Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fazzer 7

Best Indian restaurant in or near Leicester

6 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Paddy's Martin Inn is still great, but I have to say I've been very impressed by the Taj (the old Tamarind on Hinckley Road) since that opened.

Indian people go there to eat and that's always a good sign

Went Taj once and wouldn't go back if I was paid to, over an hour to wait for food. They were more bothered about chucking take aways out the front door. Eventually got half what we'd ordered with the rest missing so we gave up and left. What we got was nice but the service was the worst I've ever had. 

• Like 1

Paddies seems to have gone down hill. We went Tuesday. Wasn't overly impressed on the last visit. 

Always enjoy my trip to Taraj in Syston. 

Tried the Clowes back end of last year and everything was ridiculously hot and I like my spicy food. 

NRI is decent. 

Any other recommendations, our group now were not playing football are trying to do a new curry house each month. 

Heard good things about KeemaSultan(sp?) in Oadby - can anyone vouch?

10 hours ago, Libertine said:

Anyone been to Memsaab since it reopened on Vaughan Way? Loved it at Highcross, looks mega pricey though.

Yeah I went for Valentines, it’s decent but pricey for what it is. 

Owl & Pussycat and Paddy Marten have always been my two. 

Red Rose in Syston is banging for a takeaway. Masalas on Uppingham Rd is very nice aswell. 

Vishals got done for rats years ago and it’s put me off ever since. 

The Wyvern aswell, decent in there. 

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Umbungo78 said:

Went Taj once and wouldn't go back if I was paid to, over an hour to wait for food. They were more bothered about chucking take aways out the front door. Eventually got half what we'd ordered with the rest missing so we gave up and left. What we got was nice but the service was the worst I've ever had. 

I've heard other reports of long waits and it's been surprisingly difficult to actually book it recently, so I suspect that staffing has been an issue.

They seemed to have sorted it on Friday, service was very good although I allowed myself to be upsold into buying more starters than was absolutely necessary. They were blooming nice though

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You not been the new one that's moved in to where Rossini's was in The Crescent? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Not yet, no. I was wondering what it was like the other day. I will give it a visit. Thanks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, westernpark said:

Authentic- Mithaas. 

I’ve said many times, probably my favourite place in Leicestershire.

I’ve recently hugely cut down on the amount of meat I eat based on places like this showing how tasty veggie food can be.

• Like 1

The Taj on Hinckley road, great food, reasonable prices, carrying on from where the Tamarind left off.

Everest Dine on Belgrave gate also excellent food & not too expensive, though get a seat away from the front door as it can get a bit draughty.

Not been to Paddy's or the Clowes for a little while but hoping they are as good as they were pre covid.

For those who like a trip out of the City, Harrison spice in Ratby is worth a try.

14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Many moons ago I used to be a fan of the Shimla Pinks lunchtime buffet. It was good value, and basically an opportunity to eat A LOT of Seekh Kebab followed by a couple of helpings of whatever three or four curries they were doing which were always tasty, and then stink the office out and do sod all work for the rest of the day.

Was never a fan of it in the evenings though - mentally over priced. I think it's still going, but no idea what it's like these days

We got fed up with the Parcel Yard never having after work/pre match food on so we gave it a go prior the last midweek game we had and a 20/20 down the county. 

The interior could do with a bit of a spruce up.

I'm a bit fussy with Indian food in that I love it but i'm not too keen on waking up at 2am with acid reflux and the after effects the next day. Also a bit wary of having an indian and then going down the city :S

On both occasions I went for the Chicken Tikka, Pilau Rice, Garlic and Coriander Naan combination. Really enjoyed it, no after effects at all and I might get a little more adventurous next time out.

31 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I really like the main Kayal (not a herbivore), and am a huge fan of South Indian food.

It is great, but I've not been for ages.

Went there for a work meeting and a bloke we were with didn't even look at the menu (which was full of amazing sounding things) and asked them to do a Jalfrezi for him and they just said no, fair play to them 

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It is great, but I've not been for ages.

Went there for a work meeting and a bloke we were with didn't even look at the menu (which was full of amazing sounding things) and asked them to do a Jalfrezi for him and they just said no, fair play to them 

I used to live in Rome, and we were regulars at an Indian restaurant run by people from Kerala. They served the standard Northern Indian menu, because that's what people expect. We went one night and there was a huge table of Keralans there, and they had done up a big South Indian menu for them, and asked if we wanted the same set menu. They gained a convert to the cuisine.

I have been meaning to do a regional tour -- I know you can in Leicester -- but have been a bit lazy about looking up what restaurants serve food from less typical regions.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/23-leicestershire-restaurants-make-hot-7292953?fbclid=IwAR3uTV7mR4mxOBei0lh5xvWPSwwG5xvlOVQeVvNTvLpg0yDpiRJJZNQDiWU

Leicester Restaurant of the Year

• Herb (Leicester)
  • Kayal (Leicester)
  • Momma’s Kitchen (Leicester)
  • Chettinad Restaurant (Leicester)
  • Feast India (Leicester)
  • Naseeb @ The Clowes (Leicester)
  • Spice Bazzar (Leicester)
  • Santhi Restaurant (Leicester)
  • Teli’s Spicy (Leicester)
  • Chutney Ivy (Leicester)

Leicestershire curry restaurants are among those battling to be named the best in England. The finalists in the 2022 English Curry Awards have been announced - and there are 23 Leicestershire businesses among them.

The English Curry Awards is now in its 11th year. According to organisers Oceanic Consulting, the event was established to celebrate Asian talent across the UK’s curry industry.

The finalists have been determined by a public vote, and winners will be revealed next month. A black tie awards ceremony will take place on August 22 at the Holiday Inn, Birmingham Airport.

The awards aim to highlight the growth of the Asian curry sector and recognise the achievements of the people who work across the industry. It means those rewarded will include chefs, restaurants, managers, takeaways, teams and curry schools.

The Leicestershire finalists include Market Harborough's Everest Lounge (in the Nepalese Restaurant of the Year category and Restaurant of the Year: East Midlands category), The Rickshaw in Ashby (Bangladeshi Restaurant of the Year), Leicester's Kayal (South Indian Restaurant of the Year), and Chai Paani, of Leicester (Vegetarian Restaurant of the Year).

There is also a Leicester category of the awards, in which 10 city restaurants are finalists. They are Herb, Kayal, Momma’s Kitchen, Chettinad Restaurant, Feast India, Naseeb @ The Clowes, Spice Bazzar, Santhi Restaurant, Teli’s Spicy and Chutney Ivy.

Spice Bazzar and Avatar Dining, at Market Harborough, and Gandhi in Castle Donington also join Everest Lounge in the finals of the Restaurant of the Year: East Midlands category. In addition, Herb, Salim's of Loughborough and Spice Bazzar are in the finals of the Curry Restaurant of the Year: East Midlands category, and Spice Bazzar is also in the running to be named Takeaway of the Year: East Midlands.

In the Takeaway and Home Delivery of the Year: East Midlands category, The Cinnamon Lounge, Market Harborough, and Leicester's Simply Indian, Flavours of Asia, Hassan’s Balti, Khyber Nights, Desi Street Food and Maharaja Takeaway are all in the finals. In the Chef of the Year: Midlands category, Herb in Leicester and Everest Lounge in Market Harborough are in the running.

A spokesperson for Oceanic Consulting said: “The curry campaign has been hugely successful across the UK with Scottish, English and London editions to the awards. The English Curry Awards were one of our first and remain one of our best awards. It’s always a brilliant night of fun, food and celebration.

"Despite the many challenges facing the curry industry, these awards prove year after year how much talent there is fuelling the industry, satisfying all of our curry cravings. We have an abundance of talent and fierce competition this year and we wish best of luck to all finalists.”

On 03/07/2022 at 19:41, Arkie Bennett said:

Tried the Owl and Pussycat the other week after several years of being urged to by my colleague. She was spot on, it's great.

My ex wanted to go there on a whim once, I thought it looked rank but when we served the food I was bowled over. Really nice stuff

At the time I had an Indian colleague and I mentioned it to him and he took the piss (but had never eaten there). A while later he got a marketing job with a food delivery app and had to sample their menu for work. He texted me apologising, that was the only time in 5 years of knowing him that he admitted he was wrong lol

• Like 2