Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Anyone remember when the Open University was on TV early mornings?

No brain dead drivel they have for day time TV now but intellectual, high brow and thoroughly fascinating programmes.

One of my favourites was module M101. Fundermental Theorem of Calculus.

Or even, Non-Euclidean Geometry, what a cracking course that was.

 

And this....

 

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 2
Posted
18 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Anyone remember when the Open University was on TV early mornings?

No brain dead drivel they have for day time TV now but intellectual, high brow and thoroughly fascinating programmes.

One of my favourites was module M101. Fundermental Theorem of Calculus.

Or even, Non-Euclidean Geometry, what a cracking course that was.

 

And this....

 

Daytime TV was very much programmes for schools and lessons would scheduled around them.

 

How We Used To Live was a favourite, though it scared me of ever getting Tetanus.

  • Like 2
Posted
24 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Daytime TV was very much programmes for schools and lessons would scheduled around them.

 

How We Used To Live was a favourite, though it scared me of ever getting Tetanus.

Also program called zigzag

Posted
1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Anyone remember when the Open University was on TV early mornings?

No brain dead drivel they have for day time TV now but intellectual, high brow and thoroughly fascinating programmes.

One of my favourites was module M101. Fundermental Theorem of Calculus.

Or even, Non-Euclidean Geometry, what a cracking course that was.

 

And this....

 

There was also a brilliant spoof comedy show of those OU programmes called Look Around You...

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Posted
2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

University rag mags.

 

Used to get loads of new jokes from them.

I remember that some of them were really, really good - sort of in the spirit of Viz.

 

I bought a 'comic' from a homeless guy selling them in Manchester not long ago that looked like it might be a similar sort of thing but the 'jokes' were just really racist and barely jokes so that was disappointing

  • Haha 1
Posted

I watched an episode of Mastermind from the mid-70s on BBC4 the other day because I'm a right laugh, and I did not realise how subjective the questions were back then. Nowadays there is very much a definitive answer, but there were various questions along the lines of 'what is meant by the term 'offside' in football?'. Very odd!

 

Bamber Gascogine also dropped the N-bomb followed by 'blacks' in a question about boxing - it was quite a ride. 

Posted
In the 1950s, a school medical involved routine physical inspections by visiting school doctors and nurses to check children for hygiene, vision, hearing, and infectious diseases.
Doctors checked posture, heart sounds, throats, and general growth. The "nit nurse" regularly inspected children's hair for head lice. Basic vision eye charts and rudimentary hearing audiometer tests were standard. Nurses looked for smallpox vaccination scars.
I'm convinced I never had a school medical, for not long after commencing senior school a teacher discovered I needed glasses. All I recall from my junior school days was the travelling dentist and nit nurse.
 
May be an image of studying, clothes iron, hospital and text
 
I remember these at junior school. I also went to the Dentist at Jonathan North Girls School on Knighton Lane East after having one of my front teeth half knocked out. Had to have gas when they took the remains out.
Posted
7 hours ago, davieG said:
In the 1950s, a school medical involved routine physical inspections by visiting school doctors and nurses to check children for hygiene, vision, hearing, and infectious diseases.
Doctors checked posture, heart sounds, throats, and general growth. The "nit nurse" regularly inspected children's hair for head lice. Basic vision eye charts and rudimentary hearing audiometer tests were standard. Nurses looked for smallpox vaccination scars.
I'm convinced I never had a school medical, for not long after commencing senior school a teacher discovered I needed glasses. All I recall from my junior school days was the travelling dentist and nit nurse.
 
May be an image of studying, clothes iron, hospital and text
 
I remember these at junior school. I also went to the Dentist at Jonathan North Girls School on Knighton Lane East after having one of my front teeth half knocked out. Had to have gas when they took the remains out.

They still did the "cough and drop" when I was at school in the late 70s to early 80s.

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

They still did the "cough and drop" when I was at school in the late 70s to early 80s.

I remember a mate at school (early 1970s) insisting his sister had had a 'cough & drop' examination.

We were in hysterics.

That said, these days, who knows?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1
Posted
On 24/09/2026 at 21:27, Trav Le Bleu said:

They still did the "cough and drop" when I was at school in the late 70s to early 80s.

I remember queuing for the cough and drop, as I recall it was both exciting and scary in equal measure!

Posted (edited)
On 24/09/2026 at 21:27, Trav Le Bleu said:

They still did the "cough and drop" when I was at school in the late 70s to early 80s.

They were purely for the satisfaction of the weird doctor/nurse.

 

I wonder what has replaced it,

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...