Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Warning Points

44 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

But it's an indication to others so they don't commit the same crime.

Well my friend, I guess the answer is to try and avoid triggering people that like reporting things that may or may not actually be deemed offensive. 

Not easy to know who lurks out there, waiting to complain. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Ah, "nothing to see here" often means there is.

There are two threads about this where it is clear what I said, but thanks for assuming guilt on my part. 

The irony is that the person asking the question of me knew exactly what I'd said, or done. Read the entire thread and you'll see. 

33 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

There are two threads about this where it is clear what I said, but thanks for assuming guilt on my part. 

The irony is that the person asking the question of me knew exactly what I'd said, or done. Read the entire thread and you'll see. 

I was not "assuming" guilt on your part at all but merely suggesting a generalisation that when you hear that phrase it often means the opposite.

Are people really offended by just about anything nowadays.

What a bloody sad state of affairs.

(hope this post doesn't cause an offence)

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Don't get me wrong - you're a decent poster, but just genuinely feel you're asking for trouble at times (admittedly).

As an example: I was surprised the other day that you mentioned the word 'cancer' when you were talking about a particular matter in General Chat - when the disease had no connection at all to the subject involved..

I put my hand up and say that I reported that comment (a couple of days ago) - as it wasn't acceptable; there could've been members or guests who read that comment of yours who were / have family/friends suffering from cancer who could've been upset by it..

Going back to this Wymesy. You say HPF looks for trouble, but the example you use is him using word in a perfectly acceptable way. I would say you are the one who seeks trouble because you reported that. If I give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't thick I'll assume you know the duel context of the word cancer. And in looking at his posts and hopefully knowing the meaning, you have chosen to report it somehow on the assumption he chose that word to cause offence to people. He's not directly abused you, he's not done anything to directly try and hurt somebody hes just used a word in a context you aren't keen on, how would he know that prior to posting? He hasn't thought "Wymsey hates cancer used luke this so I'm gonna do it to upset him", so why you thought reporting was the best cause of action is beyond me. I mean I don't like the word moist, but I will accept people can use it and if I see it I move on lol The best thing you could have done it messaged HPF or even replied to his post saying you don't like that usage of that word, but you chose to cause an issue.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Going back to this Wymesy. You say HPF looks for trouble, but the example you use is him using word in a perfectly acceptable way. I would say you are the one who seeks trouble because you reported that. If I give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't thick I'll assume you know the duel context of the word cancer. And in looking at his posts and hopefully knowing the meaning, you have chosen to report it somehow on the assumption he chose that word to cause offence to people. He's not directly abused you, he's not done anything to directly try and hurt somebody hes just used a word in a context you aren't keen on, how would he know that prior to posting? He hasn't thought "Wymsey hates cancer used luke this so I'm gonna do it to upset him", so why you thought reporting was the best cause of action is beyond me. I mean I don't like the word moist, but I will accept people can use it and if I see it I move on lol The best thing you could have done it messaged HPF or even replied to his post saying you don't like that usage of that word, but you chose to cause an issue.

Look, admittedly I did report it - and my reason being was that it could potentially upset members / guests who have had the trouble with cancer themselves or their family/friends.

Do I not have a right to report; no?

Hence I didn't say that he was abusing anyone with the C-term.., that's going a bit too far an assumption..

Plus, how am I seeking trouble?

I just thought at the time of reading his original post that it could've been said in another way, away from the medical term - in the What Grinds My Gears thread, someone mentioned the word is a bit unnecessary when describing something - which I, personally, agree.

I do have a bit of a point here, but I get HPFs' reason he used the word in the post in General Chat - too.

You have my apologies if my viewpoint has upset anyone, @Facecloth, @HighPeakFox.

Plus, please don't perceive me as 'thick'..

You don't know me personally, only on this football forum (yes, I'm aware I can post things that some may disagree with)!

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Look, admittedly I did report it - and my reason being was that it could potentially upset members / guests who have had the trouble with cancer themselves or their family/friends.

Hence I didn't say that he was abusing anyone with the C-term.., that's going a bit too far an assumption..

I just thought at the time of reading his original post that it could've been said in another way, away from the medical term - in the What Grinds My Gears thread, someone mentioned the word is a bit unnecessary when describing something - which I, personally, agree.

I do have a bit of a point here, but I get HPFs' reason he used the word in the post in General Chat - too.

You have my apologies if my viewpoint has upset anyone, @Facecloth, @HighPeakFox.

Plus, please don't perceive me as 'thick'..

You don't know me personally, only on this football forum (yes, I'm aware I can post things that some may disagree with)!

I'm annoyed you didn't just approach me about it, rather than take the path of least resistance and reporting me, then asking 'what have you done now?' as if I am always up to no good, when in actual fact you knew what I had done because you had damn well reported me and got me in the slammer for a few hours within 5 minutes of my initial entry. And then when I did explain myself privately, you totally misunderstood (that is putting it kindly) and misrepresented what I had said within this thread. I think that could be classed as 'seeking trouble'.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

You can use the report button, but wasn't it really needed was it? You aren't the moral arbitration of the Internet. Let people deal with things themselves. Many things can be said in other ways doesn't mean we need to be hitting report. Some posters swear, they don't need to, does the mean they should all be mass reported?

HPF has made a post in good faith with no intention of upsetting people. You, in your self appointed role of moral compass have created an issue by reporting it, so yes I do think you are looking for it. Personally I think whilst you have the right to report what you want it should only really be used when you are directly insulted. I mean I could report every single post you make because might decide a word in each of them doesn't sit right with me. You won't have had to directly insult me or anything, I could just find you usage of the word, I don't know "someone" as offensive and report it. How's that sensible? How's that fair to you? Aren't I being a bit of trouble maker, a shit stirrer by doing so?

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 3

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I'm annoyed you didn't just approach me about it, rather than take the path of least resistance and reporting me, then asking 'what have you done now?' as if I am always up to no good, when in actual fact you knew what I had done because you had damn well reported me and got me in the slammer for a few hours within 5 minutes of my initial entry. And then when I did explain myself privately, you totally misunderstood (that is putting it kindly) and misrepresented what I had said within this thread. I think that could be classed as 'seeking trouble'.

OK, I realise I should've done.

But, admittedly, if I asked - was concerned that I might've touched a nerve by directly questioning you about it.

Also, admittedly, the 'What have you done now?' comment was quite tongue-in-cheek.

Maybe I should've used the :whistle: emoji after that post.

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

OK, I realise I should've done.

But, admittedly, if I asked - was concerned that I might've touched a nerve by directly questioning you about it.

Also, admittedly, the 'What have you done now?' comment was quite tongue-in-cheek.

Maybe I should've used the :whistle: emoji after that post.

Maybe - shall we let it rest there?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

You can use the report button, but wasn't it really needed was it? You aren't the moral arbitration of the Internet. Let people deal with things themselves. Many things can be said in other ways doesn't mean we need to be hitting report. Some poster swear, they don't need to, does the mean they should all be mass reported. 

HPF has made a post in good faith with no intention of upsetting people. You, in your self appointed role or moral compass have created an issue by reporting it, so yes I do think you are looking for it. Personally I think whilst you have the right to report what you want it should only really be used when you directly insulted. I mean I could report every single post you make because might decide a word in each of them doesn't sit right with me. You won't have had to directly insult me or anything, I could just find you usage of the word, I don't know "someone" as offensive and report it. How's that sensible? How's that fair to you? Aren't I being a bit of trouble maker, a shit stirrer by doing so?

Think you're trying to attack me, with the bit in bold - of course I'm not.

Nor are you, putting it kindly.

If you think I'm apparently looking for trouble, that's your own opinion.

I apologise if you genuinely think I was, or am in general (genuinely hope am not).

I thought I had the right to report it with the explanation to it in my last post above this one.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Maybe - shall we let it rest there?

I think we should, of course.

I'm not judging you negatively as a person, based on this debate.

I do enjoy most of your posts in General Chat.

Again, I apologise if anyone believes I was 'looking for trouble'.

Just now, Wymsey said:

I think we should, of course.

I'm not judging you negatively as a person, based on this debate.

I do enjoy most of your posts in General Chat.

Again, I apologise if anyone believes I was 'looking for trouble'.

I really don't mind how you judge me :) 

Just don't be afraid to message me if I say something you want clarification on.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I really don't mind how you judge me :) 

Just don't be afraid to message me if I say something you want clarification on.

;)

I think I've learnt my lesson here in that I really shouldn't have, reported it; but, as you mentioned, should've quoted and stated my view on the term at the time - live and learn, etc.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Think you're trying to attack me, with the bit in bold - of course I'm not.

Nor are you, putting it kindly.

If you think I'm apparently looking for trouble, that's your own opinion.

I apologise if you genuinely think I was, or am in general (genuinely hope am not).

I thought I had the right to report it with the explanation to it in my last post above this one.

I'm not attacking you, its how you are behaving. Reporting stuff because you fear others might not like it. Taking personal offence at things not directed at you, or anyone for that matter.

You had every right to report it, just as I have every right to report every post you make from now on. Will I? Of course not because I'm not like you, and I'm not trying to get people in trouble. As HPF says don't be afraid to message people if you want answer, because reporting people for nothing and then mocking them after isn't great is it let's be honest. 

And maybe let's leave it there.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm not attacking you, its how you are behaving. Reporting stuff because you fear others might not like it. Taking personal offence at things not directed at you, or anyone for that matter.

You had every right to report it, just as I have every right to report every post you make from now on. Will I? Of course not because I'm not like you, and I'm not trying to get people in trouble. As HPF says don't be afraid to message people if you want answer, because reporting people for nothing and then mocking them after isn't great is it let's be honest. 

And maybe let's leave it there.

As mentioned to HPF, I'll take this conversation on the chin and learn from it; honestly.

Regarding the bit in bold - I'd be reporting literally thousands and thousands, then..:whistle:

One last thing I have to admit - I, genuinely, didn't think there was another meaning of the word in question.

Now I do, I feel a bit awkward about this situation it has come to; but, more importantly, has increased my vocabulary..:D

(Hope you don't think I'm unintelligent for not realising the other meaning of the term.)

Edited by Wymsey