Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fazzer 7

Best Indian restaurant in or near Leicester

5 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Paddy's Marten Inn is the Indians Indian. 

Spice Bazzar is the best Indian aimed more at non Indians and offers great value, service quality etc. 

Really?

Having been only the once granted I did not get that impression at all from the place.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd revive this thread.

I've tried a few new ones this year: Royal Leicesters, Clowes, Ghurka at the Wyvern, and Ghurka New Delhi (Mountsorrel). 

Wasn't too impressed with Royal Leicesters, Clowes was decent, the food at Ghurka at the Wyvern was very good but it's a bit of a dive, and was really impressed with Ghurka New Delhi (can have a few beers in either the Swan or Sorrel Fox before).

Still think Paddy's, Little Club and Broadway are the best. If you just like a standard curry and rice then you aren't doing these places right. It's all about the mixed grills, lamb chops, crispy chicken, tilapia fish, cripsy aubergine, chilli chips, mogo etc (basically the dishes you can't get in a standard Bangladeshi curry house).

The Desi Pub scene in Leicester is quality atm and something we can actually be proud of. I lived in London for 5 years and the curry scene down there is nothing on Leicester.

Ones for next year: The Taj, What A Shot and Himalaya 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Thought I'd revive this thread.

I've tried a few new ones this year: Royal Leicesters, Clowes, Ghurka at the Wyvern, and Ghurka New Delhi (Mountsorrel). 

Wasn't too impressed with Royal Leicesters, Clowes was decent, the food at Ghurka at the Wyvern was very good but it's a bit of a dive, and was really impressed with Ghurka New Delhi (can have a few beers in either the Swan or Sorrel Fox before).

Still think Paddy's, Little Club and Broadway are the best. If you just like a standard curry and rice then you aren't doing these places right. It's all about the mixed grills, lamb chops, crispy chicken, tilapia fish, cripsy aubergine, chilli chips, mogo etc (basically the dishes you can't get in a standard Bangladeshi curry house).

The Desi Pub scene in Leicester is quality atm and something we can actually be proud of. I lived in London for 5 years and the curry scene down there is nothing on Leicester.

Ones for next year: The Taj, What A Shot and Himalaya 

I find Leicester scene to be overpriced and abit lame to be fair, the gujarati chefs dont cut it and Paddys has gone down hill.  Me and the lads hire a mini coach or catch a train to punjab town/black country in Birmingham and do a massive desi pub crawl and craft beer session.  Were doing one this weekend, cant wait.

15 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I find Leicester scene to be overpriced and abit lame to be fair, the gujarati chefs dont cut it and Paddys has gone down hill.  Me and the lads hire a mini coach or catch a train to punjab town/black country in Birmingham and do a massive desi pub crawl and craft beer session.  Were doing one this weekend, cant wait.

I went to Hen and Chickens in Birmingham a few years ago and was very impressed! I need to do the same with my mates. Which ones do you rate the highest over there?

6 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I went to Hen and Chickens in Birmingham a few years ago and was very impressed! I need to do the same with my mates. Which ones do you rate the highest over there?

Hen & Chickens is one of our stops, there is another Desi Pub in Jewellery Quarter, just opened recently by a uni mate of mine, the other 2 in town are ok nothing to Singh about.  

We tend to work out way from the Black Country and work our way day to either ones in the city.  My fav at the mo is Soho Tavern, its in the middle of nowhere but its worth the trip.

Edited by Dr The Singh

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Hen & Chickens is one of our stops, there is another Desi Pub in Jewellery Quarter, just opened recently by a uni mate of mine, the other 2 in town are ok nothing to Singh about.  

We tend to work out way from the Black Country and work our way day to either ones in the city.  My fav at the mo is Soho Tavern, its in the middle of nowhere but its worth the trip.

Nice, Soho Tavern is the one I've heard rave reviews about. I think I'll do a day in Birmingham next year to sample it!

Apart from Birmingham though, Leicester has to be one of the top places in the UK. I went to Uni in Liverpool and it's shocking up there lol. Few good hotspots in London (Harrow/Southall) but mostly overrated. They all bang on about Tayyabs- so average. 

1 minute ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Nice, Soho Tavern is the one I've heard rave reviews about. I think I'll do a day in Birmingham next year to sample it!

Apart from Birmingham though, Leicester has to be one of the top places in the UK. I went to Uni in Liverpool and it's shocking up there lol. Few good hotspots in London (Harrow/Southall) but mostly overrated. They all bang on about Tayyabs- so average. 

There so many in Brum, my inlaws are from Smethwick and in 1 mile radius theres atleast 10 punjabi pubs banging out great desi food.  Handsworth has some cracking Punjabi food with late night live bhangra music, with a cracking brothel and titty bar nearby......class lads night out.  Absolutely love Brum, punjabis know how to eat drink and party.

There are a couple in Derby which are on par with Leicester, and Cov has a good few.  Nottingham finally has desi pub.

19 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

There so many in Brum, my inlaws are from Smethwick and in 1 mile radius theres atleast 10 punjabi pubs banging out great desi food.  Handsworth has some cracking Punjabi food with late night live bhangra music, with a cracking brothel and titty bar nearby......class lads night out.  Absolutely love Brum, punjabis know how to eat drink and party.

There are a couple in Derby which are on par with Leicester, and Cov has a good few.  Nottingham finally has desi pub.

What's the one in Nottingham? Not the Kean's Head is it

7 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I've just landed at birmingham airport, pick me up paji we've got some slayin to do.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Which Derby ones you thinking of?

9 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

What's the one in Nottingham? Not the Kean's Head is it

Not Paajis.

Its called the Emerald only just opened last week, I was at the opening.  Its the Tailors Arms in Wilford.

Unfortunately the guys opened too soon amd unprepared, the place had no tv screens, the bar staff were all over the shot and the food missed items.  The owners wanted the xmas trade but its not a great start.  I dont think they even have a proper punjabi chef.

I will pop over and try it again, but if theyre telling me June is when the full menu is going to be in place, I may wait till then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's been there forever but I went to Santhi on Granby Street for the first time a few months ago and have already been back twice since.

It's not the nicest setting (a basement) but I don't care about decor and the food was GREAT the times we went

About 20 of us had pretty disappointing experience of there on Friday night.

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Not Paajis.

Its called the Emerald only just opened last week, I was at the opening.  Its the Tailors Arms in Wilford.

Unfortunately the guys opened too soon amd unprepared, the place had no tv screens, the bar staff were all over the shot and the food missed items.  The owners wanted the xmas trade but its not a great start.  I dont think they even have a proper punjabi chef.

I will pop over and try it again, but if theyre telling me June is when the full menu is going to be in place, I may wait till then.

Thanks, will probably try this next year.

Please gives us a breakdown/review of your Desi Pub crawl afterwards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What went wrong? My guess would be that they couldn't cope with that number of diners at once, but that really shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

Food gave a few of us the shits. Couldn't seem to get the bill together.

Felt for the young waitress as she was rushed off her feet but did well in fairness. Was surprised they didn't ask for a deposit beforehand.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Food gave a few of us the shits. Couldn't seem to get the bill together.

Felt for the young waitress as she was rushed off her feet but did well in fairness. Was surprised they didn't ask for a deposit beforehand.

Well I can see why you won't be rushing back.

Mind you, I used to say of the much missed Namaste, I reckon I've eaten here on more than a hundred occasions and I've only been poisoned 3 times!

It's also the place I was closest to getting into a fight as an adult.

We have the makings of a truly attention grabbing Trip Advisor review

• Haha 1