Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Warning Points

Don't get me wrong - you're a decent poster, but just genuinely feel you're asking for trouble at times (admittedly).

As an example: I was surprised the other day that you mentioned the word 'cancer' when you were talking about a particular matter in General Chat - when the disease had no connection at all to the subject involved..

I put my hand up and say that I reported that comment (a couple of days ago) - as it wasn't acceptable; there could've been members or guests who read that comment of yours who were / have family/friends suffering from cancer who could've been upset by it..

Edited by Wymsey

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Dont get me wrong - you're a decent poster, but just genuinely feel you're asking for trouble at times (admittedly).

I was surprised the other day that you mentioned the word 'cancer' when you were talking about a particular matter in General Chat - when the disease has no connection at all to the subject involved..

I put my hand up and say that I reported that comment (a couple of days ago) - as it wasn't acceptable; there could've been members or guests who read that comment of yours who were / have family/friends suffering from cancer who could've been upset by it..

I was going to answer here, but I will PM you instead. You might seek to put me on the spot in full view, I do not wish to do so in return,

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I was going to answer here, but I will PM you instead. You might seek to put me on the spot in full view, I do not wish to do so in return,

OK, no problem..

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You asked how to get more warning points, you were given an example of the kind of thing that gets reported and presumably then leads to warning points. Answering the question you asked on a public forum isn't exactly 'putting you on the spot in full view'.

1 minute ago, Mark_w said:

You asked how to get more warning points

No, I didn't Mark.  I asked how many points I need to for it to mean something, not how to get more.

In other words, in footballing terms, I am trying to find out how many yellows one can be shown before one gets a suspension. Is that more clear?

Thanks for the disrespectful private message, HPF..:unsure:

Am not 'uneducated' by any means (yes, my posts can be random at times but harmless); try knowing the person first in-person before judging them on an internet forum..:thumbup:

You're really looking for a reaction, but you're not going to get one as it's not worth it.. :thumbup:

Edited by Wymsey

20 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Thanks for the disrespectful private message, HPF..:unsure:

Am not 'uneducated' by any means (yes, my posts can be random at times but harmless); try knowing the person first in-person before judging them on an internet forum..:thumbup:

You're really looking for a reaction, but you're not going to get one as it's not worth it.. :thumbup:

What? I did not use the word 'uneducated' in the PM, and it is entirely disingenuous of you to suggest that's what I said. It was in no way disrespectful, as for your 2nd sentence, that is precisely what you did to me, and for the 3rd, no I'm not - I chose to send you a PM rather than get into it publicly in order to provoke a reaction. I think you're guilty of projection, and also misrepresenting what I said in private too, which is low..

Edited by HighPeakFox

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

What? I did not use the word 'uneducated' in the PM, and it is entirely disingenuous of you to suggest that's what I said. It was in no way disrespectful, as for your 2nd sentence, that is precisely what you did to me, and for the 3rd, no I'm not - I chose to send you a PM rather than get into it publicly in order to provoke a reaction. I think you're guilty of projection, and you misrepresenting what I said in private too, which is low..

You were very much questioning my understanding of the things you mentioned to fit in with your narrative..

How can I look for a reaction in the situation where I reported you for mentioning the word 'cancer' about a subject matter which has no connection at all with the awful disease?..

It could've offended people easily, despite you saying in the PM that I did it whilst being too 'sensitive' about it at the time..

It was, rightfully, deleted swiftly afterwards.

Edited by Wymsey

Just now, Wymsey said:

You were very much questioning my understanding of things you mentioned to fit in with your narrative..

How can I look for a reaction when I reported you mentioning the word 'cancer' about a subject matter which has no connection at all with the disease?..

It could've offended people easily, despite you saying in the PM that I did it whilst being too 'sensitive' about it..

It was, rightfully, deleted swiftly afterwards.

This is so disingenuous, and misleading too. I'm not going to make public what I actually said to you because I have no desire to continue this. You can claim the moral high ground if you're deluded enough to think you own it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Thing is we are venturing into the ground of anything people say is construed as offensive by someone and they report it and get warning points and it's just endless. Just because someone reports something doesn't mean it need deleting and the poster being warned.

For example, the dictionary definition of cancer includes being used how its been used in this context. Now I appreciate some people will have lost family members to the disease itself, but that doesn't mean we can't use it in its other context. I'm all for moderating language to not offend, but that can go too far at times.

I could report your post here, I could report every post you make. Does that mean your being offensive and deserve a ban? Of course not. Appreciate modding isn't easy and can take up time, but also it shouldn't just be a blanket delete and warn all reported posts. Wymesy had every right to report that post if he sees fit, but the mods should know that HPF has done nothing wrong in using that word in that context. Deleting the post isn't borderline acceptable but shouldnt have really happened, warning HPF is absolutely ridiculous.

Used on a fairly trivial topic though 

6 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Thing is we are venturing into the ground of anything people say is construed as offensive by someone and they report it and get warning points and it's just endless. Just because someone reports something doesn't mean it need deleting and the poster being warned.

For example, the dictionary definition of cancer includes being used how its been used in this context. Now I appreciate some people will have lost family members to the disease itself, but that doesn't mean we can't use it in its other context. I'm all for moderating language to not offend, but that can go too far at times.

I could report your post here, I could report every post you make. Does that mean you're being offensive and deserve a ban? Of course not. Appreciate modding isn't easy and can take up time, but also it shouldn't just be a blanket delete and warn all reported posts. Wymesy had every right to report that post if he sees fit, but the mods should know that HPF has done nothing wrong in using that word in that context. Deleting the post is borderline acceptable but shouldnt have really happened, warning HPF is absolutely ridiculous.

We don't know if he/they had got warned for that specific comment, though.

Edited by Wymsey

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

We don't know if he/they had got warned for that specific comment, though.

Yes you do - I told you quite clearly in a PM that you already knew the reason I got this warning point. It was because someone decided to report me because I suggested that victimhood grows on the forum like an untreated malignant tumour does - I just said it rather more succinctly than that. 

You, or anyone else, might not like my point of view or my choice of language, but that is beside the point. I was not mocking the illness or belittling those that have been affected by that terrible illness. The irony is I just lost a very important person in my life - their funeral was last Friday. No prizes for guessing what illness she was the victim of. A 10 year old pupil has just lost his father the same way. My sister-in-law died aged 38 because of it. So please, think on before you jump to conclusions about me and hit the report button.

As I also said to you, if I decided to report every post I found 'offensive', Mark would not have a moment's peace. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

yes, my posts can be random at times but harmless

Just as @HighPeakFox doesn't get to decide whether what he says causes offence, you don't get to decide whether your posts are harmless.

You do get to decide whether they were meant to cause harm, just as he gets to decide whether his were meant to cause offence, but intention and outcome are not necessarily the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, I think someone getting warning points for using a long-established metaphor is ridiculous.

I also suspect that the name for the disease actually post-dates (and probably derives from) the use of the word more generally - I think the word was in use well before anyone had found out what cancer is or how it works, or indeed that it exists.

Which is not to belittle, diminish or demean any offence anyone felt. It's just interesting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Raj said:

You should wear a warning point with pride!

I even got a ban a few months ago, enjoyed the rest off here although at the time i was well p1ssed off!

Indeed. I just want to know how many one can get before it has an effect.