite with him. We are going to blow this again flippin do something anything!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Eskay said:

I see vardys put up an apology on his Instagram. Wish a few more would follow suit. 

He’s not the one who should be apologising. He’s been an outstanding servant to this football club and gives his all week in week out. He’s miles off the player he was a few weeks ago, but you know he’s Leicester through and through so you can look past his shortcomings at the moment.

Others on the other hand (not sure this forum will struggle to guess who) need to seriously start earning their money. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Might be unusual, might be purely due to Maddison being unfit/off, but we looked so much better when Ayoze came on, sigh.

2 seasons in a row now when things started sliding fingers are getting pointed at Maddison for not showing up. Cream rises to the top when it counts and he's curdling. :thumbdown:

14 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I watched the highlights too twice last nite in the hope that maybe its me going crazy and I'm missing something some rationale as to why our team folded like we did. It all started with Evans not playing but if thats the reason than bloody hell we are buggered. Speaking of he should never have been allowed to play for NI. All those injuries he's picked up on international duty has not helped our cause and for what? They didn't even qualify fit they? As for cags you'd think if he was nervous he Ould have booted that ball into the rafters nit attempt a slow Cruyff turn. He wasn't tuned in or focused is what it was. He was careless and it was a lazy attempt and foolish when a striker was in a dangerous position. Everything after that was a catalogue of disaster. Everyone is right on here, Brendan saw all that and should have been alarmed as he's seen it before. Did he think the team would magically pull themselves out of this? The mistakes were everywhere. why does it have to come to being several goals down to start panicking? It's time someone really asked Rogers some hard questions and stop being so polite with him. We are going to blow this again flippin do something anything!

Soyuncu has recieved the ball and nobody has shouted man on. Now you could argue he should be aware of his surroundings, I remember as a kid being taught to shout man on if the player recieving the ball has a player within close distance of them though. You could see him complaining that he never got the shout. Either way, he never looks as comfortable in a 3 as he does in a 2.

On the Rodgers thing, I'm in total agreement. I can't tell if it's an ego thing or if he's so dumb he can't see the formation/tactics not working. I can't imagine you get to where he has by being dumb, so I think it's his ego and stubborness to play his way, regardless of how horrifically it's going. Playing Perez up top 3 times when 20 minutes was enough to see he wasn't up to the task is another example.  He decided early on that he didn't fancy Cengiz, despite him having a positive impact a couple of times. Weirdly, he seems most likely to make changes when things are going well lol

I don't think he's particularly got us punching above our weight, we're fortunate to have a very good squad of underpaid players, thanks to our incredible work in the background. If he fails to pick up enough points to finish in the top 4 and we flop in the final I wouldn't be gutted if he left, I'd fancy us to pick and even better manager next time.

If he pulls out some massive results to save the season from near disaster then he's earned his job. Right now I find it hard to believe he's going to get it right, but god I hope he does.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Soyuncu has recieved the ball and nobody has shouted man on. Now you could argue he should be aware of his surroundings, I remember as a kid being taught to shout man on if the player recieving the ball has a player within close distance of them though. You could see him complaining that he never got the shout. Either way, he never looks as comfortable in a 3 as he does in a 2.

On the Rodgers thing, I'm in total agreement. I can't tell if it's an ego thing or if he's so dumb he can't see the formation not working. I can't imagine you get to where he has by being dumb, so I think it's his ego and stubborness to play his way, regardless of how horrifically it's going. Playing Perez up top 3 times when 20 minutes was enough to see he wasn't up to to.  He decided early on that he didn't fancy Cengiz, despite him having a positive impact a couple of times. Weirdly, he seems most likely to make changes when things are going well lol

I don't think he's particularly got us punching above our weight, we're fortunate to have a very good squad of underpaid players, thanks to our incredible work in the background. If he fails to pick up enough points to finish in the top 4 and we flop in the final I wouldn't be gutted if he left, I'd fancy us to pick and even better manager next time.

If he pulls out some massive results to save the season from near disaster then he's earned his job. Right now I find it hard to believe he's going to get it right, but god I hope he does.

I remember a time when I was fuming about Pearson's stubbornness. I think it is something a good manager needs, but sometimes it can make them look just plain stupid. I don't know what my point is. 

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

I remember a time when I was fuming about Pearson's stubbornness. I think it is something a good manager needs, but sometimes it can make them look just plain stupid. I don't know what my point is. 

Haha I think all managers probably have it to some degree. Pearson was terrible for it, hence why we went through really good patches or really bad patches. That change to the 5 3 2 was his best change of heart.

We're talking the very top echelons of football here though, is it acceptable to make the same rudimentary errors, over and over again? We need to hold the players and management to a higher standard I think. Rodgers is earning 200k a week. I think it's acceptable to expect him to get this squad looking comfortable and winning games comfortably against inferior opposition.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

He’s not the one who should be apologising. He’s been an outstanding servant to this football club and gives his all week in week out. He’s miles off the player he was a few weeks ago, but you know he’s Leicester through and through so you can look past his shortcomings at the moment.

Others on the other hand (not sure this forum will struggle to guess who) need to seriously start earning their money. 

Yep. And whilst not scoring recently he's been making the runs. Closing down from the front. And assisting. He reminds me of what Timo Werner is at the moment ......I actually am a big fan of Werner based on application alone. 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Watched this game back today (**** knows why). We started well and than, dare I say, got over confident and lost our intensity. I can’t forgive them this year. There is an ego problem. They’ve really let themselves down yesterday. Ah well, whose next for the big move. 

Fair play for sitting through that a second time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

😂 Yeah, that is weird, don’t see why anyone would do that to themselves, just punishment... it was embarrassing. The only ones who should be doing that are the players, just to point out how sh*t they truly were.

Edited by foxes_rule1978

10 hours ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

I'm still confused and almost lost for words as to why BR didn't change to a back 4 after the first goal. Everyone could see it wasn't working. The shape was all over the place and players were out of position. 

If we go to a back 4 we don't have the players available to make the midfield work properly. Also Fofana and Soyuncu were a bomb scare.

Granted, the midfield was not working properly anyway, but switching to a back 4 would have compounded the problem.

I agree with Rodgers, it wasn't a flaw in the system that caused us to lose, it was the players playing shite across the board. Back 3 or back 4, Soyuncu was having a nightmare, our wingbacks were completely ineffective, Nididi couldn't pass 5 metres, Maddison was miles off the pace, Vardy was labouring, and Nachoman was not getting any service. Still, taking one player off the back 3, Richardo swaps in at left back, who the hell plays left wing? Jamie Vardy? He's not played there since Pearson's time when Nugent was playing ahead of our Jamie.

Our biggest failing this season has been a lack of squad depth. With the pace of JJ and Barnes sucked out of the team, and Ricardo coming back from a 9 month injury, we just haven't had the quantity of quality players to sustain what has probably been our most intensive season ever; Compressed season due to covid, no fans in the ground, gone deep in both domestic cups, playing into the new year in Europe, and pushing for a top 4 finish for 35 matches so far. There has been no let up, we didn't strengthen in January, and we have been riddled with long term injuries to key players.

Edited by jim5000
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

42 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

😂 Yeah, that is weird, don’t see why anyone would do that to themselves, just punishment... it was embarrassing. The only ones who should be doing that are the players, just to point out how sh*t they truly were.

It wasn’t easy and it is weird! I don’t know why but losing yesterday really pissed me off so I had it on sky demand and pressed play. We were worst then I thought. There was literally no desire.