Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMark

How would you set the team up?

I've been a member of this forum for ages and never really posted anything much (this may even be my first post, I can't remember). Anyway, I was interested to see what other people think. I'm not slating Levein, and I'm not asking anybody else to slate Levein. I am just interested to see what other people think of as our strongest combination of players and tactics.

Here's my thoughts:

I'd love to see the following given a go, but I doubt it'll ever happen:

-------------------Henderson

Maybury---McCarthy---Gerrbrand---Sheehan

-------------------Gudjonsson

-------Hughes--------------------Hammil

--------------------DeVries

----------Smith----------------Hume

Subs: Douglas, Johansson, Dublin, Williams, Hammond.

Yep, it's a 4-3-3. I think we've generally been defending well recently, so the defence is mostly the same as usual, except I've put a proper left back in the team. If Sheehan plays to his potential, then he is capable of holding a place in the first team imo. We seem to concentrate a bit too much on wing play, without ever actually getting enough people into the box to make use of the crosses. So, I've narrowed the midfield, dropped Sylla and Kisnorbo, and brought Hammil in. Hammil likes to run at players and I think he'd be okay being played slightly more centrally. Gudjonsson has probably been one of our best players this season, and Hughes is an obvious choice. Upfront, I've gone for three players. We have been struggling to score, so hopefully this would help. Whilst I realise that Smith is a winger. I'd love to see him further up the pitch and more central so that he could run at the opposition centre backs. Even if he isn't much of a finisher, I'd expect him to create plenty of chances. In this division, I think Smith could be really good if used in this way. Hume hasn't yet been given a fair chance, and DeVries could mostly be used to hold up the ball for the other two more technically gifted strikers. You may have noticed I have Henderson in goal. It's not that I think Rab's a bad keeper, okay, he's had a couple of bad games, but mostly he's been pretty decent. It's just that on the occasions I've seen Henderson play, he's looked like a very good keeper, and I can see why the Bradford fans rated him so highly. Note that my team is pretty versatile, and could easily switch to a standard 4-4-2 (with Smith dropping back to the right wing) should the need arise. But, given our decent defence and our lack of goals, whilst the 4-3-3 may be a little weaker defensively, I would hope to see an increase in goals to more than make up for this.

We also have some options all over the pitch: In goal, we could swap Henderson for Douglas, in central defence Johansson and Dublin tend to play well. Stearman is an option at right back. Williams and Tiatto could be good options for the midfield, and Hammond may yet come good in attack.

I don't rate Gilbert, Kisnorbo or Sylla, and there's no place for them in my team.

Essay over!

My team

----------------------------- Douglas

--------------- McCarthy Gerbrand Dublin

-Maybury------------------------------------------------Tiatto

----------------------------Gudjohnsson

-----------------Hughes-------------------Hammil

----------------------Hume-------------De Vries

Subs Henderson, Porter, Stearman, Johanson,Chambers

I agree Kisnorbo, Sylla & Hammond have failed to impress me, there would be no place for the forest lovin t##t Williams (Mardy Git) and the jurys still out on Johanson

Welcome to the forum (belatedly) SuperMark and fox4eva :thumbup:

I think at the moment, you've got more chance of picking the winning Lotto numbers than coming up with a formation that will put City on a winning streak. It's as if the team can't do everything at once - now we're not conceeding many, we can't score either.

This is my ideal XI for this week - it's based on the assuptions that players play to their potential, are 100% fit and actually play with some semblance of a team ethic. I've left out Smith as we're unlikely to see him past Xmas...

------------------ Henderson ---------------------

-------Maybury - McCarthy - Gerrbrand -------

--Stearman - Gudjonsson - Hughes - Sheehan

----------------Hume - Morris---------------------

------------------- De Vries -----------------------

i think all these different teams just goes to show how we can't all have what we want, it also shows that we don't have an obvious first 11. for example if you had to select the arsenal side everyone would pretty much have the same.

this uncertainty obviously lies with the manager aswell, he needs to choose his best 11, then work on it and keep it for a while.

I'm going to keep this short and quick.

Goal: Douglas.

Left back: Sheehan.

Centre, Gerrbrand, McCarthy.

Right back, Maybury.

Left Midfield, Smith.

Centre, Hughes, Gudjonssen.

Right midfield, Sylla.

Front, de Vries, Hume.

2 - 0.

3 points.

Up table.

Amazing, 3 people not picking smith, and opting for 3 CD`s, which is what ive been advocating for months now.

-------------------hederson

------macarthy--gerrbrand--johanson

stearman---maybury---tiatto---sheehan

---------elvis-------hume-----smith

OR

---------------------hughes

--------------hume----------smith

With a fully fit squad - by the new year, and relying on Smith extending his stay. We should also have at least one new striker in by January.

------------------ Henderson ---------------------

--Maybury - McCarthy - Gerrbrand - Sheehan

----Hughes - Gudjonsson - Wesolowski - Smith

---------------Hume

----------------------New Striker

I'm not sure whether it would work, i've ended up with that because i don't know who to play instead of Sylla! Weso has got the flair and can also track back. Gudjonsson is improving at getting forward so they could take it in turns while being pretty solid, that'll please Levein. Hughes hasn't quite performed whilst fit in the center of midfield either, Craig will need to have a word with Maybury and get him overlapping and making runs forward.

My preference is for us to play with width on both sides but Sylla has had enough chances to perform, what else have we got? Not Elvis.

Amazing, 3 people not picking smith, and opting for 3 CD`s, which is what ive been advocating for months now.

---------elvis-------hume-----smith

OR

---------------------hughes

--------------hume----------smith

Interesting Lush, maybury and tiatto in the midfield?? :blink::o

------------------------Douglas------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

---Maybury---McCarthy---Gerrbrand---Sheehan---

----------------------Gudjonsson----------------------

------Hammond----------------------Smith-----------

-------------------------Hughes------------------------

-----------------De Vries-------Hume-----------------

Bench: Henderson, Stearman, Johansson, Tiatto, Dublin

Sell: Kisnorbo, Williams, Sylla, Gilbert and Wilcox to make way for new players.

Hammil can come in for Smith when he leaves in December.

I'd go for the Diamond in midfield to tighten it up in the middle, have Smith and Hammond able to go down the flanks when possible - but also employ Maybury and Sheehan to overlap, when they do - drop Joey back into a three man defence alongside Paddy and Patrick. Have Hughes sit just at the top of the diamond so he can pace forward also - like he did against a few teams last season (Watford especially), then simply have De Vries and Hume up front until more attacking options become available. Feed to their feet rather than their heads, have De Vries get into a dangerous position in the box - and have Hume drop back and use his running and dribbling ability to help Hughes, that creates in effect a 7 man attack along with what was previously mentioned. It's an idea anyways.

------------------------Douglas------------------------

---Maybury---McCarthy---Gerrbrand---Sheehan---

----------------------Gudjonsson----------------------

------Hammond----------------------Smith-----------

-------------------------Hughes------------------------

-----------------De Vries-------Hume-----------------

Bench: Henderson, Stearman, Johansson, Tiatto, Dublin

Sell: Kisnorbo, Williams, Sylla, Gilbert and Wilcox to make way for new players.

Hammil can come in for Smith when he leaves in December.

I'd go for the Diamond in midfield to tighten it up in the middle, have Smith and Hammond able to go down the flanks when possible - but also employ Maybury and Sheehan to overlap, when they do - drop Joey back into a three man defence alongside Paddy and Patrick. Have Hughes sit just at the top of the diamond so he can pace forward also - like he did against a few teams last season (Watford especially), then simply have De Vries and Hume up front until more attacking options become available. Feed to their feet rather than their heads, have De Vries get into a dangerous position in the box - and have Hume drop back and use his running and dribbling ability to help Hughes, that creates in effect a 7 man attack along with what was previously mentioned. It's an idea anyways.

I quite like that formation and the players in there position. Good One :thumbup:

They can both hold, play full back and support the attack. Were certainly not in a poor position because our CM`s have performed...

I've always said if Tiatto is in the team he should be in the centre not out wide. He likes to be involved. He played there against Inter Milan in pre season and I thought he did okay.

I'm not sure about Maybury, but you've got a valid point about the CM's, would hurt to try it now would it.

In an ideal world:

Henderson

Maybury----McCarthy-----Gerrbrand------Sheehan

Sylla--------Hughes------New Midfielder------Smith

Hume-----New Striker

I have always felt we need a true leader in the centre of the park who will organise the midfield and protect the defence. Kisnorbo is not good enough, nor is Gudjonsson or Tiatto, who all fail to have the leadership or discipline required. People have suggested Wesolowski as the answer. I have not seen him play and so cannot include him or comment. I also think we need a new striker in. Possibly a new winger, though at the moment, I am happy to stick with Sylla who I feel has not been able to get forward because of the failure of the central midfield.

WIth the players we have got, I would either play 3-5-2 with a midfield trio of Hughes, Williams, Kisnorbo/Gudjonsson (similar to the Lennon [a tackler], Izzet [a runner], Parker [a passer] combination which proved an effective combo in mid-90s), or 4-4-2 as above with Tiatto in centre and De Vries upfront.

i must say there are some weird and interesting team selections goin around. Levein isn't going to be able to please everyone whatever team selection he makes.

at the end of the day, we don't give a shit about the selection as long as we pick up the points.

Archived