Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

VR - Occulous etc?

Thinking of wandering into the VR world.

Can anyone give me some feedback and opinions please. Just a couple of old people so we dont need the latest and greatest... but needs to be reliable and ease of use is a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Probably help if i started by spelling Oculus correctly :)

Edited by ozleicester

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Thinking of wandering into the VR world.

Can anyone give me some feedback and opinions please. Just a couple of old people so we dont need the latest and greatest... but needs to be reliable and ease of use is a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Probably help if i started by spelling Oculus correctly :)

Do you have a PC capable of using it? I only ask as my experience with VR has been with the Quest 2 and using it with PC games, not as a stand-alone headset with the many games that are accessible within the headset alone.

The Quest 2 is brilliant imo. Slightly annoying to now have to have a meta account hooked up to it for it to work, but that aside it’s perfect for sim racing and flight sims.

36 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Do you have a PC capable of using it? I only ask as my experience with VR has been with the Quest 2 and using it with PC games, not as a stand-alone headset with the many games that are accessible within the headset alone.

The Quest 2 is brilliant imo. Slightly annoying to now have to have a meta account hooked up to it for it to work, but that aside it’s perfect for sim racing and flight sims.

ive got a reasonable laptop that can handle not too intensive games.

I tried a friend's Quest 2 recently and it was my first experience with a VR headset. I wasn't expecting it to feel so immersive.

It was a great experience and I'd definitely grab one if I had a bit more cash at the moment.

A quick Google says they're expecting the Quest 3 towards the end of 2023, so I'll probably save up and grab one of those when they arrive. 

Looks like it'd be on another level when coupled with a gaming PC.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

It's a slippery slope. 

One day it's a pair of shoes, next a non-essential piece of technology.

Next thing you know, you'll be directly exploiting the worker and extracting surplus value from their goods!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, samlcfc said:

It's a slippery slope. 

One day it's a pair of shoes, next a non-essential piece of technology.

Next thing you know, you'll be directly exploiting the worker and extracting surplus value from their goods!

get back to work!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Pico 4 for "work" and have been using it in iRacing and it's an absolutely fantastic experience. Didn't try any of the other VR games so can't provide a more general view, but it's the best I've used (of the two I've tried, Rift S and Index). Playing wirelessly really kept the weight down and it was perfectly comfortable. 

I still feel we're a generation or two from them being good enough for mainstream. These have the best lenses of any I've used, but when you keep you head still and look to the top right it still is a bit too fuzzy for my liking.

Worth a look as this is one of the "cheaper" ones. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

So i bought a 2nd hand oculus 2

Does anyone have one... any great suggestions..ideas?

Ive got a few freebie games

Half life alyx

Walking dead saints and sinners

Beatsabre

Superhot

Pistol whip

Should keep you busy for a bit. Tried practically every game on the rift and these are my 5 standouts. :D

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 09:53, ozleicester said:

So i bought a 2nd hand oculus 2

Does anyone have one... any great suggestions..ideas?

Ive got a few freebie games

On 19/02/2023 at 13:35, Innovindil said:

Half life alyx

Walking dead saints and sinners

Beatsabre

Superhot

Pistol whip

Should keep you busy for a bit. Tried practically every game on the rift and these are my 5 standouts. :D

Basically these. 

Also I'd add the Boneworks / Bonelab games. 

Plus Population: One if you're into multiplayer shooters. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/08/2023 at 15:57, Rusko187 said:

There are some good games but I won't lie.. rarely use mine, it's more of a gimmick gadget, hasn't been touched in months.

Agree with this, for most it’s a gimmick. It’s perfect for simulation, though. I use mine for flight and racing and the immersion is incredible.