Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Climate Change - a poll  

412 members have voted

  1. 1. Climate Change is....

    • Not Real
      34
    • Real - Human influenced
      296
    • Real - Just Nature
      82


Recommended Posts

Posted
17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And what damage will more and more record breaking intensity Ninos do to come?

There is evidence that each record breaking Nino we’ve seen over the past forty years has raised the global temperature base state. 

so we could be looking at av global temps being a half degree or so higher 2028 onwards. Where we see the rises concentrated, that could easily be 2c across a period 

 

 

  • Like 3
Posted
7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There is evidence that each record breaking Nino we’ve seen over the past forty years has raised the global temperature base state. 

so we could be looking at av global temps being a half degree or so higher 2028 onwards. Where we see the rises concentrated, that could easily be 2c across a period 

 

 

... which will lead to all sorts of fun and games in terms of consequences. 

 

Welcome to the future, huh?

Posted

Maybe we should run a sweepstake on exactly when all the people that leave laughing emojis over any climate change stories will suddenly realise it's been true all along. It will happen, there will be a point where it's 25° on Xmas day or something and the penny will drop. We witnessed a Pompeii level event in Nepal only a fortnight-ish ago caused entirely by glacial retreat. How many more do we need to see and how much closer to home do they need to get before recognition hits the hold outs in the face? And what will their reaction be to the political leaders and media that fed them the climate change denial lies? 

Posted
8 minutes ago, CornwallFox said:

Maybe we should run a sweepstake on exactly when all the people that leave laughing emojis over any climate change stories will suddenly realise it's been true all along. It will happen, there will be a point where it's 25° on Xmas day or something and the penny will drop. We witnessed a Pompeii level event in Nepal only a fortnight-ish ago caused entirely by glacial retreat. How many more do we need to see and how much closer to home do they need to get before recognition hits the hold outs in the face? And what will their reaction be to the political leaders and media that fed them the climate change denial lies? 

Unfortunately, for at least some, that day will only come when it directly, and grossly, affects them and those closest to them. And, more significantly, by that time, every single person on this earth will also be along for the ride.

 

Therefore, on this matter, it's better to use the majority that already exists as deftly as possible, both to get things done and to politically marginalise those who would see those things not done. 

 

Keep stating scientific truths and consequences, by all means, but also know that there comes a point where such actions serve no purpose and it's much more fruitful to the future to simply ignore and marginalise, however possible. 

 

Posted
On 09/09/2026 at 18:15, Foxdiamond said:

Not sure if to post here or the Unpopular Opinions. People really need to reduce flying. 

I am becoming increasingly conscious of this. This is the hardest individual action for me. I love travelling, and I want to do more of it. If someone said that I could either never get on a plane again or never eat meat again, the decision would be so easy for me. I'd never eat meat again. 

 

One simple thing I'd happily promise to never do again is to fly internally within the UK. Admittedly, I've only done this twice (Birmingham to Edinburgh and back, and Edinburgh to Glasgow and back) but I go to Scotland often for work and most of the time I drive or get the train depending on how much equipment I have to take with me. In all honesty, it probably doesn't take that much longer for me to get to Glasgow from mine via train than getting from my house to Birmingham Airport and flying to Glasgow, yet the environmental impact of flying is substantially greater. 

 

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I am becoming increasingly conscious of this. This is the hardest individual action for me. I love travelling, and I want to do more of it. If someone said that I could either never get on a plane again or never eat meat again, the decision would be so easy for me. I'd never eat meat again. 

 

One simple thing I'd happily promise to never do again is to fly internally within the UK. Admittedly, I've only done this twice (Birmingham to Edinburgh and back, and Edinburgh to Glasgow and back) but I go to Scotland often for work and most of the time I drive or get the train depending on how much equipment I have to take with me. In all honesty, it probably doesn't take that much longer for me to get to Glasgow from mine via train than getting from my house to Birmingham Airport and flying to Glasgow, yet the environmental impact of flying is substantially greater. 

 

If only train fares were not so expensive 

Posted
3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I am becoming increasingly conscious of this. This is the hardest individual action for me. I love travelling, and I want to do more of it. If someone said that I could either never get on a plane again or never eat meat again, the decision would be so easy for me. I'd never eat meat again. 

 

One simple thing I'd happily promise to never do again is to fly internally within the UK. Admittedly, I've only done this twice (Birmingham to Edinburgh and back, and Edinburgh to Glasgow and back) but I go to Scotland often for work and most of the time I drive or get the train depending on how much equipment I have to take with me. In all honesty, it probably doesn't take that much longer for me to get to Glasgow from mine via train than getting from my house to Birmingham Airport and flying to Glasgow, yet the environmental impact of flying is substantially greater. 

 

I can understand the feeling of struggle here - both animal agriculture and various forms of transportation have a high carbon footprint. 

 

However, they both still do pale in comparison to energy generation, and so while an individual should be conscientious about them, that same individual does much more for the future of life on the Earth by voting for and encouraging backing of a government that will ensure carbon neutral methods of generation both in a country and across the world, rather than stopping flying or eating meat. 

  • Like 1
Posted

We’ve made a lot of changes at home. My wife and I now both drive EV’s, and I’m in the process of installing solar panels, so hopefully assist with less of an energy output. 
 

In terms of food, this is where I’ve had to work hard to make changes. We now very rarely eat red meat, probably once a year…. I can’t cut meat out of my diet, mainly because of my lifestyle being extremely active and sports driven, unfortunately no matter the efforts from the plant based industry, their foods just don’t produce the nutrients to fully sustain this lifestyle, mainly being plant based protein is naturally inferior than meat protein, so I’d have to just replace it with a shit load of supplements to meet my personal needs…

 

What I do now, is just eat Poultry, Pork and occasionally fish….. 

 

Beef makes up for roughly 60kg of emissions per KG…

and Lamb 20kg whereas poultry is about 6kg an pork 7kg…..

 

Fish again is about 5kg…. And in comparison to processed plant foods which are about 5kg themselves…..  with this I eat a lot of fruit, potato’s, rice and grains…. 
 

You can make significant changes without erasing things you like entirely. Just takes some research and try to buy more local than globally sourced. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

We’ve made a lot of changes at home. My wife and I now both drive EV’s, and I’m in the process of installing solar panels, so hopefully assist with less of an energy output. 
 

In terms of food, this is where I’ve had to work hard to make changes. We now very rarely eat red meat, probably once a year…. I can’t cut meat out of my diet, mainly because of my lifestyle being extremely active and sports driven, unfortunately no matter the efforts from the plant based industry, their foods just don’t produce the nutrients to fully sustain this lifestyle, mainly being plant based protein is naturally inferior than meat protein, so I’d have to just replace it with a shit load of supplements to meet my personal needs…

 

What I do now, is just eat Poultry, Pork and occasionally fish….. 

 

Beef makes up for roughly 60kg of emissions per KG…

and Lamb 20kg whereas poultry is about 6kg an pork 7kg…..

 

Fish again is about 5kg…. And in comparison to processed plant foods which are about 5kg themselves…..  with this I eat a lot of fruit, potato’s, rice and grains…. 
 

You can make significant changes without erasing things you like entirely. Just takes some research and try to buy more local than globally sourced. 

 

The problem with much of this, in terms of getting everyone on board, is cost.

 

The idea of owning 1, let alone 2, ev is beyond the reach of the majority of people, That's down to being new tech and will become more affordable.

 

It is however more concerning regarding the cost of food. As you say, buying local will greatly help the environment and is probably reachable by more people, yet there's no option for many but to buy the cheapest supermarket food. 

 

It's ridiculous that food brought half way round the world and then processed over and over is cheaper than something cultivated a few miles away and shipped in its natural state.

 

Fast fashion has a lot to blame also. Cheaper to run a sweatshop in a country where it's still allowed and pay the mileage.

 

Screwed up world.

Posted
2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

We’ve made a lot of changes at home. My wife and I now both drive EV’s, and I’m in the process of installing solar panels, so hopefully assist with less of an energy output. 
 

In terms of food, this is where I’ve had to work hard to make changes. We now very rarely eat red meat, probably once a year…. I can’t cut meat out of my diet, mainly because of my lifestyle being extremely active and sports driven, unfortunately no matter the efforts from the plant based industry, their foods just don’t produce the nutrients to fully sustain this lifestyle, mainly being plant based protein is naturally inferior than meat protein, so I’d have to just replace it with a shit load of supplements to meet my personal needs…

 

What I do now, is just eat Poultry, Pork and occasionally fish….. 

 

Beef makes up for roughly 60kg of emissions per KG…

and Lamb 20kg whereas poultry is about 6kg an pork 7kg…..

 

Fish again is about 5kg…. And in comparison to processed plant foods which are about 5kg themselves…..  with this I eat a lot of fruit, potato’s, rice and grains…. 
 

You can make significant changes without erasing things you like entirely. Just takes some research and try to buy more local than globally sourced. 

 

 

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

The problem with much of this, in terms of getting everyone on board, is cost.

 

The idea of owning 1, let alone 2, ev is beyond the reach of the majority of people, That's down to being new tech and will become more affordable.

 

It is however more concerning regarding the cost of food. As you say, buying local will greatly help the environment and is probably reachable by more people, yet there's no option for many but to buy the cheapest supermarket food. 

 

It's ridiculous that food brought half way round the world and then processed over and over is cheaper than something cultivated a few miles away and shipped in its natural state.

 

Fast fashion has a lot to blame also. Cheaper to run a sweatshop in a country where it's still allowed and pay the mileage.

 

Screwed up world.

 

On 23/09/2026 at 19:38, leicsmac said:

I can understand the feeling of struggle here - both animal agriculture and various forms of transportation have a high carbon footprint. 

 

However, they both still do pale in comparison to energy generation, and so while an individual should be conscientious about them, that same individual does much more for the future of life on the Earth by voting for and encouraging backing of a government that will ensure carbon neutral methods of generation both in a country and across the world, rather than stopping flying or eating meat. 

Trav has a point, but thankfully an individual doesn't have to do many or all of these things to make a difference, as the bolded text attests.

 

It's certainly a good idea to do them if possible, but people shouldn't feel that they're not doing their bit if they can't - however, there is no excuse for not using your vote in the way that might benefit the future on this matter, as that is far easier.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The problem with much of this, in terms of getting everyone on board, is cost.

 

The idea of owning 1, let alone 2, ev is beyond the reach of the majority of people, That's down to being new tech and will become more affordable.

 

It is however more concerning regarding the cost of food. As you say, buying local will greatly help the environment and is probably reachable by more people, yet there's no option for many but to buy the cheapest supermarket food. 

 

It's ridiculous that food brought half way round the world and then processed over and over is cheaper than something cultivated a few miles away and shipped in its natural state.

 

Fast fashion has a lot to blame also. Cheaper to run a sweatshop in a country where it's still allowed and pay the mileage.

 

Screwed up world.

You’re correct… my wife and I bit the bullet regarding EV’s, and I’ve always had car finance or PCP, so the combined cost of running a combustion engine was astronomical, my finances have halved since switching to EV, I was putting about £160 a month into my car  for fuel sometimes £200 depending on how far I was driving, now, it costs me on average £3 to charge my car a session, so I’m making a huge saving. But like you say, there will be many people who can’t afford to do this…. It suits my lifestyle at the moment to do it this way, however with the emergence of cheaper mass produced EV’s there maybe a chance to remedy this for some people. 
 

 

Food wise you’re spot on, it’s criminal really, there people as you say, some people can only afford to shop in supermarkets, and sometimes convenience supermarkets like Iceland, where the products are heavily processed….. but they’re done in a way to make it go further….. the only way it changes is either government enforcement or the food industry takes a stance and changes itself, which it won’t…… all they do is fluff it up…..

 

I watch a lot of American sports, and with DAZN you get American adverts, compare our McDonalds adverts to the US…. Ours have a lovely smooth talking chap, talking about free range this, free range that, whereas in the US it sounds more like they’re preparing for war, for a box of chicken nuggets….. the way the industry cover its tracks is incredible. So there’s little chance of it making the right changes….

 

The world is ****ed up, and unfortunately, the nations wanting to make a difference are over shadowed by super powers who won’t…… as many have said, half of America would need to be under water until they collectively woke up. 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The problem with much of this, in terms of getting everyone on board, is cost.

 

The idea of owning 1, let alone 2, ev is beyond the reach of the majority of people, That's down to being new tech and will become more affordable.

 

It is however more concerning regarding the cost of food. As you say, buying local will greatly help the environment and is probably reachable by more people, yet there's no option for many but to buy the cheapest supermarket food. 

 

It's ridiculous that food brought half way round the world and then processed over and over is cheaper than something cultivated a few miles away and shipped in its natural state.

 

Fast fashion has a lot to blame also. Cheaper to run a sweatshop in a country where it's still allowed and pay the mileage.

 

Screwed up world.

Food is an interesting one.

 

You see how conspiracy theorists are obsessed by illnesses and rises in cancer rates for example as well as neurodivergent conditions and that they must be down to jabs, specifically the Covid jab. If you look though at what is in the foods sold on supermarket shelves and that tells the story for me. Preservatives, additives and none of it good (carcinogens). It intrigued me how these people are completely oblivious to the evidence about the food they are eating (evidence enough to be on the information provided) yet obsess over unproven theories about vaccines.

 

But that wasn’t the point and I digress. We have started getting what we can from a local farm shop for the above health reasons but also the benefits to the environment. We get our meat, fruit and veg from there. We’d like to branch out more but unfortunately there are still so many things you can’t just get away or would have to go to so many independent places it would take so much time when you’re working full time. 
 

It’d be great for the environment and public health if more locally sourced foods could be more easily purchased (logistically and cost wise) in village stores and local farms.

Edited by LCFCJohn

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...