Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

The Promotion Files #2: Glory for Gordon as Supermac Cracks Up

27 minutes ago, davieG said:

Gerry Daly was a great player and it was a big disappointment that we couldn't sign him permanently

Yeah - I thought he was great, even when he was at Man U.

In April 1981 he got a crucial goal for Covetry that pretty much confirmed our relegaiton. After beating us 4-1 in March (Tommy English hattrick!), Coventry took only one point from five games and it looked like they were finally heading back to Division Two after 14 seasons in the top flight. Then Daly got the winner at Middlesbrough which meant we needed a miracle to survive. 

I love this comment from Coventry's Steve Hunt after the game: 

I shall not forget the reaction of the manager on the bench. The boss normally shows no emotion but he was up on his feet and dancing around like a Zulu warrior.

That manager, of course, was Gordon Milne.

Here's Daly in action for Cov earlier that season at Filbert Street in the famous brown kit. They won that too - 3-1.

they-got-together-later.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I was as annoyed (being polite) as anyone after the Wallace/Melrose/Young departures but Milne had the last laugh. Not sure that either of the pair's careers improved after leaving? 

Youngy always regretted leaving. He never had anything like the same success at Sheff Utd, Brighton and Notts County. Have you read his book? It's pretty harrowing.  Melrose had a few high points - though the collision with Steve Walsh in 1987 during the Charlton - Leicester game wasn't one of them. Walsh was sent off and Melrose was 'knocked out cold'.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

Gordon Milne's book is out soon. It'll be fascinating to see how much of it is devoted to his five years ar Filbert Street. He had a long and distinguished career, so don't be surprised if there's just a single chapter - rather like last year's Martin O'Neill book.  Still - it should be well worth reading.

Malcolm Macdonald published his life story many years ago. The cover picture was pretty interesting:

book-cover.png

That's from the 1974 FA Cup Final when Newcastle were outclassed by Liverpool 3-0. Typically, Supermac had spent the days leading up to the final saying just what he was going to do to Liverpool. But on the day he completely misfired.

Here's that moment from a different angle:

Cup-Final.png

That's a still from a video. 

And if you watch the video, you can see how good that shot was:

That was the cover of his autobiography!

Here's Gordon's forthcoming book:

book.png

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, kushiro said:

Youngy always regretted leaving. He never had anything like the same success at Sheff Utd, Brighton and Notts County. Have you read his book? It's pretty harrowing.  Melrose had a few high points - though the collision with Steve Walsh in 1987 during the Charlton - Leicester game wasn't one of them. Walsh was sent off and Melrose was 'knocked out cold'.

No, haven't read his book. Sounds depressing. Looking back, losing Young/Melrose allowing the emergence of the Smith/Lineker duo was the best thing that could've happened. 

27 minutes ago, kushiro said:

Gordon Milne's book is out soon. It'll be fascinating to see how much of it is devoted to his five years ar Filbert Street. He had a long and distinguished career, so don't be surprised if there's just a single chapter - rather like last year's Martin O'Neill. book.  Still - it should be well worth reading.

Malcolm Macdonald published his life story many years ago. The cover picture was pretty interesting:

book-cover.png

That's from the 1974 FA Cup Final when Newcastle were outclassed by Liverpool 3-0. Typically, Supermac had spent the days leading up to the final saying just what he was going to do to Liverpool. But on the day he completely misfired.

Here's that moment from a different angle:

Cup-Final.png

That's a still from a video. 

And if you watch the video, you can see how good that shot was:

That was the cover of his autobiography!

Here's Gordon's forthcoming book:

book.png

I can remember him ballooning that into row Z and thinking at the time that we would've turned over Newcastle had we not messed up in the semi. That night at Villa Park was probably the worst of my teenage years. 

There's a few more extras to post on this topic. 

When the Melrose-English swap happened, English had to give up his Sky Blue Talbot Solara that all the squad had been given in a sponsorship deal Jimmy Hill had signed.  Hill wanted the club to change its name to Coventry Talbot, but they didn't get permission. There was also the kit, which had a massive T design. Here's Gerry Daly wearing it:

daly-T.png

I presume Jim Melrose got English's car because just after the move, this advert appeared in the Mercury:

melrose-car.png

Zoom in on that and you see this:

Melrose-car-2.png

The advert kept appearing in the paper's motoring section every week, and two months later it still hadn't been sold. 

So - does anyone know who bought Melrose's motor?

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

The following season was even more bizarre. Got beaten out of sight by some of the lesser lights early on (dropping Wallington for Grew was a disaster), brilliant middle of the season and a poor end. 

And the green away kit didn't help. I really liked that all red kit we wore in the Oldham video above - but that was the last time we ever wore it. New sponsors Ind Coope wanted us to wear their brand colours - green and gold.  Could've been worse, actually. The company were keen for us to wear it at Filbert Street too. We might even have had Leicester green v Coventry brown - the worst kit combination in history (I think they'd ditched brown by then though).

green.png

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I can’t read more than a couple of sentences without zoning out so I read the first sentence then mindlessly scrolled to the bottom of the thread to write a “humorous” comment. I’m a pathetic human being and hate myself deeply. 

I'll consider your feelings next time. Sorry - that original post is possibly the longest ever on foxestalk.

• Haha 1

That season was also very special for Nigel Pearson. 

At New Year in 1982/83, if anyone was going to chase down Fulham for the thrid promotion spot it looked like it would not be us, but Shrewsbury Town. The Shrews went to Craven Cottage on January 3rd knowing that a win would take them level on points with Fulham. Steve Cross even put them ahead - but then Fulham came back to win 2-1. That's where the Shrews' challenge ended. They didn't win again until March, and the chase was taken up by Leicester City instead.

Here''s Pearson on the day he first caught people's attention, in September 1982.

pearson-keegan.png

It's a great story. Here's a reminder: