Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

Time out after treatment

The rules on players having to leave the pitch following treatment really need looking at. I understand that this statutory time out was brought in to deter players from feigning injury to time waste but in many cases it actually penalises teams where a player is genuinely injured following a foul. On a number of occasions I have seen a player brought down on a breakaway resulting in treatment being required. Ok so the offender gets booked and a free kick awarded, but, the injured player has to leave the pitch so not only has the attack been broken up, the resulting free kick has to be taken with only ten men on the pitch, thereby putting the team that has been offended against at a disadvantage.

can anyone clarify what would happen if a player was fouled in the box requiring treatment, thereby having to leave the field, and that player was your regular nominated penalty taker? 

3 minutes ago, urban fox said:

The rules on players having to leave the pitch following treatment really need looking at. I understand that this statutory time out was brought in to deter players from feigning injury to time waste but in many cases it actually penalises teams where a player is genuinely injured following a foul. On a number of occasions I have seen a player brought down on a breakaway resulting in treatment being required. Ok so the offender gets booked and a free kick awarded, but, the injured player has to leave the pitch so not only has the attack been broken up, the resulting free kick has to be taken with only ten men on the pitch, thereby putting the team that has been offended against at a disadvantage.

can anyone clarify what would happen if a player was fouled in the box requiring treatment, thereby having to leave the field, and that player was your regular nominated penalty taker? 

The 2nd penalty taker takes it? 

6 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Don't think the injured player has to go off if the offender gets yellow carded? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The 2nd penalty taker takes it? 

But that’s the point, the team offended against is still potentially disadvantaged

15 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Don't think the injured player has to go off if the offender gets yellow carded? 

Didn’t know that, but if no yellow the disadvantage still applies.

my point though is that there needs to be some discretion on the part of the ref allowed here perhaps.

Is there a case for an orange card allied to a, say 5 minute, sin bin for persistent fouling none of which would warrant a card individually, or fouls not warranting a straight red but perhaps more than a yellow, for eg late tackle, not deliberate but potentially injurious. Once sin bin time completed, the orange reverts to yellow. 

What do you think?

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

If and when the players stop cheating, then rules can be made that don't assume the players are cheating.  I agree that the leave-the-pitch rules are rough on the player who has never feigned injury in his life, but does that man exist?  As for the ones who sometimes pretend to be hurt, they can always refer to Matilda in the poem, or the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Is it really that unneccesary to allow physios on to the pitch while continuing with play? Then only stop play if the physios give a signal that it's a genuine bad one, and by that I mean a stretcher is required, not he needs 20 seconds of magic spray applied. 

Either that or retrospective action for incidents where its considered the player is taking the mick. But even then the odd incident will slip through the net. 

Heard Carragher go off at somebody recently and whined we should just play on, even though it was a head injury lol incidentally I don't think his head was even touched but this is where we are screwed when a head injury guarantees a stoppage. Then the next day someone rightly pointed out that the physios are either in on this tactical feigning malarkey, or they are being mugged off by their own players. Just another modern game annoyance.

16 hours ago, Stinkenzo said:

Is it really that unneccesary to allow physios on to the pitch while continuing with play? Then only stop play if the physios give a signal that it's a genuine bad one, and by that I mean a stretcher is required, not he needs 20 seconds of magic spray applied. 

Either that or retrospective action for incidents where its considered the player is taking the mick. But even then the odd incident will slip through the net. 

Heard Carragher go off at somebody recently and whined we should just play on, even though it was a head injury lol incidentally I don't think his head was even touched but this is where we are screwed when a head injury guarantees a stoppage. Then the next day someone rightly pointed out that the physios are either in on this tactical feigning malarkey, or they are being mugged off by their own players. Just another modern game annoyance.

It's dangerous.  Unlike rugby, the ball pings about all over the place and they can never be sure that someone isn't going to run into the scene of the injury.  Even in rugby, they stop play as soon as the attack is heading in that direction, and their direction of attack is much more predictable.

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's dangerous.  Unlike rugby, the ball pings about all over the place and they can never be sure that someone isn't going to run into the scene of the injury.  Even in rugby, they stop play as soon as the attack is heading in that direction, and their direction of attack is much more predictable.

Maybe do what Rugby does in that case then. Easiest solution really would be for footballers to stop being cheating ***** 

Edited by Stinkenzo