Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guy

Claude Puel and the recruitment in 2018

Got some good players in but always hard to know how much the manager does that these days.

He was the most boring manager we've ever had at this club though. At least when we were shit it was exciting! We were unwatchable for so many games and he definitely could have got so much more out of the players be had. Brendan has done just that.

• Like 4

I have always respected him for what he did and didn't join the majority to bash him. I agree that his time was well over before he got sacked but he was instrumental to out upturn. He did the recruitment and changed our playing style which no one before him did. Rodgers took over a good squad that needed good man management and tactical fine tuning. Puel alone or Rodgers alone were not the key to success, it was the combination between them. Fantastic few years for the club, long may it continue...

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Hmm - but still, £40M on a single player?

For the same cash we could have bought 193 Barry Hayles.

At least Ghezzal was a bargain, and a sound investment

1 hour ago, Koke said:

You just opened a can of worms by simply acknowledging Puel did one good thing. Good luck pal.

LOL! lol

Unfortunately, any good he did was offset by the Puel Gruel he served on the pitch.

You have to doff your hat to him for his eye in spotting talent. When he fought the St. Etienne board and told them to rebuff our advances because Fofana would go from a 30m player to 50m by the end of this season, I thought he was being unnecessarily petty but got to say he had it bang on! 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was one of the most staunch Puel outers on here but I was saying yesterday if you cannot see the work he did off the field and how Rodgers has benefitted from the work Puel did you are an ostrich.

He had to go and was here arguably far too long. he stunk the place out, the style of football was genuinely getting me down, it was disgusting but things he put in place did have a big part to play in moving us forward.

I remember a few people suggesting at the time he was bought in to do the dirty work and I think they were right.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Got some good players in but always hard to know how much the manager does that these days.

He was the most boring manager we've ever had at this club though. At least when we were shit it was exciting! We were unwatchable for so many games and he definitely could have got so much more out of the players be had. Brendan has done just that.

In fairness, Ricardo at least signed specifically because of Puel - he'd been given his big chance under him at Nice and it definitely played a big role in him signing for us. The same can be said for Ghezzal though, and we know how that turned out...

Even putting results aside, as you say he had us playing utterly abysmal football from an entertainment point of view, which certainly wouldn't have got us the global audience that the Thais craved. If we'd kept him on we'd have been solidly mid-table every season with nothing to be excited about, no real cup runs, just year after year of mediocrity. Some people have a voice you could fall asleep listening to; Puel's interviews were more like a voice you couldn't stay awake to even if you tried. Hopefully for the St Etienne fans' sake, he's not quite as dull in his native language...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

LOL! lol

Unfortunately, any good he did was offset by the Puel Gruel he served on the pitch.

You have to doff your hate for his eye in spotting talent. When he fought the St. Etienne board and told them to rebuff our advances because Fofana would go from a 30m player to 50m by the end of this season, I thought he was being unnecessarily petty but got to say he had it bang on! 

I read it that Puel played a shrewd business move by resisting the move for Fofana and then fabricating that west ham wanted him. He knew the right buttons to press in order to squeeze an extra 7/8m for his club. Fair play. 

For his many many faults (most of which revolved around his communication skills, ie lack of)  he turned around at absolute shambles that Shakespeare had curated and in double quick time, created a possession based, more tactically aware team. Albeit one that disliked and disrespected him. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I tend to agree. It's also worth noting that Rodgers would not have come to us after Shakespeare was sacked and not just because he hadn't been at Celtic for long at that time. 

And even if he did, it would have taken him much longer to implement his style. 

10 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

You have to doff your hate

nice Freudian slip!  lol

1 hour ago, Koke said:

You just opened a can of worms by simply acknowledging Puel did one good thing. Good luck pal.

calling @UpTheLeagueFox  ...

batsignal-min.gif.269c49f91709c5ebc1bf97310bd189e8.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ousefox said:

That much is true. He did some good while he was here but no one made me enjoy supporting Leicester less than him. Going to home games against mid-table/bottom-half teams felt pointless. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I read it that Puel played a shrewd business move by resisting the move for Fofana and then fabricating that west ham wanted him. He knew the right buttons to press in order to squeeze an extra 7/8m for his club. Fair play. 

For his many many faults (most of which revolved around his communication skills, ie lack of)  he turned around at absolute shambles that Shakespeare had curated and in double quick time, created a possession based, more tactically aware team. Albeit one that disliked and disrespected him. 

I wouldn't call Shakey's time at the club a shambles by any means.

We needed  that New Manager Bounce badly at the time. It fell apart for him with Spurs and Bournemouth at the very end of 16/17 but if Cl;audio was still there we could have ended up in turmoil.

Right to end it when we did but he served us well overall no doubt about it.

Claude's alright in my book too. Identified the defence needed sorting and we got Evans and Ricardo in.

As for Ghezzal and Benkovic well Pearson and Rodgers made a few less than stellar signings too don't forget.

• Like 1