Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guy

Claude Puel and the recruitment in 2018

28 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Agree with a lot of it, but there is some revisionism. The early stages were not tedious and boring, we started off really well under CP as a team we reacted well to what he was trying to do and blew teams away whilst dominating possession. That Southampton game we were scintillating and that was after 10 games. Everyone was buying into Puel-ball as an exciting dynamic brand of attacking possession football, but he kept dragging us further away down the route of possession for possession's sake. He alienated established players and tried to turn Gray into a striker, he found a great balance early on but lost it very quickly.

Can't argue with that - we definitely were much better initially, but then when it started to tail off he had no way of pulling us out of the slump, and at that point he was always going to struggle to win back favour.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

A toxic man and an awful manager. Putting aside that we know that the coaches at the club have minimum input to the recruitment policy at the club, any "good" you do at a institution or company is immediately outweighed by how you treat human beings and inspire (in this case alienate) the collective. The fact is Puel was despised by the people who work under him whom he treated like shit including a club legend who would go onto win the Golden Boot a year later. Can't believe some posters are still defending this cretin after we know what we know now.

So you'd rather be back in the Championship?! 

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing and I still think he’s a crap manager and stop us competing for the top 6 why he was here. The 5-0 lost at palace still lives in the memory. Winning 2-0 at Brighton under him and I felt embarrassed to have won the game because we were that poor. The treatment of Jamie Vardy will always be a big F U Claude for me. The people saying he got the best out of gray !!!! What gray was this please ?!! After mahrez left he never ever knuckled down and made the spot his own. Claude gets no credit for me and I’d give Pearson the most credit out the former managers for that cup win yesterday. 

He dropped Vardy for just that one game towards the end of his tenure didn't he? - hardly grounds for a sacking IMO even if Palace gave us the tradiotional roasting under Puel as his final game that February 2019. Also to end the 2017-18 season at Spurs (5-4) in the exciting way we did (both teams going for it) was great viewing.. I know the pressure was off and we had finished top 10 by then anyway I think but even so it was far from a boring game of football! 

1 minute ago, Guy said:

He dropped Vardy for just that one game towards the end of his tenure didn't he? - hardly grounds for a sacking IMO even if Palace gave us the tradiotional roasting under Puel as his final game that February 2019. Also to end the 2017-18 season at Spurs (5-4) in the exciting way we did (both teams going for it) was great viewing.. I know the pressure was off and we had finished top 10 by then anyway I think but even so it was far from a boring game of football! 

Yes you’re right, the football under puel was exciting looking back !!! Come off it, I use to hate going back when he was in charge. Felt more like going work then going football. Vardy hated him,the players hated him, the staff hated him, the fans hated him. Geoff has told us a million times.

• Like 1

personally i believe that it was not so much the fact that he broke up the gang of 2016, but the way he went about it that angered the players. we constantly hear about the family that the owners have created here, not just the players but the backroom staff and everyone involved, but he just didnt fit into that.

Nothing lasts forever, and many of the title winning squad would have had to have been moved on eventually, but there are ways of doing things that he seemed to not grasp. From what i have heard, and has been intimated by the likes King etc, there was no personal touch, no taking a player to one side and explaining that they might be better served looking for another club, even helping them to find one, just a cold shoulder and left out. And once out, seemingly forgotten, a sense of well you are the past and not the future so i don't give a damn about you.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Daggers said:

Hmm - but still, £40M on a single player?

For the same cash we could have bought 193 Barry Hayles.

The real million pound question - would you rather have 193 regular, 5 foot 9 Barry Hayles'es'es, or one giant, 1,109 foot 9 super-Barryzilla for the same price? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

The real million pound question - would you rather have 193 regular, 5 foot 9 Barry Hayles'es'es, or one giant, 1,109 foot 9 super-Barryzilla for the same price? :ph34r:

A team of Barry Hayles - one for every month of the year with spares for B team competitions. No sane person could knock that back. It's the ultimate dream.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Yes you’re right, the football under puel was exciting looking back !!! Come off it, I use to hate going back when he was in charge. Felt more like going work then going football. Vardy hated him,the players hated him, the staff hated him, the fans hated him. Geoff has told us a million times.

I didn't say it was exciting all of the time - but sometimes it really was when it worked. Sadly as I said before, a lot of the time it flattered to deceive so your comparing it to going to work was in a way understandable in a way!

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

personally i believe that it was not so much the fact that he broke up the gang of 2016, but the way he went about it that angered the players. we constantly hear about the family that the owners have created here, not just the players but the backroom staff and everyone involved, but he just didnt fit into that.

Nothing lasts forever, and many of the title winning squad would have had to have been moved on eventually, but there are ways of doing things that he seemed to not grasp. From what i have heard, and has been intimated by the likes King etc, there was no personal touch, no taking a player to one side and explaining that they might be better served looking for another club, even helping them to find one, just a cold shoulder and left out. And once out, seemingly forgotten, a sense of well you are the past and not the future so i don't give a damn about you.

Not forgetting that Mahrez went off and sulked by going on strike for Puel's time here too - and so was surely in breach of his contract by doing that! I thought Puel handled that well and indeed he was brought in to be equally ruthless in shipping out the deadwood and hangers on here that had gone down the pan from the title winning side (Ulloa, Simpson, King, etc) - or the players who then simply couldn't adapt to his new playing ways, as controversial as maybe they were. The helicopter crash tragedy. acrid fans, some players being resentful of him - the poor bloke had a lot to deal with IMO in his 18 months here and he was also probably disliked even more through his being a French man in England!!

Edited by Guy

2 minutes ago, Guy said:

Not forgetting that Mahrez went off and sulked by going on strike for Puel's time here too - and so was surely in breach of his contract by doing that! I thought Puel handled that well and indeed he was brought in to be equally ruthless in shipping out the deadwood and hangers on here that had gone down the pan from the title winning side or the players who then simply couldn't adapt to his new playing ways, as controversial as maybe they were. The helicopter crash tragedy. acrid fans, some players being resentful of him - the poor bloke had a lot to deal with IMO in his 18 months years here and he was also probably disliked even more through his being a French man in England!!

What else could he have done?

As for getting rid of the deadwood, all managers let players go, there's no secret to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

What else could he have done?

As for getting rid of the deadwood, all managers let players go, there's no secret to it.

Yes they do, but there are ways of doing these things, and i just think that he lacked the tact and diplomacy to it the right way