Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nolucklcfc

So … do we have bottle?

Teams that generally stay and win together develop a sense of togetherness which, over time develops bottle. We witnessed that first hand. Of course there are exceptions which you cannot explain, last year’s team for example. 

The bond, between the players and fans, which I believe we lost after last season, can only benefit us, long term. I do some times wonder if our two CL runs would’ve been different had we had a packed KP in games v United and Spurs (noted: it was part filled). Regardless what many say, things that UFS, the fans etc. did v WBA and Saints certainly played a part and you could see it. 

The club went through a horrendous experience last year. Seeing people like Tielemans and co insult, ridicule and down right disrespect what is our badge/team has left a scare. It’s unfair that this team has had to have to suffer the emotional rollercoaster that the fans went through this season. However, as the “wounds” get healed, the faith that it will come good in the end may just return in the majority. 

The pressure in modern football is constant. In the 90s players could switch it off and that makes it ten times harder which might explain the tendency for the “bottlejobs” tag/impact being so prevelant in the game today. Do we have bottle ? As much as the next team but external factors certainly play a part. 

Still think the jury is out with regard to bottle as something the team has as a trait. We showed great bottle against West Brom. Southampton folded like a deck chair and we played well. 

I think there is an inherent fragility within the squad. Hopefully something which can be ironed out before next seasons slog, or we will be down here again in short order. 

10 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Still think the jury is out with regard to bottle as something the team has as a trait. We showed great bottle against West Brom. Southampton folded like a deck chair and we played well. 

I think there is an inherent fragility within the squad. Hopefully something which can be ironed out before next seasons slog, or we will be down here again in short order. 

How can a promoted team/squad be inherently fragile?  Hyperbole. You win some and you lose some. What word would describe Rotherham? 

All the naysayers of recent weeks, "I can't see Leeds losing again this season", "where's our next win coming from?", "we ALWAYS* bottle it", etc.

Turns out Leeds and Ipswich have less bottle than us.

* Despite the fact we are historically the most successful team at getting promoted from the 2nd tier.

• Like 1

This team does have a certain fragility or complacency when things start going wrong, has for several seasons now, we need a couple of strong voices in the squad with experience of the PL next season that can lead on the pitch .

1 hour ago, Rossiter said:

How can a promoted team/squad be inherently fragile?  Hyperbole. You win some and you lose some. What word would describe Rotherham? 

I didn’t mean promoted. I meant in general. I think that fragility has been there since we bottled 4th place in the Prem. I still think it’s there. No matter the squad changes. We will see I guess. 

We've gone a little way to restoring our reputation this season but it's very much a work in progress on our mental strength as a club. It's been shattered over recent years and we were seeing signs of that this season.

Our big game record, whilst very suspect has also become a bit more solid in the last few months.

Of the teams we've played in the top 7 since February, we've won 3, drew 1, lost 1.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I didn’t mean promoted. I meant in general. I think that fragility has been there since we bottled 4th place in the Prem. I still think it’s there. No matter the squad changes. We will see I guess. 

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

All the naysayers of recent weeks, "I can't see Leeds losing again this season", "where's our next win coming from?", "we ALWAYS* bottle it", etc.

Turns out Leeds and Ipswich have less bottle than us.

* Despite the fact we are historically the most successful team at getting promoted from the 2nd tier.

So true.

All season. Up til December we were going to finish behind Ipswich. They won one game between Boxing Day and Feb 16th. Then Saints had that run and we were going to be caught by them. They lost 4 of their next 6. Then Leeds were on a roll. Their plunge might not be over yet. This division is horrible. I've said it all season and repeated my dislike of it constantly. I don't care for the "greatest league" crap or the "most competitive" it's just horrible. The runs we had with one defeat in 17 etc spoiled us and quite a few people forgot the nature of the division. Dominate games but lose to a mad deflection, have all the possession, lose to a worldie. Teams stepping up to beat the big dogs.

The irony in all this bottle nonsense is the only people lacking bottle are certain sections in our fanbase. Fickle AF and you only have to see a few comments in the match and pre-match threads to understand the mentality. Unfortunately a few of them have subscribers and public appeal and the negativity spreads. I don't doubt the same will happen next season and all the people saying we'll struggle will forget that and go after the manager and the players anyway.

• Like 4